Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Google Translate is Literally Hitler » Reply

Forums: Google Translate is Literally Hitler: Reply
This section is only available to registered Allegro.cc members.
 Thread Review
torhu:

Go to Google Translate and type in "ooga booga nigga nigga" (you might have to press Detect Language to get it to recognize the phrase). Really ;D

MiquelFire:

Somali? And what does this have to do with Hitler exactly?

Chris Katko:

THE CONSPIRACY WAS TRUE.

THE BRIEFCASE IS IN THE TUB.

THE MONEY IS WET.

CODE PANDA. CODE PANDA.

torhu:

Uh, did any of you guys actually try it? ::)

Eric Johnson:

Machine translators are notoriously terrible, but this gave me a nice chuckle. :P

Chris Katko:

I actually did.

Specter Phoenix:

Google Translate likes its niece a little too much. Should I be turning it into the FBI or local authorities?

I did laugh as I typoed and did ooga booga nigga niga which then got me trying
ooga booga niga niga, ooga boga niga niga and oga boga niga niga which all actually translated from Somali and Japanese to English phrases.

torhu:

What? Ok, I guess you have to live in Europe to get this joke.

Bob Keane:

I got "I was in my niece".

raynebc:

If that was the whole joke, it's pretty weak.

jhuuskon:

I hate Google translate, machine translation and the whole concept of statistical linguistics. Sure, it works between all the major language with massive written corpus, i.e. english and french, german, spanish and such because their grammars are relatively simple and they're not very synthetic, but it fails hard with smaller and highly synthetic languages such as finnish where there is limited written corpus and extensive agglutination.

And with the exception of maybe the estonians, hungarians and polish, people don't realise that. Fuck, Google doesn't realise that. Nowhere is it more obvious and infuriating than in the Google Play store. App developers in their ignorance think they're doing a favour buy machine translating their app descriptions, but the reality is the end result is always unintelligble gibberish. And with Google being Google, you can't change the description language in Play store without changing the system language in your Android device. So if I need an app for some reason, the Play store is absolutely useless for that and I'm forced to search the web for what I need.

Specter Phoenix:
torhu said:

What? Ok, I guess you have to live in Europe to get this joke.

Yeah, because in the states, seeing the translation implies incest (or something else if niece is a minor) which are serious topics that have no humor to them (unless you count the redneck stereotype comedians and movies use). If you are trying to make a subtle joke, then it was so subtle that I missed it.

Bruce Perry:

I get "I have been in my niece" in the UK.

torhu, it seems as if we all get different things, so what do you get? Specter, don't judge :)

Specter Phoenix:

Specter, don't judge

Sorry, I keep forgetting we are in the political correctness era where facts and explaining are judging, sexism, racism, phobias all in one. Feels also now beat science and biology. What a great time to be alive and anti-social! ;)

Edgar Reynaldo:

Trash in, trash out. What did you expect? Daisies?

torhu:

I get "I have been in my niece" in the UK.

Yes, that's what I get.

The point is that something that just sounds like quasi racist gibberish is turned into something semi incestuous by GT. It helps to know that Somali culture is hardly modern, and comes with a lot of crap that we now have to deal with here in Europe. For instance, Somali women do not automatically become free and independent when they relocate to a western country, not even if they are born here.

Specter Phoenix:

What I was talking about, all discovered because of a typo in the original:

video

torhu:

Wow, now I want to learn Somali ;D

Bruce Perry:

I'm missing something. Was Hitler known for indulging in his niece?

Specter, I think we're on the same side. We both seem to be more than happy to laugh at politically incorrect jokes after all :)

Neil Roy:

I understood the humour. You people really need to lighten up a bit.

Edgar Reynaldo:

yeah, if you think babies sodomizing kitties is no big deal, then you probably don't mind a little incest here and there either. :/

Chris Katko:

This thread about hitler makes me sad. :(

jhuuskon:

I'm missing something. Was Hitler known for indulging in his niece?

Hitler did have a sort of not-entirely-wholesome relationship with his niece Geli Raubal, though as with everything regarding Hitler's personal life, there's several orders of magnitude more speculation and straight up fabrication than actual verifiable information and there is no consensus on the nature of that relationship.

Bruce Perry:

...Niece. 8-)

Neil Roy:

yeah, if you think babies sodomizing kitties is no big deal, then you probably don't mind a little incest here and there either. :/

<angry post deleted>
If you can't see why calling me a pedophile and incestuous upset me, you never will.

I won't keep apologizing for that photo. I thought it was funny and never seen it in the same light you did. Anyhow, I removed my bookmarks for this site and will be staying away from it. I don't need this crap in my life.

Have a good one.

torhu:

Since we're on the topic... ;D

video

Edgar Reynaldo:

I'd like to see you try, Neil. ;)

Chris Katko:

I thought it was funny. Reminde me of this:

video

[edit]

Also HOLY CRAP. It's good-as-hell the Nazi's didn't have YouTube in 1930's:

video

Because almost impossible to not nod along with this video.

/secret_nazi_status_confirmed

/journalism_snooping_win

/chris_katko_literally_a_nazi

jhuuskon:

Adolf knows how to do it and he does it real well.

video

Bruce Perry:

Yes. Yes he does.

video

Arvidsson:
Quote:

<angry post deleted>

When people insult me, I try to view them as small children or perhaps dogs. If a dog is barking at me, I don't get angry. It's just a dog, it doesn't know better. Thus, my feeling are not affected. It takes practice though, but it's really nice when you're able to completely ignore negative and annoying people. If you study their words, you understand that they are often really talking about themselves and their own problems and not about you. So, anger turns to pity. I often feel sorry for the insulters in the end instead of being angry at them.

torhu:

{"name":"611078","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0a4bc886bffcb5b869617344327df0b6.jpg","w":500,"h":313,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0a4bc886bffcb5b869617344327df0b6"}611078

Bruce Perry:

Wow, I missed that.

I also remember being sensitive to that kind of criticism, and in my case, the problem was I really believed I must be getting everything wrong and every criticism was valid. In the end, my perceptiveness improved over time, I had some CBT which raised my self-awareness in such situations, and - probably the most important thing - I gained some good support networks, in the form of colleagues, orchestras, even people like my piano teacher - you can find good allies in all sorts of unexpected places. These aren't people I bring every problem to, just people who like me and I know it, so that I don't have to go through life blaming myself every time someone doesn't.

Everyone's problem is different, but if Neil is still reading this, then there's a checklist - see if any of that is missing and could help. The comment from Edgar should really have stayed in the thread it related to, but it's worth finding ways to be more resilient to curve-ball criticisms if you can, since you never know when and in which community the next one will happen.

Edgar Reynaldo:

This was discussed privately. We're both good. No problems between us. Miscommunication. I was criticizing his sense of humor, not his character. Don't worry your pretty little heads. ;P
:-*

Bruce Perry:

Yay! <3

Neil Roy:

This was discussed privately. We're both good.

Agreed.

Lesson, don't post on social media when you're having a bad day. I am sort of glad about this because this sort of thing always causes me to take a second look at myself and re-examine what I do. I'll definitely be more careful in the future.

Bruce Perry:

Did you just call allegro.cc "social media"? :o I resent being accused of using social media, you Nazi ;D

Intended fully in silliness - hope that's obvious :)

Neil Roy:

Now sure what else to call this. ;)