Compiling from the command line with gcc
caomatto

What library should I pass as argument to gcc in addition to -lallegro in order to compile code in which appears a call to al_show_native_message_box?

Edgar Reynaldo

You should have a lib file with the name dialog in it. Link to that one by using -lNAME where NAME is allegro_dialog.dll or something similar and the entire filename is liballegro_dialog.dll.a, or also libNAME.a. Or else link to the monolith. What distribution of allegro are you using? Or did you compile from source? The names vary slightly.

caomatto

I am on Ubuntu and I compiled from source, downloading the source through git. I typed gcc test.c -o test -lallegro -lallegro_dialog and it worked. Thanks! :)

At page 1 of allegro-5.0.10-manual.pdf, there is a list of the addons:

• allegro_main

• allegro_image

• allegro_primitives

• allegro_color

• allegro_font

• allegro_ttf

• allegro_audio

• allegro_acodec

• allegro_memfile

• allegro_physfs

• allegro_native_dialog

Why can all those libraries be linked in gcc by passing their name prefixed with -l, except for the last one?

For example the arguments -lallegro_image, -lallegro_primitives, -lallegro_memfile work, but the argument -lallegro_native_dialog doesn't and should be replaced by -lallegro_dialog.

bamccaig

It is probably due to a naming convention confusion that occurred when they first added that addon and maybe nobody has bothered to fix it... I'm not sure. :-/ In general, there's no magic here. You can locate the Allegro libraries (shared objects) in your file system, named exactly as they are on your command line, except for having a lib prefix and so suffix per standard, as well as various symlinks with various degrees of version number (usually).

sudo updatedb
locate liballegro | grep /lib

Rather than manually specifying linker flags, you should probably be using pkg-config to manage your linker flags for you.

gcc -o test -Wall $(pkg-config --cflags allegro_5 allegro-dialog_5) \
        test.c $(pkg-config --libs allegro_5 allegro-dialog_5)

It's kind of surprising that you managed to compile and link without specifying custom header and library directories. Either you modified the install prefix or maybe Ubuntu includes /usr/local by default to make things easier (and potentially less secure)...

Thread #615093. Printed from Allegro.cc