Microsoft releases source code to GW-BASIC
Arthur Kalliokoski

https://github.com/microsoft/GW-BASIC

It seems like about 10 years ago somebody had a thread where MS had released source code to MS-DOS, but I can't seem to find it now.

I suppose if they'd released this last year somebody could have used it to make something better than MS apps, but now they think it's safe

bamccaig

Trying to read through this much assembly hurts my head. :P I don't know how they used to do it (albeit, this took months to accomplish, and is outside my wheelhouse).

RmBeer2

Are you by any chance Klys in the chat?
i reminded GW-BASIC created by another company

@bamccaig , usage is similar to C64 BASIC, I think I remember that the way the code is stored in memory and executed is also the same.

Edgar Reynaldo

Where can I get 5 1/4 floppy drives these days...???

LennyLen

Where can I get 5 1/4 floppy drives these days...???

Ebay

Edgar Reynaldo

I've got an 8086 with a blown monitor.

I've got an i286 that won't post.

I've got a lappie that won't get past ultra fail safe shit.

Can I get a USB adapter for a 5 1/4 drive? I doubt they even made such a thing.

LennyLen

Can I get a USB adapter for a 5 1/4 drive? I doubt they even made such a thing.

I've only ever seen them for 3.5" drives.

Johan Halmén

I have this in the attic:

{"name":"bondwell162.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/4\/e420c95cefa7574495733adc8bf3e024.jpg","w":508,"h":436,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/4\/e420c95cefa7574495733adc8bf3e024"}bondwell162.jpg

I haven't tried it in 20 years. I toasted some components because of a non standard serial cable. I blew the great 8 bit sound system, which was sad, because it had a funny speech synthesizer.

I think it had some MBASIC interpreter. But most of all it had a great assembler for Z80, which was very cool.

Mark Oates

GW-BASIC was one of the first languages I ever programmed in.

Strangely enough, one of the first things I tried to do was create a game loop.

amarillion

Awesome, this was iconic software

Thread #618149. Printed from Allegro.cc