How computers store negative numbers
Neil Roy

This is a very good video describing how computers handle negative numbers. They actually subtract by adding as well. He does a great job of describing the problem and a very nice solution.

I love all the videos these guys do. I don't remember if I shared this in the past, but it is useful to know.

video

MiquelFire

I think you have shared this guy's videos before.

Edgar Reynaldo

Post a link or it didn't happen. ;)

Steve Terry

Its called 2's compliment addition and back in my day we did it all on paper and had to show the logic diagram using NAND logic for a full 8 bit adder. Now get off my lawn!

Felix-The-Ghost

Neil, are you NiteHackr? :D

bamccaig

I definitely remember going over 1's complement in my technical college math course and I suspect we went over 2's complement too, but perhaps grazed over it quicker. Nevertheless, it's a welcome refresher to go back to basics. I imagine somebody with a computer science doctorate or math degree wouldn't find this very interesting, but it'll probably spark interest in the rest of us. :)

Neil Roy
Quote:

Neil, are you NiteHackr? :D

Could be. ;) It's a very OLD handle I used in the early days of the internet when they could only be 9 characters long. These days I prefer to use my real name if possible.

Edgar Reynaldo

Nice refresher course. ;)

Thread #616491. Printed from Allegro.cc