A4/Ubuntu - no sound
Frank Drebin

Hi guys,

so I compiled/installed allegro 4.4.2 from source in Ubuntu and everything works fine except the sound even though install_sound(DIGI_AUTODETECT,0,0) returns 0. I searched the forums and it seems that this is a well known bug probably related to the jack audio module used by Ubuntu instead of the alsa module. I tried everything I could find but nothing worked so far.

However, then I installed the prebuild Ubuntu package of allegro 4.4.2 and the sound worked just fine. So it seems that there is some way to compile/install it and get it working. Does anyone have an idea what's the trick here?

(And yes, I still want to build allegro by myself instead of using the package ;))

Niunio

May be you forgot to install dev versions for any of the sound libraries so CMAKE deactivates it (using a null driver?). Check it using aptitude or synapse (I recommend the later).

Frank Drebin

Thanks Niunio, I installed libasound2-dev and then the sound works. However, no I'm running into another (probably well known) problem: The sound works when allegro is build with shared libs but the sound doesn't work when allegro is build statically. Do you have another hint?

Niunio

Do you have another hint?

I don't know but may be when linking statically it tries to link sound too or something. ???

Thread #616925. Printed from Allegro.cc