Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » call me crazy

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
call me crazy
Mandrake Root Produc
Member #300
April 2000

but i think allegro needs a mascot. any ideas?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

It must be an allegator. Period.

Hmm ... maybe I should try designing one. Better still, make it the next Pixelate contest. Design the Allegro mascot!

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Mandrake Root Produc
Member #300
April 2000

ugh...i dunnno, an alligator? Hmm, i was thinking something more an angel on fire, holding a sword, or a dragon, or something dramitc and video-gamey.

Shade
Member #1,152
April 2001

great idea .
Allegroid sound kinda mechanic to me so something mechanical/cyberisch.
Maybe something like a dragon(ie big allegator )but definatelly not organic.
Shade

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Allegro ... alligator ... they sound the same, so why not? If Linux can be a penguin ...

We can make him Italian, cartoony, could be mechanical. I say it's the next Pixelate comp.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

We've already got Alex...

Mandrake Root Produc
Member #300
April 2000

Alex??? Who the hell is that?

and btw, does anyone know the new allegro home page (sourceforge one)? the link in the about is to the old page.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Alex is an Allegator.

Allegro web page
[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: peter ]

Johan Peitz
Member #9
April 2000

I created Alex the Allegator (misspelling intended) for my entry to the first Allegro Speedhack contest. He made his first apperance in a non-finished platform scroller.
Some time ago I was asked it Alex could be used as the Allegro icon/macot/whatever by the developing people and I said yes.
At the moment, Alex only exist as a lowres sprite, but I think that is enough.
Visit Alex.

--
johan peitz :: things I made

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Johan I admire your work, which you already know because I've emailed you asking questions when you directed me to this site. Heh guess you could say that you are my mentor :D. Anyways I like the mascot now, but I think we should make a new mascot for the Allegro.CC site. The allegro homepage at talula.demon.co.uk can keep alex, but I say we create a mascot for this site and make it the next competition after the digger competion. Has anyone emailed the one that does the pixelate magazine to give him this idea? If not I'll do it. Not like I have anything else to do right now :D. But even I'd get in on that competition because I'm a fairly good comic book style and anime style artist. I like the idea for a mascot competition in Pixelate issue #8.

Johan Peitz
Member #9
April 2000

DestEnt... Thanks, didn't know I had a fanbase. :)

Anyway, I felt like hotting up my current Alex and here's the result.

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d98peitz/pixel/alex_A.gif

Second, a competition is not a bad idea. But! If allegro 4.0 is due for xmas then we don't have time to wait until next pixelate. Why not let people just post their ideas/suggestions/images to this thread (or another new thread) and then we can decide/vote together? That's not so hard, is it? Also, if the artists gets feedback on their work they can improve it and make it better.

--

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Johan I do believe you got the better idea. I agree just post our images here and let people vote. That is of course if Matthew will actually put it up on the site though.

Secondly, I like the image you did of Alex. Unfortunately I'm using Geocities so I'll have to make, scan, and color with art software and then post the link because of Geocities not wanting to work appropriately with Allegro.CC :(. Oh well I'll get to work on my idea :D.

Oh and Johan I just got into my destined_ent@hotmail.com account, it had been down for some reason, and I'm downloading the beta version of Hell Carrier and will have a report back to you soon :).

Johnny13
Member #805
October 2000

Peitz! I'm your fans too!
I draw the cover of Allegro book before!

Alg3D Praise my Games!!<code>#define SPAMMER (post>=666&&postperday>=6)</code><Mr.spellcaster>What post? <Mr.spellcaster>A useful post by me.

Johan Peitz
Member #9
April 2000

Heh, ok. :) Just so you know. I didn't draw that creature on your book. It's from Ari Feldman's SpriteLib. :)

--

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Quote:

call me crazy

Okay, crazy. ;)

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Johan what book is he referring to ????

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

I agree just post our images here and let people vote.

Well? Where are they? :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

yoheeb
Member #917
January 2001

why not some take-off on pong?

maybe a little pong "table" with legs and arms.

the paddles could be the eyes, the ball the nose.

Jay

Measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk and cut it with an axe.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Erm .... you can do a helluva lot more with Allegro than Pong. That's kinda the image to avoid there.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Bradley Bergeron
Member #1,102
March 2001

yea i'd say pong is a no-no.

i kinda like the allegator idea.

perhaps if i may take some time to see if i can draw one...

Mandrake Root Produc
Member #300
April 2000

I'm working on mine....looks pretty cool if you ask me. But I don't if I can top Alex...

Idealius
Member #1,619
November 2001

Instead you might just announce a mascot competition @ http://www.devart.com there's a lot of good artists there, and you'll get a lot of quality responses. Plus designs from artists rather than programmers usually turns up better.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Hey, I was an artist long before I became a programmer :D

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

quote:
Instead you might just announce a mascot competition @ http://www.devart.com there's a lot of good artists there, and you'll get a lot of quality responses. Plus designs from artists rather than programmers usually turns up better.

Well Idealius I have the best of both worlds. I'm a writer (I wrote novels for students throughout school; adult, child, romance, science fiction; you name it I wrote it), I'm an artist (I draw both modern comic book style referred to as the western style and manga style; again I do anything if the idea catches me right); I have been drawing for well over 11 years (I started in 3rd grade as a way to cope with my father's murder and I just stuck with it after that). I've been designing games for 3 years at most using things included on games (ie. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2's Park Editor, RPG Maker, etc.). Finally, I've been doing programming for the past year now and I'm understanding the concepts perfectly, but I just seem to have trouble figuring out how to code it right (that's why I'm relying on trial and error until I get some experience under my belt ). The point in telling you this is to point out that not all "programmers" are just programmers, we call ourselves programmers, but we are actually a lot more. Take Johan Pietz for example he does the programming, graphics, music, and several other things that go into his games. So saying what you did was too stereotypical.

Idealius
Member #1,619
November 2001

actually its deviantart.com sorry 'bout that. But anyway, yeah I draw CG, and I'm rather good at it, but that's not the point. The point is if you do this @ deviantart you'll get 10x the amount of submissions @ 10x the quality.

Go to: