Smileys as punctuation?
Dario ff

For all of you grammar/punctuation nazis. I'm going to settle this for once and for all. I've always seen a lot of people use a smiley like it was a full stop, and other people put a full stop, and then a smiley.

Which one is correct?

Have a nice day :)
Have a nice day. :)

Neil Black

What about a smiley and then a full stop?

Have a nice day :) .

Arthur Kalliokoski

I like the no-full-stop version, as if the smiley was the full stop.

verthex

I think Matthew needs to implement garbage collection for all these useless threads.

Dario ff

It's not useless to me ;)
(And here it happens again).

Modulator

I guess you could add an exclamation mark too; like...

Have a nice day :)!

X-G
Dario ff said:

I've always seen a lot of people use a smiley like it was a full stop

Those people are stupid.

bamccaig

^ This. Smileys are meant to add an emotional hint towards the tone of the preceding sentence(s). They aren't punctuation themselves. :P

Dario ff

Thanks, now my mind is settled. I find it weird to use a smiley like a full stop, maybe just because it resemebles a big dot. :P

jhuuskon

More annoying than people who use smileys as full stops are people who are unable to understand a written joke as such wihtout a smiley.

This post is not humorous in content.

Arthur Kalliokoski
jhuuskon said:

More annoying than people who use smileys as full stops are people who are unable to understand a written joke as such wihtout a smiley.

Like people who do rude things and then try to defuse the response with "Just kidding"?

BAF

Why not just replace letters with smilies?

8-):(:o:-*;D:'(8-)8-):-/:P:o:-X???

[edit]
errr, is there a limit to how many smilies you can put in one post?

Modulator

I miss the smiley face that you could see in an old telecommunication program like Procomm. Artwork produce by people in ANSI graphics was fun to look at too on an old BBS.

23yrold3yrold

Before or after the punctuation; it's situational. Never in place of it.

BAF said:

errr, is there a limit to how many smilies you can put in one post?

I do hope so. :)

William Labbett

verthex said:

I think Matthew needs to implement garbage collection for all these useless threads.

I've often wondered how big his hardrives are. Must feel quite a responsibility to have what must be one of the worlds biggest resources for game development knowledge.

OnlineCop

Smileys adlibs!

Using smilies, your words said:

Once, in a _____ far away, there lived a small _____.
For weeks, nothing of interest ever _____, although locals would sometimes entertain themselves with _____.
But that was all about to _____.
Without warning, there was a _____ _____! The inhabitants all started to ____ for ____.
It was the ____ of Allegro 5.0.

Bob Keane

I've often wondered how big his hardrives are.

It's not the size of your harddrives, it's the gigabits of throughput. I always thought it was smileys then sentence ending punctuation. The smileys were only used for emphasis, not punctuation. ???

Arthur Kalliokoski

De gustibus non est disputandum

Modulator

“There is no disputing about tastes" - Arthur Kalliokoski.

I guess not, but some foods are tasty!

;D

bamccaig

@Modulator: <quote name="who|what" src="uri">contents</quote>

Modulator
Quote:

bamccaig:

Gosh, guess I could use that. :)

BAF

Ignore bamccaig, and just put quote tags around the post. 99% of the time, a.cc will find the right post to link to. He just likes to be approximately 8 times as verbose as he has to be. :P

OnlineCop

8 is a good 2-to-the-nth...

Chris Katko

I'm going to start taxing smileys, and internet acronyms such as "WTF", "L O L", and "RTFM".

p.s. why does {'L', 'O', 'L'} automagically turn into a smiley face? You are creative, sir Matthew.

Arthur Kalliokoski

I'm stupid! It does not.

Neil Black

p.s. why does {'L', 'O', 'L'} automagically turn into a smiley face? You are creative, sir Matthew.

It doesn't turn into, "I'm dumb!" anymore?

bamccaig

The other way was funnier though. >:) Also, why has the evil grin smiley that somebody created a couple of years ago not been adopted? It's just so perfectly awesome.

23yrold3yrold
bamccaig said:

Also, why has the evil grin smiley that somebody created a couple of years ago not been adopted? It's just so perfectly awesome.

Thank you, thank you. ;D

MiquelFire

;D

Err, is it random?

CGamesPlay

I've come to like >:-E~~~ as a good smiley for many rage-ful situations.

weapon_S

;D Lol ;D rofl
kewl
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( <--13
D:
BTW a true grammar Nazi doesn't use smiley's.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Err, is it random?

I belive l o l (;D) and R O F L (;D) are different.

Chris Katko

2:)GC

Conan O'brien wanking.

bamccaig

Conan O'brien wanking.

Undefined reference to 'wanking'.

Wanking? ::) Some American you are. :P

Dario ff

We really need the evil grin smiley. It's too convenient for some situations.

Sorry, just gotta try this random smiley stuff, ;D(lol), ;D(rofl). Come on, these should be replaced by I'm dumb! (I fell for that one in my first posts).

Also, I've seen in another forum "plz" replaced by "Plz bitch, slap me!".

Quote:

BTW a true grammar Nazi doesn't use smiley's.

::)... ???

Thread #603520. Printed from Allegro.cc