What are you currently playing?
Eric Johnson

I've been having a blast playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion recently. Bethesda sure does a great job at designing worlds that are fun to explore. Like in Skyrim, there are loads of places to visit, people to meet, and dungeons to clear out in Oblivion. There are lots of books to read, too, which I enjoy. It bugs me more than it probably should when there are spelling mistakes or when "it's" and "its" are transposed in in-game books though, which there seems to be a lot of... >:(

{"name":"BF44CCCB36AF771E9CA0F71FF5794BFA680DFC3D","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/1\/21842a3fe84f0c073a0ab95b579e4d2b.jpg","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/1\/21842a3fe84f0c073a0ab95b579e4d2b"}BF44CCCB36AF771E9CA0F71FF5794BFA680DFC3D

Anyway, what are you playing? :D

bamccaig

I started on Skyrim too, and bought Morrowwind and Oblivion afterward to expand on it when I ran out of content in Skyrim. Alas, I tried to go in order, and Morrowwind does not age well for a new player. :) I stopped after that, in part because I eventually switched to Linux again (though I have had some success running Skyrim on Wine). I should probably give Oblivion a chance next time and see if I get further (though I think I might have started it and wasn't feeling it at the time). I don't really have time to catch up to old games like this though. It's hard enough to keep up with now. I really want to play The Witcher III, but I don't know if even my j0rb laptop would handle it, and it's Windows only so I couldn't even try on my desktop.

I mostly play Counter-Strike. It used to be Source, but now it's Global Offensive. I have about 1300 hours into it so far and still going. :) I have about 3700 hours logged in CS: Source, and they didn't start recording that until I had played for a few years. For reference, I have 634 hours logged in Skyrim and I pretty much sapped all I could out of that.

For new games, I recently bought Layers of Fear. I started on that. It was actually pretty scary. So much so that I was actually worried about playing it. Which has never happened before. Part of that might have been scotch induced. :) I can't currently recall why I was so afraid. Maybe the game relies on your own fears and demons to achieve the effect.

I also just bought Space Engineers. That is Windows only so I can only play on j0rb laptop, but I did start out on the sort of beta mission, which is actually several chapters long. Not a bad game, albeit, I don't think the physics are particularly interesting. It will be interesting where it goes. Not sure if I have the time to come along for the ride though.

I really just enjoy trying to get better at Counter-Strike! It amazes me how some of acquaintances from CS: Source were in their 50s, 60s, and maybe even a few 70s. I don't think I'd still be able to play by then! Most nights I come alive for a few matches and then I get tired and drop off the scoreboard. Usually a single competitive CS:GO match is enough to tire me out.

Johan Halmén

{"name":"610867","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b7b796a5a7c77cff1d8e629bbbd18bdb.jpg","w":2448,"h":3264,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b7b796a5a7c77cff1d8e629bbbd18bdb"}610867

torhu

Mostly Broforce lately, easy fun.

Aaron Bolyard

Human Resource Machine on the Nintendo Switch. It's a bunch of fun. I have Breath of the Wild, too, but I want to finish my Super Secret Project(tm) before I spend too much time on it. If it's like Pokemon Sun, I'll spend 70+ hours in a week on it until I win it, neglecting everything else...

And I want to play RuneScape, an online MMO, again, but I've been busy. I log in every couple days and play for 10-20 minutes before I log off. Started in late-summer/early-fall 2004, and I've had a concurrent membership subscription for the last 6 years. Haha. :'(

torhu said:

Mostly Broforce lately, easy fun.

Broforce is a blast. I played through it with my brother. Of similar games, I have Crawl, on Steam, but don't have a Windows installation right now. Want to get it for the PS4 so I can play with my brother.

LennyLen

I've been playing Yooka-Laylee, which I helped Kickstart. It's a N64-style retro platformer.

These are some shots I took from the first level.

{"name":"610868","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/2\/f294b992948738b55bf5ccfde81f0ee7.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/2\/f294b992948738b55bf5ccfde81f0ee7"}610868
{"name":"610869","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/5\/15045f847297ea0799eccad3715ce6af.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/5\/15045f847297ea0799eccad3715ce6af"}610869
{"name":"610870","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/7\/87b1c61c800272d234af5f516ed06b6f.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/7\/87b1c61c800272d234af5f516ed06b6f"}610870
{"name":"610871","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cebe200a13cda58919e79819ad5ff9f7.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cebe200a13cda58919e79819ad5ff9f7"}610871
{"name":"610872","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f7530bc6939034e5573e15e18609424.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f7530bc6939034e5573e15e18609424"}610872
{"name":"610873","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3d6d0e3f63f5a8d1057bcaaa93d5a864.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3d6d0e3f63f5a8d1057bcaaa93d5a864"}610873
{"name":"610874","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cec36728e208679ab66f6328754d249d.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cec36728e208679ab66f6328754d249d"}610874

Eric Johnson
bamccaig said:

For reference, I have 634 hours logged in Skyrim and I pretty much sapped all I could out of that.

Wow! :o I only have about 75 hours in Skyrim. I got bored after completing the main quest (which was surprisingly underwhelming) and moved on to other games. I haven't even explored most of the western side of Skyrim. Did you complete all of the DLC, too?

You should definitely give Oblivion another go. It holds up surprisingly well considering its age. The exploration and dungeon-clearing is just as fun as it was in Skyrim, though the NPCs are noticeably shallower. Even the graphics look nice. I'm using a mod to increase the texture resolution though. I actually prefer the greens of Oblivion to the browns of Skyrim. Skyrim certainly looks better in general, but I found the plains of Skyrim to be visually dull. So far I find Oblivion's perpetual forest to be more visually appealing than Skyrim's plains and dull browns. But that's just me.

Oblivion is pretty cheap on Steam right now. I have Game of the Year Edition, which includes two of the DLC expansions. I'm only 22 hours in and have just been exploring. I hear the Shivering Isles DLC adds 30+ hours to the game. So long as I don't get bored, I imagine Oblivion lasting me 100 hours. That's just vanilla content at that. Mods can add so much more.

@Johan: Nice! :D Not to brag, but I play a mean electric triangle. 8-) We could form a band!

torhu said:

Mostly Broforce [broforcegame.com] lately, easy fun.

I've heard of that before, but haven't played it. It looks like great over-the-top fun. :D

Aaron said:

And I want to play RuneScape, an online MMO, again, but I've been busy. I log in every couple days and play for 10-20 minutes before I log off. Started in late-summer/early-fall 2004, and I've had a concurrent membership subscription for the last 6 years. Haha. :'(

RuneScape was great fun back in the day! I can feel the nostalgia flow over me now. ;D I also started playing around 2004. So many great memories of slaying monsters, baking pies, and exploring the wilderness. Are you playing RuneScape 3 or oldschool? I made a new account after years of not playing when they made oldchool free to play. So much fun.

LennyLen said:

I've been playing Yooka-Laylee

I've heard mixed opinions about Yooka-Laylee. Is it worth picking up?

Edit
Anyone care to be Steam friends? Send me a friend request if so: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ecjii/

Steve Terry

I recently got an nvidia shield and loaded it with retro emulators :P its also got some decent streaming games but kids mosly play hungry shark ;D

Felix-The-Ghost

Broforce is great. Anyone else here have a PS4? Not just for Broforce—when I play multiplayer games I usually play Watch Dogs (the first one) but I also wish I could find more players for Risk of Rain.

Oh, and Terraria. The console ports are expecting an update soon (so they aren't embarrassingly behind the PC version, like so many ports -_- )

Aaron Bolyard

Are you playing RuneScape 3 or oldschool?

I play RuneScape 3. The only reason I played when OSRS wasn't old school was because of the clan I was in and quests. I've done all the quests and the clan has been disbanded for 5+ years now, so I never got back into OSRS.

(To be fair, some of the recent updates do look interesting. I'd like to give it a try again when I finish my project.)

Edgar Reynaldo

I don't play anything anymore... honestly I think it's been a few years since I even touched a console game. :-/ I have an XBOX 360 but don't play it. Last thing I played on the PC was Dungeons of Darkness, by our fellow allegroite Evert and XOP Black by another member, Christopher Emirzian.

And you probably won't see me game much unless a PC D&D game comes out. Can't get enough of it. ;)

LennyLen

I've heard mixed opinions about Yooka-Laylee. Is it worth picking up?

If you enjoyed games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, then yes. The gameplay formula is pretty much identical to BK, but with modern graphics and much bigger worlds. I read one quite well balanced review that described their duplication of the 90s gameplay as both games biggest strength and weakness, with which I agree, and it's probably the reason for the mixed reviews.

I also can't play games that require physical dexterity and timing for long as they tire me out very quickly, so Yooka-Laylee is good in that it doesn't take long to do individual tasks.

edit:

I do remember reading a few reviews of the game that unfairly criticized the game's ranged weapon system, saying that it was nearly impossible to tell what you were aiming at. I'm guessing they didn't figure out how to enter targeting mode.

Eric Johnson

I play RuneScape 3.

Do you enjoy it? I tried RS3 when it debuted a while back and didn't like it. It's visually superior to OSRS, but I dislike some of the core game-play changes. But that was a while ago, so maybe things have changed.

Also, are people still advertising "buying gf 20k"? :P

I don't play anything anymore... honestly I think it's been a few years since I even touched a console game. :-/

Let's have a moment of silence for Edgar, everyone... :'(

Okay, enough silence. Any reason for the lack of gaming?

LennyLen said:

If you enjoyed games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, then yes.

I've never played Banjo-Kazooie, as I've never owned an N64, but I have played Super Mario 64 DS (the DS port) and enjoyed that. I'll add it to my Steam wishlist for later.

Oh, I hear that Yooka-Laylee has fewer worlds than Banjo-Kazooie. Is that true? And if so, does it hinder the game length at all? Maybe the bigger worlds make up for it?

LennyLen

Oh, I hear that Yooka-Laylee has fewer worlds than Banjo-Kazooie. Is that true? And if so, does it hinder the game length at all? Maybe the bigger worlds make up for it?

I'll let you know when I'm further through it. I've been sick and run down this week, so I'm limiting myself to strategy games so that I don't have to concentrate too hard.

MiquelFire

Mainly playing Breath of the Wild on the Switch. Also the latest Box Boy game for the 3DS.

bamccaig

Human Resource Machine

I got that a month or two back and loved it as well. I think I still have another 10 or so programs to write, plus probably the last half to try to get optimization bonuses (that becomes a really big challenge, at least for me). At the level that I'm at it is actually becoming a challenge to even solve the problem at all. It really is a great game, but I question whether a non-programmer would be able to play it.

Quote:

Yooka-Laylee

That looks fun! :) Thanks for sharing. I probably shouldn't buy it just because I probably won't get to it, but it looks quite nostalgic to me.

Wow! :o I only have about 75 hours in Skyrim. I got bored after completing the main quest (which was surprisingly underwhelming) and moved on to other games. I haven't even explored most of the western side of Skyrim. Did you complete all of the DLC, too?

When I play that type of game I avoid main quests until I complete side quests. Partially an "OCD" type of thing. I hate having side quests collecting and not getting done. I completed the main quests only when I ran out of side quests. Yes, that includes all of the DLC as far as I know unless they released more after I was done, but I doubt it. That also includes a little bit of screwing around and experimenting with mods. *ahem* The "adult" themed mods add a bit of motivation to the game, but also tend to distract you from playing the game. I never bothered with any of the "adult action" mods because they looked so immersion breaking, but I'm sure work has improved on that front since. :D Plenty of time was just spent clearing every dungeon and collecting as much "stuff" as I could find. Mind you, lots of time was also wasted in the beginning just carrying loot back to towns. I eventually broke down and used the developer console to give me much more carrying capacity just to save me the trouble.

Eric Johnson
LennyLen said:

I'll let you know when I'm further through it.

Sounds good.

Mainly playing Breath of the Wild on the Switch.

That's a good one. How's the performance on Switch? I own it on Wii U, where it drops frames more frequently than I'd like.

bamccaig said:

*ahem* The "adult" themed mods add a bit of motivation to the game

Oh, gotcha--the Tamriel Tax mod sure is nice for adult gamers. ;) Anyway, I don't think that'd work out too well in Oblivion, what with the disfigured, melted-looking people and all. :P That's pretty incredible though, the amount of time you've poured into the game. Have you looked into Tamriel Online? Apparently it features several of the major areas in TES games, like Skyrim and more recently, Morrowind (I think).

bamccaig

Never heard of Tamriel Online, but it sounds like a LAN game. You need friends to make that work and I have relatively few friends, fewer that would interested, and fewer that have time (let alone my own free time). Besides, that type of game tends to just be a time waster. You lose hours without actually doing or achieving much. At least with Counter-Strike, the wins and losses are swift. You don't spend hours working towards something.

Sounds a bit like Dota and that sort of stuff. There was a "survival" game I saw a guy playing the other day on twitch. I forget what it's called. But I guess people just spawn into the world with nothing and then their job is to survive. Of course, the only way to survive is to gather supplies: food, water, clothes, gear. And of course, these things are useful to everybody else trying to survive so you better find some weaponry and medical supplies too! I watched this guy play on twitch for probably 20 or 30 minutes. Very little happened in that time. And they all took it so seriously. Not only would you probably need to become a meth addict to even be so active for so long, but you'd need to live on welfare or something to have the time. It just isn't practical for the average adult man in our society.

Eric Johnson

So as it turns out, I was mistaken (crazy, I know!); the correct title was "The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited" not "Tamriel Online". My bad. :-X

There are a bunch of games like that. Maybe it was Rust?

bamccaig

Ah, see, I initially assumed it was going to be an MMO. And I had started a paragraph on how impractical that was for me. A LAN game is more practical simply because it would likely have a shorter lifespan: a few hours or maybe the occasional weekend. Whereas an MMO typically requires just hours and hours of grinding and constant gameplay. It just isn't realistic for a full-time working adult to thrive in a game like that, especially when competing with kids and part-time/unemployed adults.

SiegeLord

I'm playing through the campaign of Age of Empires (+ Rise of Rome expansion + some community patch), it's pretty sweet.

Also still going through Deus Ex, somewhat slowly though.

Also doing some single player Diablo II. I alternate between my late-game sorceress where I am mostly magic finding to find better stuff, and a twinked Bowazon which I am mostly done with nightmare difficulty.

amarillion

I was playing Minecraft, but yesterday I lost a full set of enchanted armor (with Mending!) while raiding an end city. I might sulk for a while now.

Gideon Weems

I've been playing chess. I'm not so good, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the game.

bamccaig

Chess reminds me of Counter-Strike in a way. It's fun to play with equally matched players. If your opponent is significantly less able you feel guilty and feel you need to go easy on them. If your opponent is significantly more able you don't have a chance unless they feel obliged to afford you the same dignity. It's a very skill based game. The best player will wipe the floor with an entire team if he's too many levels ahead. I've been on both sides of this enough times to recognize it. I know when I'm doing really well to appreciate that it isn't that I've suddenly gotten "gud", but that I'm playing against people that are either new or not having a good night. Even after a decade of Counter-Strike I have to catch myself calling hacker when it might just be somebody with a superior rig or getting lucky. Then again, sometimes it still is. :) I've also witnessed superhuman skill enough times to really question what kind of drugs they must be on to do it. I've even had hardcore drugs confirmed on a few occasions... Better players can teach you some tricks which can improve your own game, but it's never fun to see a bad KDR or to have no hope of your team winning.

Felix-The-Ghost

Of course, how could I forget, I do chess tactics every day. I enjoy a good game.

I was playing Minecraft, but yesterday I lost a full set of enchanted armor (with Mending!) while raiding an end city. I might sulk for a while now.

You just reminded me that I ragequit MC a few months ago. I lost an inventory full of TOP tier items including a full set of armor with protection, unbreaking, respiration, water affinity, feather falling, thorns, and mending. I kept dying purely from lag (AT&T connection + poorly optimized netcode) I ended up dying offline. I threw an enderpearl in the safety of my own base and with lag began to take suffocation damage. I logged off before dying but someone logged on later and my stuff despawned (wherever that laggy enderpearl teleported me) The admin was less than helpful.

If anyone has an active server I could get into it again, but we can't spam animals since MC really wants to make sure everyone knows the exact coordinates of every animal at all times (even if they are so densely packed together they can't move -_- )

I was going to kill the Wither the next day since I had six skulls. The rage was real.

My chess.com profile is Felix-The-Ghost by the way, as is my PSN ID.

I didn't mention it but I have MC for PC, PS3, and PS4. The last version I played with the snapshot that introduced glazed terracotta. There's been several since then and it's looking really sexc :D

LennyLen
bamccaig said:

I probably shouldn't buy it just because I probably won't get to it, but it looks quite nostalgic to me.

Very nostalgic. It's like going back 20 years and remembering how amazed we were when the N64 was released. Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie are the only platformers I've ever enjoyed enough to bother getting good at (I did a 100% clear on SM64), and playing YL is like slipping on an old glove. It's also the first non-N64 game that I've played exclusively with a controller instead of using a keyboard and mouse.

SiegeLord said:

I'm playing through the campaign of Age of Empires (+ Rise of Rome expansion + some community patch), it's pretty sweet.

AoE I and II both had good campaigns, as did Age of Mythology. I didn't enjoy III as much for single player but it was good for multiplayer.

If anyone has an active server I could get into it again

If you PM Thomas he can whitelist you on our server. It's always up, but it's not always particularly active.

What's your connection like? I've always had huge animal herds around my bases on servers and never experienced any issues. I did once get distracted and forgot that I was at my skeleton farm and it continued to spawn for the rest of the day. That caused some lag issues for the entire server. Likewise, if I allowed too many skeletons to spawn before I'd throw a potion to kill them all at once, the number of particles created would cause extreme lag for minutes.

OICW
SiegeLord said:

Also still going through Deus Ex, somewhat slowly though.

The original? I played and finished that few months ago for the first time and was totally blown away. Plus, even as I never played it before it had the nice nostalgia feeling thanks to the Unreal Engine.

Last week I finished The Vanishing of Ethan Carter which left me with mixed feelings. I liked the story, the environment, and the graphics. However, after the very promising beginning the puzzles start to be very easy to solve at which point I thought for myself that the creators sort of gave up on them. But very nice one-time thing for 4 hours provided you get it on sale.

And right now I'm hooked up to The Talos Principle, if you like puzzle games with really nice backstory interwoven with philophy and asking provocative questions, then this one is really for you.

Bruce Perry

I got my hands on a copy of Day of the Tentacle in the end (a friend had a spare copy as part of a bundle), but I haven't played it yet. So much else to do!

I play so few games, but when I do find a game I like, I play it to death. The last two were The Witness and Human Resource Machine :)

MiquelFire

>That's a good one. How's the performance on Switch? I own it on Wii U, where it drops frames more frequently than I'd like.

In portable mode, I don't notice frame drops, but then, I think I would only notice it if it went below like 40fps. When I had played docked recently, I did notice some slow downs.

Before the first patch after release, I did noticed that the game would just lock up for a second once in a while. It's possible that a game patch or a system patch fixed that issue though, I haven't seen it do that recently. (Considering someone noticed that putting the Switch in airplane solved some frame drops on the system, so OS patch may have fixed some issues)

DanielH

I'm all over the place. Last night was modded Minecraft - Project Ozone 2

Felix-The-Ghost
LennyLen said:

What's your connection like?

Right now, with no one else online I'm getting 1.0 Mbps down / 0.38 Mbps up but sometimes it's wildly unstable dropping connections everywhere.

I think I've been on the Allegro server before, a few years ago. I'm probably still white-listed but I don't have the IP anymore. Has it been wiped since? I remember even at the time the frustration of having to wander for miles to find new chunks with new content.

Also, I don't know when the last time you played was, but now swords have a sweeping attack you can use for your skeletons. I used to breed massive amounts of chickens with seeds, kill them with a potion of harming, then spawn more with the eggs. I don't think it helped being so close to my house with lots of redstone wiring.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone runs the latest snapshots rather than the stable releases.

LennyLen

I think I've been on the Allegro server before, a few years ago. I'm probably still white-listed but I don't have the IP anymore. Has it been wiped since?

We're playing on a relatively new world now. It doesn't take long to find somewhere new.

The address is: mc2.tomasu.org

Quote:

Also, I don't know when the last time you played was, but now swords have a sweeping attack you can use for your skeletons.

I've played since they changed it, but I haven't farmed mobs since the changes.

Felix-The-Ghost

Nice. I might stop by tomorrow and see if I can get into it again :)

Is it vanilla?

Eric Johnson

@LennyLen: Can anyone join the server, or do you have to be whitelisted?

LennyLen

I think it's set to whitelist only.

Felix-The-Ghost

It seems I wasn't white-listed anymore. It could be because I "changed" my name to fix a typo, or the fact that the Minecraft changed that system to enable name changing.

I messaged Thomas earlier today. No dice :'(

bamccaig

Thomas has no free time anymore. He has a wife. Now he works, and then does her bidding, and then sleeps. Repeat. :'(

LennyLen

I messaged Thomas earlier today. No dice

I'll try to reach him on the forum for the server and let him know (he does keep an eye on it).

Thomas Fjellstrom
bamccaig said:

Thomas has no free time anymore. He has a wife. Now he works, and then does her bidding, and then sleeps. Repeat. :'(

I have some time, but I feel spending time here has stopped being a good use of my time. Soon I'll have a kid too. Couple more months. Woo.

Felix, replied to your PM, minecraft can't find a Felix-The-Ghost user.

Onewing

I switch between Prison Architect, Civilization VI and Endless Legend on my 2-3 free hours on Friday evenings.

Throughout the week, I play short bursts of Clash Royale on my phone, typically around when I eat. I never played Clash of Clans and felt it had this air of being a "money-suck", so I was leery to pick up Clash Royale. But, I'm glad I did. I find it to be a highly competitive, RTS game that requires a lot of practice to really get into the upper ranks and I've only purchased one thing in-game thus far, just because I feel I've got enough enjoyable playtime with it that I don't mind putting a little in.

Paul whoknows

Heroes of the Storm :o

Felix-The-Ghost

:o Through a weird series of events I think someone just gave me a Minecraft server :o

I have a question that is difficult to Google with relevant up-to-date information: Is it possible at all to use bukkit/spigot on snapshot versions of Minecraft, or is it like, if you use a snapshot server it is doomed to be completely vanilla?

Update: For some reason the dude unfriended me on discord and the server is down. It's not like he was even "pranking" me either because we spoke for like an hour on discord and even screen-shared him setting up the servers. I also got to enjoy the server for a few hours ???

Neil Black

I've been playing From the Depths, a warship building game.

bamccaig

Neil Black is back. \o/

Derezo

I play Calculords on the porcelain throne, Utopia in the comfort of my cubicle. ;)

Specter Phoenix

On PS4 I'm playing Darksiders 1 & 2, and FFXV. On PS3 I've been mostly playing Mass Effect 1-3, Farcry 2, and the Lego collection of games. On PC I'm mostly playing Starbound and FFXI.

Bob Keane

I've only been playing solitaire. I'm so burnt out working two jobs and trying to get Allegro to work on my laptop that I don't want to think.

bamccaig

My finaceé works two jobs and sometimes picks up a few hours babysitting too. I don't know how she does it. I couldn't. Props to you if you can, but watch you don't burn yourself right out. She's doing it mostly to pay off student loans. That seems like an oxymoron to me. She went to college so she could work two jobs to try to pay off the debt! Worst part is, the job in her field with her diploma barely beats minimum wage. It's silly. Thanks Feminism! :(

Eric Johnson
Derezo said:

I play Calculords on the porcelain throne

Looks like a fun game. Do you wear a crown and hold a scepter while on your throne? :P

Specter Phoenix said:

On PS3 I've been mostly playing ... Farcry 2 ...

Do you like Far Cry 2? I played it for a few hours on Steam a while back, but didn't care for it. The environments are very pretty though.

bamccaig said:

Worst part is, the job in her field with her diploma barely beats minimum wage.

What field is she in?

bamccaig

What field is she in?

Child care AKA Daycare. The official title is ECE AKA "Early Childhood Educator". The acronym apparently collides with some type of electrical engineer. :D She started going for a teaching degree, but ran out of money/credit due to personal life shenanigans and settled for this. Most of the debt is from the incomplete teaching degree, but that's beside the point. I knew some people 5 or so years ago that graduated with teaching degrees in Ontario and they had to move to the UK to get jobs.

Niunio

Minecraft version 1.6. I realized that I never reached The End so I decided to play it again, and 1.6 is the best version of Minecraft.

I play City Skylines in between too.

Neil Roy

I finally grabbed Skyrim, but got bored of it once I hit the first town. I should give it another go I guess.

I just got done playing World of Warcraft again... for a month... and I remembered why I quit playing it last year. Account closed. Sometimes you to go back to remember why you left.

Other than that, I haven't been playing a lot of anything. I finally quit buying games completely as they don't do much for me anymore. I'm trying to get back into my own game development

bamccaig

I absolutely destroyed at CSGO tonight. I rarely have such a good night. It was only casual so nothing really to brag about, but still I'm normally not this consistent. Feels like a full moon or something. My teams were all amazing. I was top points and top frag most rounds. Pushing 50 and 60 points (before multiplier) for 3 or 4 maps. 30+ frags and only 5 or so deaths. It was epic. The only kick in the nuts was that my weekly bonuses were apparently gone so instead of getting like 1000 EXP each time I was only getting ~250 EXP or so (normal casual multiplier of x4).

{"name":"610886","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/6\/3624499cf2c545025d06b1a0b18b4a3d.jpg","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/6\/3624499cf2c545025d06b1a0b18b4a3d"}610886
{"name":"610887","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/c\/cc098178d304aef29af7d66b61947b4d.jpg","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/c\/cc098178d304aef29af7d66b61947b4d"}610887
{"name":"610885","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/d\/0d9be8ea6edfa05a2e92747c44ff1837.jpg","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/d\/0d9be8ea6edfa05a2e92747c44ff1837"}610885
{"name":"610884","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/5\/95ec6f8bc230dcbab70e4b629a152ef7.jpg","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/5\/95ec6f8bc230dcbab70e4b629a152ef7"}610884

It's clear to see my performance drop off as the night wears on, but still holding my own. The scoreboard also doesn't show the epic kills, but there are "MVP" counts (the stars) which are also pretty much at the top of the board. Not at all a disappointing night. :) My aim was pretty spot on for most of it (trust me, some nights I can't hit the broad side of a barn, and those nights are painful).

Eric Johnson

Sounds like you had fun, bamccaig. :) Any plans on becoming a CS:GO pro? ;)

Neil Roy said:

I finally quit buying games completely as they don't do much for me anymore.

F :'( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfT1XLD51zc

bamccaig

Sounds like you had fun, bamccaig. :) Any plans on becoming a CS:GO pro? ;)

I have no grand illusions that I'm anywhere near good enough or ever could be. Those guys are insane. Though to be fair, I have had my share of "clutch" moments that make me feel like it sometimes. But no, I might have the odd euphoric moment of awareness and destroy 5 or 6 n00bs in a pinch, which looks good to present company and feels great, but doing it consistently under pressure against skilled opponents is much different. When I play competitive I am usually exhausted after a single match or two. The pros practice that shit literally 8 or 12 hours a day. And I'm only ranked Silver 3 so far. The pros are Gold "8" or "9" or something like that. They'd decimate me without even trying.

I've been playing Counter-Strike for about 10 years now. I have seen my share of insane players that are not hacking. They're just that good. Some of it is probably hardware. Some of it seems to be hardcore illicit drugs (I met one guy that would binge play for 2 or 3 days at a time on heroin or meth or something along those lines, but he could out shoot me doing it anyway!). Some of it I think is a mixture of innate talent and regiment. Some of these pros are working out and eating like professional athletes (probably doping like them too).

All in all, the very best of the best can make a very comfortable living while they're hot, but I think the average and bottom pro gamers are lucky to make $30,000 a year. Still, it sounds like a fun way to do it, but not a very sustainable career choice. At best it's a short term thing that might last 10 or 15 years, and there will always be younger guys coming up to replace you as you age. At 31 this August I'm no Spring chicken either. I'm probably already older than most of the pros. I can also imagine that when you're forced to play the game and your performance matters to your bottom line the fun probably gets a little bit sucked out of it. I think the greener pasture is probably just game vloggers that make most of their money from donations and sponsors just for being entertaining on YouTube, but to be successful at that you need to have natural charm and charisma. I've dabbled in that with my motorcycle and it's clear I lack the innate skills required to do it.

I have my fun though. There's a reason I spend so much time playing it. It's a blast, the game never gets old, and you do interact with interesting people.

Eric Johnson
bamccaig said:

I think the greener pasture is probably just game vloggers that make most of their money from donations and sponsors

I don't know what you look like, but with enough makeup and effort, you might pull off the camgirl look and reel donations. ;D

So long as you're having fun, I suppose that's all that matters. Impressive that it's held your attention for all this time, too! How easy would it be for an absolute newbie to jump into the mix? Is the community friendly enough? Say I bought the game, would I be able to have fun, too, or would I be totally obliterated by the long-time players?

Neil Roy

;D, nice video Eric. ;D

I did buy one game fairly recently that looked interesting. "Quern - Undying Thoughts", it's a really nice looking MYST like game. When I ran it, I realized very quickly that my system is way out of date! ;D, it was the first time in a long time I had to lower my graphics settings down from their default. A gorgeous looking game though. If I play anything, that will probably be it.

I also grabbed "Saints Row 2", it was free on GOG.com. It's not too bad, but... like most of those games, it has the annoying driving with a timer routine, and now I am on some sort of "escort the computer dude who is a retard that can't follow me worth shit so I keep failing my mission"... so, i stopped playing it. I usually say screw the missions and just explore and shoot random people. ;) But that gets boring too.

I dunno... getting into some sort of weird rut lately, can't get into coding anything, can't get into playing anything. I'm looking forward to nice weather so I can get outside at least. :-/

But then, I've been using computers since the early '80s so... been doing this for roughly 37 years (since I was 15, and that was 1980).

bamccaig

So long as you're having fun, I suppose that's all that matters. Impressive that it's held your attention for all this time, too! How easy would it be for an absolute newbie to jump into the mix? Is the community friendly enough? Say I bought the game, would I be able to have fun, too, or would I be totally obliterated by the long-time players?

CS:GO is nicely divided up so that the really serious players tend to be separated from the beginners. They have different game modes to start: "Deathmatch", "Arms Race", "Demolition", "Casual" and "Competitive" (I might be forgetting one in there).

The most serious players are almost exclusively in "Competitive" matches. Teams are smaller, tactics matter more, and you have more control over who you play with. There are penalties for leaving the game, and you will definitely be abused if you are bringing your team down (and they aren't friends). It's no place for a beginner unless you're playing with friends.

However, Competitive is also matched based on rank so a beginner should be matched with mostly beginners too. They'll likely be better than you if you're just starting, but won't be too far out of your league either.

The other game modes are a mix of beginners and intermediates. You typically get a good distribution of newbies to decent players. For the most part, it's very friendly, but you do need to learn to lingo and understand the inside jokes.

For example, a common theme that crops up is "clutch or kick". "Clutch" means to basically come back against bad odds and win the match. Usually in a 1 vs. N scenario, but sometimes something like 2 vs. 2N or something. "Clutch or kick" means if you don't clutch you're going to get kicked. It's more common in Competitive when people are goofing around, but it carries back over to other game modes too.

A beginner has basically zero chance of clutching. It's just a form of trolling that mostly kids do. Though some might try to use it to pressure friends into performing better. Kicking is a voting system so there has to be enough people agreeing to kick for it to matter, and lots of people ignore it (after all, they're just as vulnerable). Of course, lots of people are sheep so sometimes this does happen. Sometimes it's fun too. It's just part of the culture that you get used to.

You will definitely be obliterated by the long-time players when you first start, but you can practice offline first to get a feel for it, and start out with the beginner friendly modes to get practice in before you set foot on a stage where your performance even remotely matters. Even still I have really really really bad days where I'm terrible. You get the odd troll harassing you, but you just mute them and go on with your day.

You can always play with friends too so that they can help you learn the netiquette rules and stick up for you. Not to mention, help you to improve faster. So certainly, it's a friendly community that anybody can join. It does have a steep learning curve, but if you consider yourself good at first person shooters then I'm sure you can learn to play CS.

It remains fun because it's skill based. You have to practice and develop strategies to succeed. Unlike computer opponents who are typically static and usually have weaknesses that you can learn to exploit, human players change constantly and are more dynamic. And CS does not have any "easy buttons" to even the odds for everybody. The best player is the best player. The worst player is the worst player. This makes it more difficult to get into it, but also more rewarding once you are.

Eric Johnson
Neil Roy said:

I also grabbed "Saints Row 2", it was free on GOG.com

I also grabbed it, but haven't played it yet.

Neil Roy said:

I dunno... getting into some sort of weird rut lately, can't get into coding anything, can't get into playing anything. ... I've been using computers since the early '80s so... been doing this for roughly 37 years (since I was 15, and that was 1980).

That makes you about 52 then, right? Somehow I thought you were younger. No worries; it's like I tell a buddy of mine who's in his 60s: you're only as old as you smell. ;)

That's a crazy long time to have used computers though. You've been using computers longer than I've been alive (I'm 22). :o

But hey, there's nothing wrong with taking a break from coding for a while to recharge. Take a break, relax, and return to it with a fresh perspective when you're ready in a few months or so. I did that with studying Japanese recently, and it's helped. :)

bamccaig said:

A well-written, lengthy, informative response.

Thanks for the information. :D I'll be sure to add it to my wishlist for later on. It sounds like it could be great fun.

Samuel Henderson

Terraria, Starbound, and as of yesterday (at my wife's insistence) Divinity: Original Sin

GullRaDriel

I'm parenting at my best, and what a game ^^
That aside I sometimes capture the flag on UrbanTerror.

Neil Roy

That makes you about 52 then, right? Somehow I thought you were younger. No worries; it's like I tell a buddy of mine who's in his 60s: you're only as old as you smell. ;)

Yep, 52 exactly; I was around 30 when I started with Allegro and C in the '90s. I think you'll find many of the original developers aren't too far behind me in age either. If they were in their 20s back then, they're in their 40s now. Though many of them seemed to have vanished from here, which is kind of sad. Life I guess.

Actually, if you point your mouse at that little info card at the top of this message, I put a real picture of me in there. ;)

Eric Johnson

Lookin' good in all your 160x160 glory! :D

2229.jpg

Bob Keane
Bambam said:

My finaceé works two jobs and sometimes picks up a few hours babysitting too. I don't know how she does it. I couldn't. Props to you if you can, but watch you don't burn yourself right out.

They are only part time jobs. The thing that kills me is traveling. I don't have a car, so I take the bus. There is no direct route from the day job to the night job, so I have to go to the station and wait for a second bus. Then I walk from the bus stop to the office. All told it takes two hours.

Bruce Perry
bamccaig said:

they had to move to the UK

Score! ;D

[EDIT]
For the avoidance for doubt, that's a sympathetic comment - they (not [only] we) have scored :)

Thread #616875. Printed from Allegro.cc