google+ remove suggestions
Neil Walker

Hello,
I figured out of the half-dozen people in the world using google+, there'd be somebody here...

I'm setting up my tablet but in messenger+ all I want is a list of friends I've added not a random selection of people google for some reason thinks I might know.

Does anyone know how to remove this suggestion list, as I've tried all the settings and just can't figure it out.

Thanks.

bamccaig

That sounds more like a tablet/Android issue. I use G+ minimally, and indeed it suggests a couple of people I might know on the side (generally people from mailing lists), but nothing overly intrusive. Perhaps the "mobile" software is more intrusive?

MiquelFire

There's an Improve Suggestions setting that I had turned off. Might be the one you need.

Elias

What made me completely stop using G+ is that it would keep defaulting me to a tab with posts be people not even in my circles. Also found no way of removing that.

Neil Walker

Anyone recommend a better messenger system that can use google account that just works?

I'm really starting to dislike google apps. I'm not a big fan of social network sites, but I set up a blog using Blogger and it's so crippled compared to the likes of wordpress, etc as everything is just google oriented, so trying to find 'like this' plugins for facebook, etc is nigh on impossible.

I think I'll give up as well though. I'm using Chrome and have selected 'desktop version' in the browser settings but full settings to change privacy, etc is not available from the tablet and after setting up three identical tablets they are all different in messenger+/google+.

Crazy Photon

Anyone recommend a better messenger system that can use google account that just works?

It depends on your definition of "just works". I've been using Google Talk for a few years now with no problems, but it's really just Jabber with a nice client.

Also been using Skype for video / phone calls too, although today there's been a huge security blunder...

Neil Walker

Imo?

Specter Phoenix

I apparently made a G+ account, but never used it to this day. Don't know why I messed with making it as I don't really talk to anyone outside of one or two forums. I have a facebook account, but only post things to update the nurses that grew attached to my son. I've grown tired of social media as a networking device as there is really only two guys who have ever bothered talking to me from the game industry and the rest on there only answer if you praise their work.

As to your problem, I don't really know as I only use my laptop and desktop. The only smartphone we have is my wife's and the kindle fire is also my wife's. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Derezo

I have G+, but rarely use it. The only feature I use is Instant Upload for photos taken on my Nexus... and the only thing keeping it enabled is a lingering distrust of the built-in flash memory on my phone.

I've been really torn over IM and Social Networks. Facebook is crap, but I tend to use it "because everyone else does". Only a handful of friends still use MSN/ICQ, and I've stopped using it for the most part. I'm starting to like Twitter, but likewise I am one of the few people I know who use it.

Anyone used Diaspora?

Crazy Photon
Derezo said:

Only a handful of friends still use MSN/ICQ, and I've stopped using it for the most part

Good, because MS is retiring MSN in a few months...

Never used Diaspora, only use FB to stay in touch with some friends, G+ with other friends, and barely use twitter (mainly to share news). I use Google Reader a ton though (to catch up with news). Been tinkering with IFFFT for a bit, but without little success so far (it's hard to find a recipe that lets you post to G+ and twitter disabled their own).

Karadoc ~~
Elias said:

What made me completely stop using G+ is that it would keep defaulting me to a tab with posts be people not even in my circles. Also found no way of removing that.

I agree that that (unchangeable) default is bad. In my eyes, it undermines the whole point of 'circles'. G+ is essentially discouraging people from posting to their circles.

I guess Google decided they wanted to be more like Twitter than like Facebook. ... but it would be better if they just allowed user to choose their own default.

Since we're now talking about things which annoy us in G+, here's mine: the page layout looks crap on my widescreen monitor. There's just a narrow band of content that I actually care about, and that's off to the left side of the screen. In the center of the screen is a bunch of suggestions and other junk about how to set up my profile and who to follow. I don't really want to see that stuff at all, and yet there it is, right in the more prominent part of the page. Then to the right of that is a large amount of empty space – absolutely blank. Then to the right of that is the chat bar, which again I don't care about.

I hate that layout. It looks awful, and it makes me not want to use the site.

Actually, Google's search page (google.com) has a similar problem. The results are in a narrow bar off to one side, and the bulk of the space is reserved for stuff I don't want to see at all. -- One of the things I like about duckduckgo.com is that it lets me customise that kind of stuff, so that the search results actually look good.

LennyLen

I agree that that (unchangeable) default is bad. In my eyes, it undermines the whole point of 'circles'. G+ is essentially discouraging people from posting to their circles.

If you only want content from people you've added yourself, go to the "Explore" page and drag the slider near the top to the left-most position. That turns off all "What's hot" content.

You can similarly use the slider for each of your circles to set what content gets posted.

Karadoc ~~

That's not what I meant. I'm not certain what Elias is referring to, but I was referring the default audience when I myself 'share' something. The default is that it is shared with everyone. - In my view, it would be better if that default could be chosen by the user.

[edit]
Actually maybe I'll just retract my criticism of this completely. I hardly use G+, and this is not the reason why I hardly use it. So this isn't really a big deal for me, and other people may have stronger views. Also, I just noticed that it only defaults to 'everyone' when viewing posts from everyone. If I click to view only posts from, say allegro.cc people, then it will default to sharing only with allegro.cc people. That's probably a sensible way for it to be.

Matthew Leverton

G+ should have been 100% public posts only. Facebook has the private network cornered. Instead of categorizing people into circles, you should have been able top categorize posts into circles. Then people could subscribe to your circles.

LennyLen

That's not what I meant. I'm not certain what Elias is referring to, but I was referring the default audience when I myself 'share' something. The default is that it is shared with everyone. - In my view, it would be better if that default could be chosen by the user.

I see. Well again though, it can. If you hover over the blue "Your circles" button at the bottom of the posting form, it will popup a "customize" option. Use that to select who gets your posts. It effects all posts made after you change it by the way, not just the current one.

Specter Phoenix

I joined G+ and tried adding people to my FB, but after getting replies of "Give me you link and I'll add you. <link gave> I was drunk when I asked for that <or some other lame excuse>" made it to where I don't see the point in having them. About as smart as paying $50 for a storage unit you plan to leave empty.

Neil Walker

After much searching, I have found Google have not provided the ability to remove Suggestions from messenger+, it is just there.

None of the suggestions above work.

LennyLen

I can't figure out how you get these suggestions. The only two people I have listed using Messenger+ are people I've manually added.

Nb: I'm not sure if I made it clear or not, but the settings I mentioned in my previous posts are only accessible from the Google+ website, not from either the Google+ or Messenger+ apps.

Neil Walker

yes, doesn't do anything, they just keep appearing on messenger+. I searched teh google discussion groups and that was the answer.

Thread #611436. Printed from Allegro.cc