Problem with Mac OS X and ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW
Todd Cope

Just noticed that using the ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW flag just causes a regular window to be created under Mac OS X. al_toggle_display_flag(ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW) returns false, suggesting that it is not supported.

If it is not supported it might be a good idea to mention it in the manual. When I create a display with the ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW flag I can't tell if the created display is actually fullscreen or just a regular window.

Perhaps al_create_display() should fail if that flag is set and it is not supported. That way I can at least fall back to using a regular fullscreen mode.

Trent Gamblin

What version of OSX? It works here.

Todd Cope

Trent Gamblin

Hm.. maybe allegro.log would be helpful. I tried it again just now with latest svn and it's still working here.

Evert

What version of OSX? It works here.

I think there's a compile-time check for the Mac OS X deployment target (whatever the name of that define is) for whether it's possible to use or not (it's not available on OS X < 10.6.0, I think). If it's compiled for use with an earlier version, then it will fail to create a fullscreen window.
A proper solution is to do the version check at runtime.

@TC: check the compatibility version number that you set when you compiled Allegro.
Yes, it probably should fail gracefully instead of quietly - however, I'm not sure what happens on other platforms in this case. Would need to double check there.

Todd Cope

My target is 10.5.

Trent Gamblin

For it to work it will have to be a run time check in Allegro, and a fallback for < OSX 10.6.

Evert

For it to work it will have to be a run time check in Allegro, and a fallback for < OSX 10.6.

May not be so easy.
I think you can make a frameless window that is the size of the desktop and stack it on top of the dock and the menu. I don't remember what the issues with that are though, it's been a while since I looked at it. There are code examples out there that show how though.

Trent Gamblin

That would be good, but I was not even thinking of that. I was thinking of using a regular fullscreen display when fs window isn't available. Is there any practical difference though, assuming someone rigged Allegro to pop in and out of fullscreen mode with the toggle? I know on OSX even fullscreen window behaves worse than fullscreen on other platforms, with Command-Tab and virtually ever way to get out of fullscreen mode not working. I played with that a while back, as there are some options there that supposedly allow command tab etc, but enabling them didn't seem to work (probably my mistake.)

Thread #607641. Printed from Allegro.cc