So what is everyone up to?
Neil Roy

We done this once before and I liked reading what everyone was working on, so I thought I would start it again. It's always interesting to see what other people are doing.

I'm still working on my Deluxe Pacman 2 game, a total remake of my original game. The original was made using Allegro 4, this one uses Allegro 5, written in C etc...

This is my level editor for the game, I have posted videos of it before, you can draw the levels with your mouse, it is extremely easy to use and only takes a few minutes to make a level from scratch. I am quite proud of it to be honest.
{"name":"607409","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/9\/c9b9a8de4e4acf50dcff96df72639f50.png","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/9\/c9b9a8de4e4acf50dcff96df72639f50"}607409

The main menu of my game, but buttons all respond if the mouse is over them, or clicked on, there is three separate graphics for each of the button states.
{"name":"607408","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/d\/0db77603bd04712bee977da463b68e41.png","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/d\/0db77603bd04712bee977da463b68e41"}607408

And a shot of level 1 of my game at this time...
{"name":"607407","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/e\/0e48a559887d63ce46f5907eeb36bd4d.png","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/e\/0e48a559887d63ce46f5907eeb36bd4d"}607407

Yodhe23

I am working on an overhead turn based squad strategy RPG game set in the near future during/just after the collapse of the global civilization.

Here are some screenshots.

{"name":"screenshot2013april.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b9928e4a149368ebc0020e208e4423d.jpg","w":600,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b9928e4a149368ebc0020e208e4423d"}screenshot2013april.jpg

{"name":"screenshot2013april3.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/449990d59d95d65e94995f4480f3f866.png","w":600,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/449990d59d95d65e94995f4480f3f866"}screenshot2013april3.png

I am about 1-2 months away from releasing a playable beta.

I used Allegro 4.4 to make this as I started before Allegro 5 was released. I hope to port it over to 5 but only when the game is finished. Thankfully I prepared myself for the transition by separating nearly all the allegro dependent code out into its own functions and files from the start.

Neil Roy
Yodhe23 said:

I am working on an overhead turn based squad strategy RPG game set in the near future during/just after the collapse of the global civilization.

That's looking good! Your game would really benefit from the blending that Allegro 5 provides as well. But I like how it looks thus far.

Trent Gamblin
Yodhe23

Thanks, I certainly had to be creative the Allegro 4 blending routines, not to hit the CPU too hard, and work within their limiting scope. I am certainly looking forward to using some pixel shaders for fancy effects when I "upgrade" the code. However I am half tempted to release this game with Allegro 4 as a "freebie"/publicity "Game 1". Then do a second paid-for version of the game "Game II" with Allegro 5, and take advantage of 10+ years of 3d modelling experience, and do it in 3D, but retain an overhead perspective, but allow the player some adjustment of the camera. But it will all depend on if people like it, as I sincerely doubt the financial reward is there to do it.

I am also looking forward to trying out Trent's new game Baryon. You have my sympathies in regards to your last team, which is why I work on my own, after too many times being let down by others who didn't have the "staying power" to see something to a decent completion.

beoran

Trent, I'm also working on an RPG. My engine is less far along but I have plenty of ideas. You can see more info as well as screenshots here: http://www.beoran.net/eruta/ .

I was also abandoned by some team, even before it started. Now I realize this is my dream, and only people who have the same dream will stay. I didn't find anyone with the same vision yet. Oh well, I'll just keep on working on it slowly, and with any luck I'll have something nice after 5 to 10 years. :)

Jeff Bernard

A picture of my current game would just be a blank screen! I'm currently re-doing parts of my engine to no longer load from XML (changing to more of a SQL-esque DB-like format), and I haven't yet re-done any of my Map/Tile systems. So, since you can't load a map, you can't draw anything to the screen. :P

After that it's on to the map editor. Or, I'd been thinking about another map system that might be interesting to implement (auto-skewing rectangle tiles to create an isometric map (my art assets are all rectangle and I don't want to have to edit them/get new ones)), but I haven't looked into how easy it would be to do with A5 yet, nor have I even decided if that's what I want for my game. Other than that, the engine itself is probably mostly done, just game-specific code remaining.

I'm currently planning an Adventure/Strategy game, but I work on this only slowly and sporadically (started around the time A4.9 first came around), so the actual game I make could be very different from what I've got planned.

Trent Gamblin

Good to see people still work on games around here :).

Thomas Fjellstrom

I'm not :(

At least not directly. One of my current projects is a tool to prune mine craft saves of useless chunks. I'm making it way more complicated than absolutely necessary but I don't want it to be just another hack. Has full NBT support, loads/saves modern format regions, there's a nbt viewer demo written with qt. And the map pruner will use lua for all of the detection and processing logic. Lua is a bit of a pain to figure out, but I'll get it.

Other current project is my Google reader clone. I'm making decent progress on that.

jmasterx

@Trent, really nice Game and Engine you got there! :)

Sirocco

video

I haven't been working on this for a while due to a bunch of non-game projects. I'll be back on it shortly. It's a 4-player local co-op shooter. It's not a really big game, so I'm not worried about the work load. Coding is nearly complete... I was working on the boss battles when I put it on hold.

Otherwise, I'm trying to push out another Moai update this weekend. Just some bug fixes and a compatibility update that allows it to load newer BMP files with non 40-byte headers.

_Kronk_

I'm still working on my component-based game engine; this has turned into basically writing my own scripting language in a way, which has been interesting. But I haven't had much time to work on it; I've been working an average of about 50 hours a week for a month now and the chances are that I will continue to work these kinds of hours until I go off to college in the fall. I'm hoping I'll have time in college to finish something, if I don't miraculously finish something before then.

Ingo Maurischat

I'm working on a seven level shooter game which is the last part of a twenty examples project for the book which I am currently writing.

"Objective-C und Allegro 5"

Max Savenkov

I'm waiting for a hired artist to finish work on my remake of "Island of Dr. Destructo", Return of Dr. Destructo.

In the meantime, I'm planning a new game, which can be roughly described by this formula: Quazatron+Pixelships+Rogue. I'm going to begin work on it in a few days and maybe have a level generator demo in a week or two, and then we'll see.

Trezker

I poke at my roleplaying website sometimes.
Latest features is hunting and eating, but I have not published this to public server.
I really need to put more time into this.

https://github.com/trezker/Morzo/issues?state=open

Kris Asick

I'm working on a rather epic twin-stick 2D shooter called "Vectorzone" that will have a huge amount of customization, will debut my best music compositions to date, and a rather unique level-creation system where you actually get a say in how the pseudo-randomizer does its thing, at the risk of causing bad things to happen if you try to misbalance the results in or against your favour. :)

I'd post screenshots but I haven't actually done much work on it in the past few weeks and what I've got on my website so far is horribly out of date. Nevertheless, if you wanna get an idea of the direction I'm going with it, head here: http://www.pixelships.com/vzone

I've also had to make massive design changes more than once, which is partly why it's been taking so long. :-/

Neil Roy

I'm working on a rather epic twin-stick 2D shooter called "Vectorzone"

I love your choice of colours for that game. I remember when you posted it in the Depot part of the forums. Looks promising. Great idea on level creation with penalties.

Trent, nice looking videos.

I love seeing what other people are working on, kind of motivates me to finish what I have. :)

SiegeLord

Binding Allegro5 to Rust. In a couple of weeks I should be done!

Trent Gamblin

I'd be interested in trying the Rust bindings when you're done maybe.

Erin Maus

Still working on my games... This one is coming along nicely after I refactored my C#/OpenGL 3 forward compatible/Allegro5 game library thing:

Running:
kwDQX7j.gif

Walking:
2h4mTEz.gif

Weak:
S7pKvoQ.gif

It used to look like this in-game:

{"name":"ryXUqdB.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3db6875b4a2703b488a3d153462b6744.png","w":720,"h":405,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3db6875b4a2703b488a3d153462b6744"}ryXUqdB.png

But right now it's just a spinning box with a high-res DOOM 1 "UAC" crate...

alehbeer

I stopped working on my game for about a year so that I could spend my programming free time trying to get allegro 5 android support to work right. But before that I was working on a 3D hack'n'slash using OpenGL and a 2D platformer game which was written in Allegro. I also had planned on contributing to the allegro 5.1 wip codebase, but I can't even get the thing running.

ajsuson

I'm currently working on a bullet hell game using Allegro 4.2. The game I'm planning is based-on mostly ESP Rade and ESP Galuda but can be inspired with Dodonpachi Resurrection, Bug Princess Series, & Deathsmiles. Right now, I'm having a hard of making a sprite character but will also think of making an enemy ships and stuff. That same goes on composing music, I have to think about it as well.

Arthur Kalliokoski

hmph... I'm in a bit of a funk. I feel like a caterpillar metamorphosing into, if not a butterfly, at least something else. Maybe it's a type of second childhood. Only time will tell.

André Silva

I'm working on a rhythm game based on Mother 3's combo system. It's been on Sourceforge for quite a bit, now.
I've been meaning to release the latest version forever now! I still need to test it on my sister's computer, just to see if everything is fine and dandy, but I never find the time to do it... One of these yea- err... days, I'll take care of it.

Trent Gamblin

Still making progress on that game I posted about before. More videos are available but I'm not making them as often since now they hard to capture without doing a screen recording (which isn't that hard, but less convenient.) Here's a page with all of them: https://www.nooskewl.com/content/collection-vine-videos-baryon2

tobing

I'm trying to keep moving on my city builder game, but it's hard enough at times to find time to work on it...

Here's a recent screenshot:
{"name":"607482","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/1\/016a6aba87c4a35bc362cbcd7b4440b4.jpg","w":1600,"h":900,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/1\/016a6aba87c4a35bc362cbcd7b4440b4"}607482

Arthur Kalliokoski

I've been fiddling with the SantaHack game I was supposed to make for Fishcake time to time, but I lost the passwords to the Google Pages site I had for a blog. I've been taking a slight break for the past few days redoing a Mandelbrot set thingee in Allegro 5.

video

Trent Gamblin

I love the non-placeholder art you have Tobias, and Aurthur, it seems to perform quite well to start. Much better than anything I used to explore fractals back when I was using computers 10-15 years ago. :)

Arthur Kalliokoski

Much better than anything I used to explore fractals back when I was using computers 10-15 years ago. :)

Talk about a backhanded compliment! :-/

Trent Gamblin

I thought you might take it that way as I was typing... :/

It wasn't meant that way though. It's just that I haven't touched any fractal programs in ages so yours appears very fast in comparison to the ones I've used.

Arthur Kalliokoski

It's just using C, there's a "early out" algorithm for escaping the iteration limit early, and those square boxes are just enclosing areas of constant color. If I used sse it would be about three times faster (for floats, which this isn't using, maybe 1.5 times faster for doubles), and multithreading it would speak for itself, although a video capture would really eat into that (that's why there's a system monitor window, to show how much CPU ffmpeg is eating). If you want the source, just say so. Eventually I'd like to put those GPGPU demos to shame.

Trent Gamblin

Well I've always been interested in fractals, but not interested in learning the math or seeing the code. My head hurts already. :/

tobing

I love the non-placeholder art you have Tobias

That's mostly by guinan, an active player and tester. 8-)

Thomas Fjellstrom
tobing said:

That's mostly by guinan, an active player and tester.

{"name":"Guinan_reacting_on_Q.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/d\/2d2a4ab6ce6949ede8b77bdcabbe31be.jpg","w":1243,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/d\/2d2a4ab6ce6949ede8b77bdcabbe31be"}Guinan_reacting_on_Q.jpg

???

OICW

I've built a new computer. Other than that I seem to fall behind schedule with my diploma thesis.

Update: Oh, and I'm trying to revive an old project of mine - turn base strategy game. By the way, tobing, nice screenshot. Same applies for Yodhe23. Can't wait till Sirocco releases that shooter game I've liked it the first time he posted it here.

Bruce Perry
OICW said:

Oh, and I'm trying to revive an old project of mine - turn base strategy game.

We normally call those 'turntables' :)

At work, I'm in my second year working on the engine for an upcoming game. At home, I'm still practising on a MIDIBoard with EastWest Pianos, and haven't got around to working on any code for a while. I auditioned to play Rach 2 with the other orchestra I normally play violin in, and didn't make it - but they told me I've "got the sound" :) Other than that, I'm not sure where all the time's been going. I think I've been wasting it. ;D

tobing
Thomas Fjellstrom said:

???

guinan is her nickname in some forums, but of course not here, and she's not a developer...

Thomas Fjellstrom

Did you see the image I posted? Startrek reference ftw.

tobing

Yes but I don't know much about Star Trek, so I need some explanation...

Edit: ah I see, google is telling me a lot about guinan. So it seems that she's a fan of Star Trek (which is something I should have guessed anyway).

Thomas Fjellstrom

Guinan is a character on StarTrek played by Whoopi Goldberg. Whoopi Goldberg is a comedian and actress who is a big fan of StarTrek.

LennyLen

Guinan is a character on StarTrek played by Whoopi Goldberg. Whoopi Goldberg is a comedian and actress who is a big fan of StarTrek.

I think Tobing was referring to the person he knows who uses the Guinan moniker, and not the character played by Whoopi Goldberg.

The Master

Hey, I've made some massive advances with the RPG engine I've been working on forever. Got entities, collisions, multi-layered multi-level maps, GUI, scripting engine, engine variables, teleportation between maps, particles... A lot, and managed to do it in only two months. I wonder how much I'd have done if I wasn't also trying to complete three research papers...

Anyway, working on a demo to show off most of the functionality, which is actually enough to make a pretty nice puzzle/adventure game. It needs a battle system, save capability, character stats database (I intend to use Sqlite for that), and enough time to put an actual game together, instead of just an engine.

I've attached some screen caps.

{"name":"607485","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6a1e3140ea73ca5e9118d61d93d5a669.png","w":648,"h":516,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6a1e3140ea73ca5e9118d61d93d5a669"}607485
{"name":"607486","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/7\/a7ff9c6bacd7a3e775b2d3eb475430d0.png","w":648,"h":516,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/7\/a7ff9c6bacd7a3e775b2d3eb475430d0"}607486
{"name":"607487","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/763440a456bf03e090da2216650f965d.png","w":648,"h":516,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/763440a456bf03e090da2216650f965d"}607487
{"name":"607488","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3fe1ee9981689d6a603f257769e2a277.png","w":648,"h":516,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3fe1ee9981689d6a603f257769e2a277"}607488

axilmar

Just updated my ALX library to compile with gcc. See sig for link.

tobing

Guinan is a character on StarTrek played by Whoopi Goldberg.

Much to learn I still have.

LennyLen said:

I think Tobing was referring to the person he knows who uses the Guinan moniker, and not the character played by Whoopi Goldberg.

Exactly. Which is also the reason to write that name in all lowercase letters like guinan or tobing, btw.

Dizzy Egg

This is my project, although for the past few months all I've done is make the odd graphic, so nothing that new here:

video

EDIT:

Also, wow! I mean....wow. You get to a point sometimes when you start to believe the hype that a.cc is all about the mouth with no trousers and then BAM, you realise that a.cc is FULL of talent producing quality start-ups with A5 (and A4 of course x).

Also, Trent is quickly becoming one of my heroes, handsome and clever, probably why we get along we're so alike.

Neil Roy

Dizzy Egg, nice game. I still have that little executable you provided from another thread. I am very impressed at your graphics and use of blending.

Love the song, I recognized sound effects from Berzerk and Impossible Mission in there. Nicely done. :)

Trent: Love the videos! Nicer transitions. Egbert? Ever play World of Warcraft? Egbert is my favourite pet in that game. :)

Trent Gamblin

I have not played WoW. One of my teammates came up with that name.

pkrcel

Two posts in a row propping for Dizzy here ;D

(Mostly for your wallpaper, should i be honest :P )

Neil Roy

I have not played WoW. One of my teammates came up with that name.

I present to you, Egbert...
{"name":"607495","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/7\/1739fc1e44970eb20a592fa651f39c2f.jpg","w":800,"h":576,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/7\/1739fc1e44970eb20a592fa651f39c2f"}607495

He's been in World of Warcraft since at least 2006, maybe earlier. It's one of my favourite pets, he is still in his shell and he will randomly run around all over the place. This is probably where your friend got the idea for the name anyhow. (Zoral is the name of my Mage in the game)

pkrcel said:

(Mostly for your wallpaper, should i be honest :P )

Agreed. I have seen at least two of his wallpapers and I must say, it makes his videos more interesting. :D

Paul whoknows

{"name":"607497","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/a\/baa2335497d9c5a2f2b79300feb9855c.png","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/a\/baa2335497d9c5a2f2b79300feb9855c"}607497

Polybios

{"name":"607502","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/e\/3e3c0fae6578ea39db8608307d28b97d.png","w":764,"h":575,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/e\/3e3c0fae6578ea39db8608307d28b97d"}607502

Yodhe23

Paulwhoknows: Looks like a tower defence game with strong elements of Starship Troopers (e.g. giant bugs attack).

Polybios: Interesting picture, tell me more about your game.

AMCerasoli

Programming boring intranets and websites for boring people... :'( I didn't learn programming for this... But they pay me :) not as much as I wish :( but I'm sitting all day in front of a computer :) and sometimes can read allegro.cc :) but sometimes I don't :(. I don't use glasses :) and my brain is always in motion :) my body is getting fat :(. Not enough to have problem with women, though :).

Polybios

@Yodhe23:
It's going to be the most awesome game ever. :D
If it will ever be finished. :-/
The theme is burglary though. :)

Elias
Polybios said:

The theme is burglary though.

Sounds like Ultima VI to me then :)

Dizzy Egg

I just want to play Trent's game! Is it nearly at Beta???

Trent Gamblin

Nope, still a long way off. The story is finished up to a rough draft, the engine is mostly ready except for game-specifics, but there's going to be a lot of game-specifics and those all require art. I'm working with some people who are doing that. Right now though, they're mostly on vacation so I'm taking one too, and I've been working on this:

video

Dizzy Egg

Err...ok. Three things. 1) The duck game looks fecking brilliant, I genuinely wish I could work on it, but I know I'm about 6-years learning offset from that. 2) how did you get to be so damn handsome. 3) what in the name of everything spiritual is the control method for that last video! ???

Trent Gamblin

Hur. It can be controlled by mouse or gamepad analog stick.

Dizzy Egg

Yeah but...it's so damn fast...what are you actually doing to win???? ::)

Trent Gamblin

You have to collect all the blobs, which make your blob bigger. There are $LEVEL blobs per level and also $LEVEL saws per level.

count

Looks fun! Like the blurry background effect.
And the sounds and music are great too. :D

EDIT: Have to admit I didn't see the saws until you got hit by one the first time :)
They move very fast!

Trent Gamblin

Thanks. :)

This will be my first finished game in a long time. I spent 3 years working on a game and decided to call it quits for various reasons, though I'm using the engine in a new game.

EDIT: Anybody want to test the blobs game? Tell me Win/Mac/Linux. I'll give special thanks on the website to those who test and find any issues! :)

count

I could test on linux and win 7 (both 64 bit if that is of importance).

Thread #612405. Printed from Allegro.cc