Programmer jokes
Bruce Perry

Courtesy of a colleague:

A mother said to her programmer son, "While you're out, buy some bread."

Her son never came home.

Who else knows some fun programmer jokes?

Gideon Weems

:D I laughed.

A little boy from a poor family dies and goes to heaven--without having ever accomplished his dream of playing a video game. He approaches God about his wish, and God replies:

"There are no video games in heaven, but if a holy and pious programmer dies, I'll see what I can do."

A week passes, and sure enough, a holy and pious programmer dies and comes to heaven. He is more than happy to fulfill the little boy's dream and immediately begins work. After a few days, however, the programmer approaches God about the game's artwork. God replies:

"There are no bitmaps in heaven, but if a holy and pious pixel artist dies, I'll see what I can do."

A month goes by, and sure enough, a holy and pious pixel artist dies. He immediately joins the team. Months later, the programmer and pixel artist approach God about the game's music. God replies:

"There are no MOD files in heaven, but if a holy and pious tracker dies, I'll see what I can do."

This time, a whole year passes--but sure enough, a holy and pious tracker finally dies and joins the team. The three work together day and night and end up with the perfect game--something truly worthy of being made in heaven. They are so thrilled with their work, in fact, that they would like to give everyone in heaven the chance to play their masterpiece. God hears out their request and replies:

"Look... It took a week to get a programmer, a month to get an artist, and a whole year to get a tracker. Do you have any idea how long it'll take to get a PUBLISHER up here??"

gnolam

A byte walks into a bar. The bartender looks at it for a while and asks: "What's wrong?"
"Parity error."
"Ah, I thought you looked a bit off."

MiquelFire

I don't get the bread joke... ???

Specter Phoenix
Quote:

I don't get the bread joke... ???

It's okay, it is the subtle jokes that slip by the easiest :).

Google is our friend (sometimes):
http://www.devtopics.com/best-programming-jokes/
http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/inspiration/programming-jokes-comics-videos/
GOOGLE IMAGE
http://www.workjoke.com/programmers-jokes.html

*Not checked them all, just googled and copy/pasted.

Bruce Perry

Does this help?

bool isOut=true;
int bread=0;
while (isOut) {
  bread++;
}

Specter Phoenix

Turning the joke into code is supposed to help the understanding ??? ? The joke does kind of make no sense as they say programmers never leave their computer/basement so the whole idea of the programmer going out and never coming home sounds even odder to me.

AMCerasoli

Specter... The kid interpreted the message as if he was a computer...

while you're out, buy some bread.

There is no break statement like:

while you're out, buy one bread and then come back.

That's is what make us different from computers but a the same time sometimes worst than computers. Our brain has an auto-fill system built-in. But the kid was so used to be programming all day and night that became a compiler...

Bruce Perry

The funniest bit in the thread is not the jokes, but the fact that Specter trolled Miquelfire for not understanding the joke, when Specter didn't understand it either. ;D

Trent Gamblin

A wife asks her husband, a computer programmer; “Could you please go to the store for me and buy one carton of milk, and if they have eggs, get 6!”

A short time later the husband comes back with 6 cartons of milk.

The wife asks him, “Why the hell did you buy 6 cartons of milk?”

He replied, “They had eggs.”

van_houtte

Moral of BP's joke: Too much programming made the programmer stupid at life

Same goes for Trent's and probably many other ones

Bruce Perry

Surely he should have bought seven cartons of milk? Unless of course he's ever written an ambiguous 'else' clause, in which case he would have bought the eggs. :D

Arthur Kalliokoski

What happened in the original joke when the guy ran out of money? And where would he put it all?

I suppose I'll get flamed for the oldest of all.

Q: Why was the programmer late for work?
A: When he took his morning shower, he read the instructions on the shampoo, "Lather, rinse, repeat".

Specter Phoenix

The funniest bit in the thread is not the jokes, but the fact that Specter trolled Miquelfire for not understanding the joke, when Specter didn't understand it either. ;D

Depends on how you define understanding it. As I pointed out the joke made little sense to me due to what my interpretation of what a programmer was stereotypically thought of which changed the joke to make if odd to me rather than funny. Even after having it explained for the joke it was meant to be it still has no humor to it for me. The others were funny while that just falls a bit short with me.

[REVISION]

A mother said to her programmer son, "While you're out, buy some bread."Her son never came home.

No part of that joke signals you to think of the son as a compiler, instead it makes you think of the programmer stereotype and then it blows the joke completely apart as the stereotype is that we never leave our houses due to always coding.

SiegeLord

Gosh darn it, Specter Phoenix, stop making terrible excuses about why you didn't get an obvious joke.

Depends on how you define understanding it.

The usual way. The way you didn't.

Quote:

No part of that joke signals you

It's not the joke, it's you. Frankly, this is a reason why you shouldn't be a programmer, you don't even get programmer jokes!

Specter Phoenix
SiegeLord said:

Frankly, this is a reason why you shouldn't be a programmer, you don't even get programmer jokes!

You're assuming I get regular jokes? Forgot about the course in CS degrees where if you fail to get programmer jokes you can't be a programmer.

23yrold3yrold

<--- feels proud he understood the bread joke

Dizzy Egg

I only chuckled at the bread joke because I got it; I don't think any other interpretation would have been funny..?

OICW

The publisher one reminded me of this:

A programmer dies and is sent to hell. A week later Satan meets God and ask him, if they could take the programmer to the heaven. God asks why. Satan replies: "on the first day he slew all the demons with a chainsaw and since then he's been looking for an exit to the next level."

jmasterx

Yo mama's so fat, the recursive function used to calculate her weight caused a stack overflow >:(

Dizzy Egg

Most Java programmers live in Atlantis, because it's below C level.

Neil Roy

A mother said to her programmer son, "While you're out, buy some bread."Her son never came home.

;D... it took me a few seconds to figure that one out.

If you still don't get it, think of it as programming code:

while(you_re_out) {
   buy_some_bread();
}

Get it now? ;)

Edit: Oops, I replied to it before I read the other replies, apparently showing code doesn't help. Maybe if I show an example using BASIC? :P

Sirocco

{"name":"AT04-04-01.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/7\/d7da6323258a3d603b4efc5580751111.gif","w":450,"h":615,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/7\/d7da6323258a3d603b4efc5580751111"}AT04-04-01.gif

Trent Gamblin

Matthew Leverton.

hahaha I'm banned aren't I?

Neil Roy

LMAO, love all the jokes. That Board Chow one had me laughing out loud, done that a few time, now I know what to call it (didn't eat it, but definitely shook a meal out I think! ;D) ;D

Specter Phoenix

Yep, it is official, when it comes to programming jokes, I have absolutely no sense of humor. Even after getting the bread joke (granted it had to be explained to me), and reading all of the other ones (only one that made me smirk was the carton of milk and eggs joke), but still thought they were all utterly retarded. I'll stick to George Carlin, Jeff Dunham, etc. for my laughs.

Neil Roy

Yep, it is official, when it comes to programming jokes, I have absolutely no sense of humor. Even after getting the bread joke (granted it had to be explained to me), and reading all of the other ones (only one that made me smirk was the carton of milk and eggs joke), but still thought they were all utterly retarded. I'll stick to George Carlin, Jeff Dunham, etc. for my laughs.

It's okay, everyone's sense of humour is different. :)

Karadoc ~~
NiteHackr said:

It's okay, everyone's sense of humour is different. :)

Mine isn't! >:(

bamccaig

Too much programming made the programmer stupid at life

That's not something that is learned or conditioned. It's something that you're born with. :) It's the same thing that makes people naturally good at things like programming and naturally bad at things like people. You can learn to fake your way through things, but you'll always be naturally good at things and struggle with others.

OICW said:

..."on the first day he slew all the demons with a chainsaw and since then he's been looking for an exit to the next level."

:D

Arthur Kalliokoski
Dizzy Egg said:

Most Java programmers live in Atlantis, because it's below C level.

You should have said assembler programmers. Java is much higher level than C.

james_lohr

You should have said assembler programmers. Java is much higher level than C.

Yeah, I think he inverted it in the retelling. Perhaps it should be:

"Why are there no Java programmers in the Netherlands?"
"Because it's below.."

Gideon Weems
jmasterx said:

Yo mama's so fat, the recursive function used to calculate her weight caused a stack overflow >:(

Yo mama's such a hoe, they made her undress function a part of Standard C >:(

Neil Walker

Not really a joke but these always amuse me:

{"name":"sandwich.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/4543677b234b65e3cd85405a433a7605.png","w":360,"h":299,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/4543677b234b65e3cd85405a433a7605"}sandwich.png

{"name":"1732.strip.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a4e01cc14cae4555a0de86a2a9ebac8.gif","w":640,"h":199,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a4e01cc14cae4555a0de86a2a9ebac8"}1732.strip.gif

{"name":"tree_swing_development_requirements.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/7\/17dcd48de3f82775b92cf0a5cf97fd6c.jpg","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/7\/17dcd48de3f82775b92cf0a5cf97fd6c"}tree_swing_development_requirements.jpg

Bruce Perry

Thanks everyone :)[1]

References

1. By submitting a joke to this thread, you agree we may store cookies on your allegro.cc accounts for the sole purpose of providing you with a better experience.
Tobias Dammers

I like the swing one.

Luiji99

The problem with that programmer kid, is that eventually he'll hit an Out of Money exception. This will cause him to abort (i.e. disappear from reality).

Trent Gamblin

GDB on Android is kind of a joke.

Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
The program no longer exists.
(gdb) bt
No stack.

Only it's not funny. >:(

Neil Walker

Similar to the bread* joke:

A mother told her programmer son, "Theres one piece of cake and one bun left, have the cake or the bun" - there was nothing left for the mother.

*quite funny the bread joke in that when you tell people who aren't techie they just don't get it and you tell people who are techie you can tell those that don't get it but pretend they do otherwise they'd not be as hard-core as you ;)

Luiji99

I'd gotten the bread joke but the cake/bun one is not to clear to me.

Arthur Kalliokoski

1 OR 2 = 3.
Cake OR bun = cake + bun.

If she'd said cake xor bun, she'd have enjoyed dessert.

Luiji99

I sort of recognize that evaluation. Is there any practical use for that equivalency?

Arthur Kalliokoski

If people spoke logically, English would be quite a bit different.

"Aren't you coming along?"
"No"
"Fine! Sit here for all I care!"
"I said I was coming!"

Neil Walker

I guess though with short-cut logic (logical not bitwise), e.g. cake || bun, he would have stopped if cake was true :)

Arthur Kalliokoski

I guess though with short-cut logic (logical not bitwise), e.g. cake || bun, he would have stopped if cake was true :)

"Do you want the cake or the bun?"
"YES!"

Luiji99

Walker's logic is why I couldn't get the joke. I like the Arthur's variation!

Johan Halmén

"Don't give me no bullshit!"
"How much bullshit do you want?"

Bob Keane

Adapted from "That 70's Show": A programmer marries. His wife makes him promise not to cheat on her or lie. She comes home one day and finds him in bed with another woman. Infuriated, she reminds him of the promise. He responds " You asked me not to cheat or lie. I did not lie.".

Luiji99

I think that joke's better if you take it out from programming and he says "You said not to cheat or lie. I decided to lie."

Tobias Dammers

If people spoke logically, English would be quite a bit different.

"How many Lojban speakers does it take to change a broken light bulb?" - "Twenty-one. One to change the bulb, and twenty to research what kind of bulb emits broken light."

Neil Roy

"How many Lojban speakers does it take to change a broken light bulb?" - "Twenty-one. One to change the bulb, and twenty to research what kind of bulb emits broken light."

Nice one. ;D

GullRaDriel

Tried to translate it from French:

"There are 10 type of guys in the world who understand binary. Those who, and those who don't".

Arthur Kalliokoski

Arggghh! There are 10 types of people who understand trinary, those who do, those who don't, and those who've never heard of it.

OICW

"There are 10 type of guys in the world who understand binary. Those who, and those who don't".

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who regularly have sex. ;)

EDIT: Corrected phrasing.

J-Gamer

Leave the "who understand ...". You are giving away the punchline.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who thought this was a binary joke.

Gideon Weems

What do you call it when a bunch of programmers rub balloons on their heads and string them together?

OICW
J-Gamer said:

Leave the "who understand ...". You are giving away the punchline.

Yep, quite right, I've just copied Gulls quote and edited it.

J-Gamer

@Gideon: static string?

Johan Halmén

There are 10 type of guys in the world who understand binary.
0: Those who do
1: Those who don't

bamccaig

You mean:

1: Those who don't.
10: Those who do.

Derezo

There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary,
those who don't,
and those who weren't expecting a base 3 joke.

Johan Halmén

There are two types of a.cc members. Those who have never completed a game project.

james_lohr

Derezo: good one. :)

GullRaDriel

Johan have my point ^^

Gideon Weems

I think Derezo means "11 types of people."

J-Gamer: :D I would have also accepted "static linking." NEXT: Why'd the programmer's arm never heal?

Arthur Kalliokoski

Derezos joke was what I was trying to remember above, and it's correct.

Those who understand binary, (01)
those who don't, (02)
and those who weren't expecting a base 3 joke. (10)

I can't think of why a programmers arm wouldn't heal without Googling.

Gideon Weems

Ahaha, screw me. I get it now. Somebody finally tells it the right way, and I miss it. :P

Arthur Kalliokoski

I got tired of waiting about the programmers arm healing, and I couldn't find the answer on Google. :P

Another moldy oldie I was reminded of in Coding Horror:

Why do programmers think OCT 31 and DEC 25 are the same day? The question on the face of it is a bit US centric.

OICW

Because OCT31 = DEC25, so Christmas and Hallowen seem like the same day ;)

EDIT: added the spoiler tags.

Arthur Kalliokoski

You need to specify OCTAL and DECIMAL for these young'uns.

OICW

They ought to know it 8-)

Arthur Kalliokoski

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the people here don't know what the long forms mean. OCT is pretty obsolete.

OICW

On the other hand I remember few months ago when working on a school software projects, several mates were quite consfused by me using hex constants :)

Tobias Dammers

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the people here don't know what the long forms mean. OCT is pretty obsolete.

You better know what octal is if you want to do any PHP or C or C++, because it'll bite you otherwise. Quick, what does this print:

$i = '00000010';
printf("%d\n", $i);

That, and UNIX file permissions.

Arthur Kalliokoski

The leading 0 without the 'x' is oct, yes, but they'd learn not to do that then, and hardly anybody uses UNIX file permissions.

Tobias Dammers

The leading 0 without the 'x' is oct, yes, but they'd learn not to do that then, and hardly anybody uses UNIX file permissions.

What if it's user input? What if you're parsing a user-supplied date, and you can't for some reason use a built-in function for that? Example:

// Parses a date in the format DD-MM-YYYY
function parseDate($dateString) {
   list($day, $month, $year) = explode('-', $dateString);
   $day = (int)$day;
   $month = (int)$month;
   $year = (int)$year;
   // expand two-digit years
   if ($year < 50)
       $year += 2000;
   if ($year < 100)
       $year += 1900;
   return new DateTime("$month/$day/$year");
}

Where's the bug?

Arthur Kalliokoski

I would have checked for leading zeros even in assembler. :P

Tobias Dammers

Yeah, well, you would. I've seen enough of other people's code to know that many wouldn't, and then they wouldn't know what hit them when '01-05-08' comes out as '5/1/2000', or worse, '09-05-12' becomes '4/30/2012' or something.

Gideon Weems

I got tired of waiting about the programmers arm healing, and I couldn't find the answer on Google. :P

All the doctor would give him was an implicit cast. :D

Arthur Kalliokoski

All the doctor would give him was an implicit cast.

MxRBO.gif

Oooooohhhhhh! I'd never have guessed that in a million years.

Samuel Henderson

Arthur Kalliokoski wins this thread.

I'm still laughing at his perfectly placed gif.

Also good joke Mr. Weems :)

Luiji99

I've never used the functions OCT and DEC but I still know what they do. Then again, I seem to be ahead of my age. I've met JavaScripters that still don't know what regexes are. :-X

It should have really been something like 0o732 instead of 0732 to prevent so many n00b mistakes. I use octal often because of \033.

Bruce Perry

Lately, D has deprecated 0732 in favour of octal!732. While they're at it, they deprecated 1234l in favour of 1234L. :)

Tobias Dammers

Ooooh nice... you know, there's this guide to writing unmaintainable code out there somewhere, and it suggests, among other things, being creative with l vs. I vs. 1, and 0 vs. O. So you'd have variables named Il1l and l1Ill alongside each other, ideally in a way that would make confusing the two lead to incredibly obscure bugs.

Matthew Leverton

Yeah, well, you would. I've seen enough of other people's code to know that many wouldn't, and then they wouldn't know what hit them when '01-05-08' comes out as '5/1/2000', or worse, '09-05-12' becomes '4/30/2012' or something.

Are you making that up? (int) '08' => 8 in PHP.

And that function is pointless, when you can just do: DateTime::createFromFormat('d-m-y|', '01-05-08'). Of course, that doesn't stop PHP programmers from writing such a function. :P

Schyfis

I think this one is pretty easy, I made it up last week when my friend and I were trying to think of awful jokes.

"AND, OR, and XOR went to a party, but AND and OR were turned away. Why?"

Neil Roy

It was an exclusive party?

Schyfis
NiteHackr said:

It was an exclusive party?

Right on the money. Told you it was easy! (and awful!)

Striker

An american programmer has heard, to be a real man he must drink a bottle of whiskey with one pull, rape a squaw and kill a grizzly.

So he drunk the whiskey in one pull and then went to the grizzly's cave and entered. After half an hour he came out and asked "And where ist the squaw i should kill?"...

:o

Luiji99

A little help with that one, bitte?

Arthur Kalliokoski

He raped the grizzly, who supposedly objected.

Striker

Thanks Arthur. You seem to be familiar with the subject. ;D

bamccaig

I just got déjà vu. I think we had another bad programmer jokes thread a few years back. :-/ In any case, I fail to see how the "real man" one applies specifically to programmers. Over all, I'd say these jokes are pretty lame, but I can't do any better... :-/

Luiji99

Mr. Kalliokoski, I got that part. I just don't see the logic error that resulted in his actions.

Arthur Kalliokoski

He simply misunderstood.

Hagar the Horrible: "Hey you guys! Plunder, then burn!"

LennyLen

The bit about it being a programmer makes it seem like that should somehow be relevant, and since it's not, the joke loses what little humour was their anyway.

Johan Halmén

{"name":"302945_2576662691309_31312519_n.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f860707ff5d9854d1c55cb0d0bbd3ca5.jpg","w":402,"h":509,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f860707ff5d9854d1c55cb0d0bbd3ca5"}302945_2576662691309_31312519_n.jpg

Luiji99

Yes, but I find it more annoying to not understand the joke at all.

Karadoc ~~

I reckon Werner was wrong about that. 'Impossible' is a strong word.

It's true that jokes tend to be far more amusing when they are understood without explanation - But "impossible ... to experience the amusement of a joke" overshoots the mark.

Dennis

Things are only impossible until they're not!

video

Thread #611052. Printed from Allegro.cc