Allegro Wiki Is Back
Thomas Fjellstrom

I've re-enabled editing on the wiki. I gave up bothering with allegro.cc single sign one, and switched to google oauth.

People will need to create a new account, then if wanted i can merge their old account with their new account.

Bruce Perry

Wicked :)

Gideon Weems

Wikid. :)

SiegeLord

Nice, thanks Thomas!

I notice that the files still seem to be missing, is that expected? E.g. see the screenshots here: https://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Windows,_Visual_Studio_2015_and_Nuget_Allegro_5.

Edgar Reynaldo

Hey Tomasu,

I had a problem trying to login with my a.cc google email account.

The wiki says :

Quote:

The supplied credentials are not associated with any user.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Edgar, did you create a new account first? Sign up with google first, then you can log in.

SiegeLord said:

I notice that the files still seem to be missing, is that expected?

Nothing should be missing :o

edit: I think the images are fixed.

Elias

Nice! I created a new user elias2 - is there a way to merge that into my old allegro.cc user account somehow?

Thomas Fjellstrom

Fixed the image issues I hope.

Elias said:

Nice! I created a new user elias2 - is there a way to merge that into my old allegro.cc user account somehow?

I believe so.

Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar, did you create a new account first? Sign up with google first, then you can log in.

Do you mean I have to create a new account with Google? I already have like 3.

Is it possible for you to white-list all the allegro.cc email addresses? That way anyone with an allegro.cc account could login using their allegro gmail account. That would be nice anyway.

Edgar

SiegeLord

Edgar, you need to hit 'create account' on the wiki and then enter your Google address in the email address field. Then you can log in using that email address.

Thanks, Thomas, for fixing the images! It seems that everything is working fine.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Do you mean I have to create a new account with Google?

No, just hit the create account link on the wiki.

Quote:

Is it possible for you to white-list all the allegro.cc email addresses? That way anyone with an allegro.cc account could login using their allegro gmail account. That would be nice anyway.

In order to authenticate through google, everything has to be done by the user. All the wiki does is forward you to google, and google returns us a magic token which we then use to get your basic information.

SiegeLord said:

Edgar, you need to hit 'create account' on the wiki and then enter your Google address in the email address field.

I believe the email field is ignored. All that's needed is a unique nickname/username and the wiki pulls your email from google. then once you have an account, you just hit login and google does its magic.

Edgar Reynaldo

Error.

{"name":"610935","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/5\/e5ea5c6f2300dd5f903b0e59949b8252.png","w":599,"h":554,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/5\/e5ea5c6f2300dd5f903b0e59949b8252"}610935

So there's no way to import a.cc's google accounts? They can login to google, why can't they login to the wiki? That's what Single Sign On is for, right?

amarillion

Great to hear, thanks Thomas!

bamccaig
Quote:
Oops, there was an error. Please go back and try again. Message: {

"error": {
 "code": 500,
 "message": null
}

} 

:(

Felix-The-Ghost

It said my name was already being used, but I don't remember making an account. When I click log in it says The supplied credentials are not associated with any user on this wiki. :(

SiegeLord

Gosh, this is like an IQ test. You can't use the same username as your allegro.cc user name, because wiki used to use allegro.cc's usernames, so I imagine they're all pre-registered. So you need a new user name, and it'll work :P.

bamccaig

Worked a second time. My guess:

video

Felix-The-Ghost
SiegeLord said:

Gosh, this is like an IQ test. You can't use the same username as your allegro.cc user name, because wiki used to use allegro.cc's usernames, so I imagine they're all pre-registered. So you need a new user name, and it'll work :P.

Subtle burn. You used an emoticon so it's okay though :P

Edgar Reynaldo

My IQ is fine. :P (See what I did, I used an emoticon there...)

I realize a different user name will work, but this is kind of obnoxious having to jump through hoops like this.

Why can't we import the a.cc google email addresses and usernames again? I'm having trouble understanding this point.

Elias

The previous wiki has no access to the allegro.cc login info (email and password) - it used the SSO service provided by allegro.cc. The new wiki also has no direct user accounts, instead it uses google SSO/oauth/whatever. Unless someone uses a gmail email address on allegro.cc I don't think there is any way to link accounts automatically.

LennyLen
Elias said:

Unless someone uses a gmail email address on allegro.cc I don't think there is any way to link accounts automatically.

That's tricky, since a lot of us have been members since before gmail existed.

Edgar Reynaldo

I thought everyone had a gmail account through google since some time now -

https://www.allegro.cc/cc/personal-email

LennyLen

I'd completely forgotten about that, having never used it.

bamccaig

I linked my Google account to A.cc too, but I'm not sure that the wiki paired the two. It doesn't matter all that much to me though. I've only edited a single page or two before.

Thomas Fjellstrom

There is no easy way to migrate a.cc sso to google sso. They both use magic "tokens" and other such shenanigans.

If by chance the allegro auth wasn't broken, i could have both enabled, and you could link your acc account to a google sso account... buutt... nah.

Edgar Reynaldo

So, we can't have our old user names, we can't use our existing google email addresses, and we have to make yet another new account with the wiki. Correct? Or am I missing something.

bamccaig

You can probably use your existing Google email address (I did), but you'll probably need to pick a new username on the wiki.

Edgar Reynaldo

a.cc's username and password are not the same as the google email username and password. I don't see why you need to use allegro.cc's auth in any way.

Isn't there a way to just white-list a.cc email addresses? Or associate them with our allegro.cc user names?

bamccaig

He doesn't have access to A.cc email addresses... What he probably has is a list of user names in his database. The SSO authentication with A.cc probably just passed over a token and maybe our A.cc usernames. Google doesn't know our A.cc usernames. Only our Google account. To have any way to match them, we'd have to somehow provide Thomas with a mapping of our Google accounts and A.cc usernames. But then how can he verify that? I suppose he could email the Google account with a confirmation request, but that's extra code that he'd have to write on top of the mapping code... And he's a busy man these days!

Edgar Reynaldo

I'm sure there's a simple mapping from actual allegro.cc username to a.cc google email address. They're typically the same, minus some munging to get rid of capitals and spaces and such.

Whatever. If nobody is even willing to consider this, I'm just going to create a new account. And I'm gonna name it Thomas The Spank Engine.

All I want to do is associate my user name on the wiki (which is already there) with my a.cc google email address (which is already there). Making a new account and having Thomas merge it with the old one is more work than is necessary, and will take even more of his time than white-listing a.cc email addresses would be.

We can still sign in to allegro.cc - so it's auth can't be that broken. Besides, they're the same domain! wiki.allegro.cc should have access to the same cookies that www.allegro.cc does.

</whining>

Thomas Fjellstrom

So, we can't have our old user names, we can't use our existing google email addresses, and we have to make yet another new account with the wiki. Correct? Or am I missing something.

I can merge accounts, as I mentions already more than once.

Edgar Reynaldo

Gah, merging accounts is a giant manual waste of time. I already have an account! Why can't I just associate it with my gmail account? I don't get it.

bamccaig

A.cc's authentication is working fine. The wiki doesn't have access to A.cc's database. ML has that on a machine half a continent away from the wiki, and Thomas [probably] doesn't have direct access to it. The way authentication used to work on the wiki was similar to how you can authenticate on A.cc using Google. A.cc doesn't get to look at Google's database for that. Your browser stores a secret token on one site and sends it to the other site and the servers communicate with each other in the background to verify the authentication.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Gah, merging accounts is a giant manual waste of time. I already have an account! Why can't I just associate it with my gmail account? I don't get it.

Mostly what Bambams said.

The old A.cc single sign on does not give me access to allegro.cc accounts in any way, other than sending the user to a.cc to login, it sends me back a token, which i then request the user information with.

Google's works similarly. With it's OAuth, you forward the user to Google's login, sends a token back to the site, which then uses that token to request user information from google.

The major problem is that Mediawiki's new authentication/authorisation framework changes how things work, and the GoogleLogin extension is a bit basic. It will allow a user to link an existing account to a Google user, BUT, and this is a BIG but... That requires the old auth method to work. It currently doesn't. The accauth extension needs to be finished, and it currently isn't. Nor do I care too much about doing it now.

I have no problem with manually merging accounts for people, and I gave sysop's and allegrodev group members on the wiki permission to do it as well. But I require anyone doing it has to make sure the user is who they say they are before merging accounts.

MiquelFire

Could you merge Miquelfire and MiquelFire

I was wondering how I was able to use my username at first.

bamccaig

I am bamccaig and bambams. >:(

Thomas Fjellstrom

Ok, merged you two and SiegeLord into your old accounts (I hope!) it should be automatic for you fellows.

append: Just merged Edgar's accounts too.

FYI: Merging manually like this is actually less time consuming than rewriting auth providers and hacking others to work better, etc. Not a lot of wiki users that'll actually care about their old history.

LennyLen

Because clearly, this was all done deliberately to inconvenience you.

Edgar Reynaldo

Well when you get ignored multiple times, you start to wonder why it can't be done.

Edit
Also, I've been a little short lately. Not sure why.

bamccaig

Maybe your hormone levels are girly.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Well when you get ignored multiple times, you start to wonder why it can't be done.

You weren't ignored :P you were given answers multiple times.

Thread #616938. Printed from Allegro.cc