Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Visual Studio Express - failed to probe for manifest

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Visual Studio Express - failed to probe for manifest
obstriegel
Member #8,984
August 2007

Hello!
This Topic has been discussed already but I dont find the button to reply to it, since the problem has not been solved.

I did everything described in the wiki ( http://wiki.allegro.cc/Visual_C%2B%2B_Express_2005 )

The "hello world" application seems to compile, but on startup I get the following error message:

"LDR: LdrpWalkImportDescriptor() failed to probe C:\WINDOWS\system32\alld42.dll for its manifest, ntstatus 0xc0150002" :-/

Do I need to disable everything that has to do with manifests? Or did I miss something else?

Again, the IDE is "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition" running on "Windows XP " with Service Pack 2 and the latest patches.
On my other machine (Ubuntu Feisty) a "apt-get install liballegro4.2-dev" did it and there it works well. But for all my microsoft-friends I want a version running in windows.

Regards,
Pascal Klein

Celso Dantas
Member #8,925
August 2007

I've experiencing the same error.

Few days ago everything was working fine. And for some reason I downloaded allegro again and installed it on my windows [just subscribing files] and now i can't run allegro's games. I think 'alld42.dll' file is corrupted or something.

any clue?

tnks. 8-)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If you think the DLL is bad, try the MSVC 6 one and see if it works.

Josh1billion
Member #7,646
August 2006

I'm having a problem that sounds similar so I'll add in my question/problem rather than starting a new topic... Today I installed VC++ Express 2005 and Allegro 4.2.2, and I tried to compile+run my game that I had been working on (I wrote it using Allegro 4.2.0 or 4.2.1, one of the two). Now it compiles fine but running it says that it failed to initialize the application properly. Are there any major differences between the recent Allegro versions that would cause this?

--
www.JoshForde.com - my games.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Actually there is a problem with 4.2.2. I used 4.2.1 and I had no problem. See this thread.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

http://wiki.allegro.cc/Visual_C%2B%2B_Express_2005#Deployment

If you cannot run a game on the same computer that you are developing on, you should just build Allegro yourself. 4.2.2 comes with project files.

Josh1billion
Member #7,646
August 2006

Are there any 4.2.1 binaries for MSVC8 still online? I can't find them on Allegro.cc, looks like they've been removed as of 4.2.2's release.

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I repeat: If you cannot run a game on the same computer that you are developing on, you should just build Allegro yourself. 4.2.2 comes with project files.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

I have attached my own version of 4.2.1...hope it helps (some things are stripped out to keep the size down).

Josh1billion
Member #7,646
August 2006

Thanks Axilmar, that fixed the problem and now everything's working again, so I can get back to work on my game before long. :)

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It would actually be nice if you would have done what I said so that we could actually determine what the real problem is.

Josh1billion
Member #7,646
August 2006

That's more of a hassle for me personally, really. You said project files were packaged in with 4.2.2, but there were no VC8 project files in there to quickly click+build within seconds. Some makefiles, but to my knowledge, VC8 doesn't know how to understand them.

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Okay, twice I said, "4.2.2 comes with project files."

You go to the build directory. Double click the batch file. Then go to msvc6/7/8. Double click the Allegro project file. Select Batch Build from the menu and select the ones you want. Click build.

Josh1billion
Member #7,646
August 2006

Ah I see, I didn't see those project files earlier. When you said project files, I figured you were talking about the makefiles.

--

Celso Dantas
Member #8,925
August 2007

thaaaaaaaaaaank you :D

after rebuilding the allegro, and recompiling my game now it works fine. =D

still think dll files from allegro/file [web] are broken.
well. thanks.

now it works fine.
=*

Go to: