Slant
beoran

Recently, allegero is doing very well on Slant. https://www.slant.co/topics/341/viewpoints/11/~best-2d-game-engines~allegro

If you haven't commented yet, perhaps it would be a good idea to do so and help popularize allegro even more.

Chris Katko

What is slant? ???

Also, I made an account and voted. Most of the "cons" that were listed were like... completely wrong.

And "poor interoperability with C++ (and you need to write tons of C++ wrappers)" is kind of insane. Allegro is almost entirely a singleton. How many wrappers do you really need? One for a resource manager, and... AND? And the fact that DAllegro exists and works great (when D is a higher level than C++, OOP language) seems to me a completely disproven argument without specific examples.

I'm hoping to do some gamedev and YouTube videos in the nearish future (hoping my health improves) and I'll definitely be citing Allegro as my go-to.

Specter Phoenix

Wrappers? Only time I do wrappers is if I want to consolidate like the init code int one call otherwise I just chuck the calls in main and go to town. That is my attitude with any library. Slant must be named for a slanted or bad view of programming. Which I question more as it says 2D Game Engine, but then lists libraries and game engines as game engines.

beoran

Well, I also think Slant is a bit ... strange at times, but when you Google for things like 2d game programming it comes up quite high. If this gets a few more people interested into Allegro, then it might be worth the effort.

Specter Phoenix

My concern is that hopeful developers will not read their descriptions, see it under 2D game engines and equate it to Unreal, Unity, GameMaker, etc. then be turned off due to it not being that at all. Seems more hopefuls want to use the above mentioned engines (especially Unity as it seems terrible asset flips from Unity are swarming Steam) instead of learning the nuts and bolts of programming a game with a library. I know this is just a misplaced concern, but it is still a concern regardless.

beoran

Maybe some oeople will be dissapointed, but others might be surprised to find out a high level game engine isnt needed for the puzzle game they want to make. I am sure we will be able to help both kinds of newbies if they make it here.

Mark Oates

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure this website and article were generated to get google traffic and gain keyword authority. It doesn't strike me as an actual, curated, useful resource, but rather it strikes me as more of a search traffic magnet.

Chris Katko

It really does seem like a modern equivalent of a search portal / link farm.

beoran

Well, the content is written by the contributors, like myself, but I can't help what other people are saying, apart from flagging. For the rest it is indeed a bit of a link farm, but if it helps to get people to know Allegro, then I don't mind too much. And the Slant article on 2d game engine does appear in the first page of a Bing or Google search, so, I think it is a useful opportunity. Once they come to our web site they will get more accurate information an they can decide for themselves.

Thread #617118. Printed from Allegro.cc