Found out I'm a little Sexist.
superstar4410

This kinda relates to the hurricane but on a different level thus a new thread topic.

So, I realized that I wasn't taking this Hurricane too seriously because its named "Irene" a feminine name.

I think subconsciously, I'm thinking that's a girl hurricane, girls aren't scary, they can't do damage.

Then when I started realizing how bad this might be, I'm like I think I would have taken this more seriously if it was hurricane Andrew or Daniel.

Yea seems kinda silly, but i know that's what my mind was doing, somehow downplaying the storm because its has a girly name.

blargmob

but i know that's what my mind was doing

That's what it wants you to think.

Er, that's what you wants you to think.

Errrr...

van_houtte

pics or it didnt happen

Neil Walker

Irene \/

images

Daniel \/
{"name":"sports-geek.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/4\/f4b167bb07e08b2a5ae84c1a3471a672.jpg","w":281,"h":374,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/4\/f4b167bb07e08b2a5ae84c1a3471a672"}sports-geek.jpg

superstar4410

eeewww

Johan Halmén

eeewww eeewww

So long all wet dreams in the future.

Slartibartfast

You're not the only one X:

<MftS> Who the fuck is the one naming hurricanes?
<MftS> They somehow manage to give them the least threatening names ever.
<MftS> If I turned on the news and heard that Hurricane Erin was coming I'd think to myself, "Erin? I could take that slut."
<MftS> If I turned on the news and heard that Hurricane Dicksmasher was approaching, I'd grab all the money in the house, shove it in my pockets, and get the fuck out of there.

Oscar Giner

<MftS> Who the fuck is the one naming hurricanes?

Says someone who's name is "MftS" :-X

Derezo

I just got done watching Colombiana. At this point in time I do not share your cognitive bias.

verthex

And its 911's fault!

Bruce Perry

Presumably the logic behind the naming is that some women are actually quite a force to be reckoned with if you ever end up in an argument with them.

We probably have a distorted view here because our brains are all a cut above average, so we naturally seek out nice women and then forget about the bad ones.

I wish I had more time to write more and get myself in even more trouble, but I have to rush off ;D

james_lohr

My bet is that it's down to male meteorologist referring to women in their lives with "stormy" characteristics. :P

van_houtte

Personally, I find working in environments filled with other men preferable to working with female co-workers, as female co-workers tend to be more moody and rain unpredictable shit storms.

OTH guys that dont get laid and work in male dominated work environments can be just as finicky.

james_lohr

My experience of women in the workplace is that they're lovely to me, and bitchy to all their female colleagues. If you're moody towards you, chances are you're a bit of a woman yourself. ;)

van_houtte

When it comes to work, i'm asexual, i'm there to make money and do quality work (and I'm already attached&engaged to a beautiful woman), i've noticed that often, a woman will have a crush on me, she will notice that her advances do not work and her frustration may turn into jealousy and resentment. Essentially, the few that get moody, do so because I wont give them any. This is one of the perils of being attractive, and I'm used to it.

Not that it affects me, I tend to be indifferent and go on about my day.

Bob Keane

Women in the work place can be just as catty as men, or is it the other way around? I try to concentrate on my job, but there are some real cuties there. There were a couple of girls that had a bit of a crush on me but I never acted on it. I think I regret one.

james_lohr

Essentially, the few that get moody, do so because I wont give them any. This is one of the perils of being attractive, and I'm used to it.

That's womanish thinking; I bet that's exactly what they're thinking about you. :P

Trent Gamblin

What would you have thought had they named the hurricane Big Bertha?

someone972

What I found funny is that superstar4410 used the smiley face icon for the thread, so I guess he's happy about being sexist ??? :-X.

superstar4410

Big Bertha?

I would have picture big, slow, and laying flat everything in her path,
kinda like these previous Berthas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bertha

The smiley for the thread post is more with my personality, kinda like come join me as we discuss this topic.

someone972

I figured, it does suit your personality :).

On the subject of hurricane naming; just once I want them to go out on a whim and name a hurricane something completely ridiculous.

Timorg

In Australia, cyclone gender alternates, so only 50% are women, every other one is male. I had assumed that everyone did it that way.

Are all the cyclones in America named after women?

Trent Gamblin

I think it would be a big step forward for fearful naming if we just called them cyclones :o.

Derezo

{"name":"oGdNl.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b707f548ea24a83e3d764948bf03109f.jpg","w":548,"h":420,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b707f548ea24a83e3d764948bf03109f"}oGdNl.jpg

North~

^ this

If I turned on the news and there was a Hurricane Zoidberg coming, I would laugh and cry while packing my stuff.

verthex

{"name":"604767","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/5\/551ba96aeebb85407e26e8867eb9e60b.jpg","w":620,"h":499,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/5\/551ba96aeebb85407e26e8867eb9e60b"}604767

Bob Keane

They do alternate the names of hurricanes in North America based on gender. Some years back, we had a hurricane Bob. As to a hurricane Zoidberg, you will not be safe anywhere, considering how inept he is as a doctor. As to sexism, I watched part of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" last night. In one scene, Dr. Frankenfurter turned everyone to stone. You could see Brad's organ clearly but they blurred Janet's body parts.

FMC

An Italian commedian put it this way:

Quote:

Vorrei ricordare ai giovani che bisogna imparare dagli americani.. gli americani danno agli uragani i nomi, CI SARA' UN CAZZO DI MOTIVO!
E' questo il motivo: perchè un uragano, come una donna, quando arriva è caldo e avvolgente e quando se ne va t'ha portato via la casa e la macchina.

(my translation:)

Quote:

I would like to remind the young that we must learn from the Americans .. Americans give female names to hurricanes, THERE MUST BE A ONE FUCKING REASON!
And this is why: because a hurricane, like a woman, when it arrives is warm and enveloping, and when it leaves it has taken away from you the house and the car.

verthex

Katia might be the next hurricane.

GameCreator

Doubt it. She sounds foreign.

Bob Keane

Considering how easy it is for people to enter the U.S. (read: Obama's uncle and aunt), I don't think she will have a problem getting in, even with a foreign name. Is spell check flagging "Obama" because ML refuses to acknowledge his presidency?

Neil Walker

We thought we had a category F0 tornado in England 30 years ago, but it turns out it was just my dad closing the car door.

Who would win in a fight, a tornado or a hurricane?

Bruce Perry

Hurricane blows the tornado away with 11800000 results vs 12000000 results.

That or Googlefight is ever so slightly broken ;D;D

[EDIT]
It worked when I refreshed. On the first attempt, the hurricane bar was huge and the tornado bar was at about a tenth, despite the figures clearly showing something quite different.

Arthur Kalliokoski

A tornado is at most 2 miles wide, whereas a hurricane is hundreds of miles wide, and lasts for days instead of a half hour. Also, hurricanes spawn tornadoes, so tornadoes are hurricanes bitches.

Thread #608186. Printed from Allegro.cc