Under the Knife (again)
LennyLen

So after a long wait, I've been told to come into the hospital tomorrow for my spinal surgery. I'm expected to be in for about five days, so if you don't hear from me for a while, it means that they screwed up and either killed me or turned me into a quadriplegic.

For the curious, this is the procedure they will be performing.

Crazy Photon

Ouch! good luck man, best wishes from my end.

gnolam

Please insert disc 2.

... but yeah, good luck. :)

axilmar

Best wishes, I hope everything goes well.

Dario ff

{"name":"600517","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/eb5de68c688aba9b23185e44ad36140e.jpg","w":400,"h":80,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/eb5de68c688aba9b23185e44ad36140e"}600517

Arthur Kalliokoski

Good luck, hope it turns out well.

bamccaig

Good luck. :)

Kibiz0r

gl hf dd

Slartibartfast

:(

Neil Walker

I bet that operation doesn't come cheap. Good luck anyway.

Chris Katko

Holy crap dude, let me know what happens! I've got the same problem (herniated disc) but I haven't done any surgery. I'm trying to avoid it to the best of my abilities...

LennyLen

Thanks everyone. I'm off now for the hospital...

I bet that operation doesn't come cheap.

Nope, it's about $30,000. That's why I had to wait so long, I couldn't afford it myself, so had to go through the public health system.

Holy crap dude, let me know what happens! I've got the same problem (herniated disc) but I haven't done any surgery. I'm trying to avoid it to the best of my abilities...

I'd have preferred to not have another surgery, but the prolapse was causing the nerves that go down my left arm to be pinched constantly, which is not very pleasant.

Jakub Wasilewski

Well, it seems I'm an hour late, but still...

Good luck!

Thomas Fjellstrom

Good luck. Rooten for ya.

OICW

Hope to see you soon. Good luck.

Bob Keane

I was looking for a joke on this subject to take the edge off, but this was all I could find.

See attached, for some stupid reason Opera won't let me upload the file. You are in good company though.

PHILADELPHIA - Japanese right-hander Hiroki Kuroda, the only Dodgers pitcher to defeat the Philadelphia Phillies in last year's National League Championship Series, returns from a 20-day layoff tonight in Game 3 of the 2009 NLCS at Citizens Bank Park.

Kuroda missed his last regular-season start and was left off the roster in the NL Division Series because of neck soreness caused by a herniated disc in his cervical spine.

Chris Katko
LennyLen said:

so had to go through the public health system.

Damn, I wish I had that option... :-/

bamccaig

It's not all it's cracked up to be. >_> I haven't seen a doctor in 5+ years. We have a shortage. Turns out they like to get paid for years of studying complex material and paying with limbs. ::) The competent ones tend to go to the USA or elsewhere.

/no-derail

BAF

I don't.

Now that I've been studying economics for a little bit, I began applying basic economic principles to heathcare. Public option drives costs down, which drives the supply down. Lower costs also drive the demand up, which will leave a shortage in its wake. Well that, and lower quality care in the wake of the shortages.

Anyhow, getting out of thread-jack mode, best of luck to you with your surgery and recovery!

[edit]
o-shi.... beaten...

LennyLen

I was allowed to come home for the night as the surgery isn't until tomorrow. They just wanted me to come in to talk to the anesthetist and give blood samples today. But since there was no real reason to stay after that, I came home to get real food for one more night.

Arthur Kalliokoski

The reason they don't want you to eat is because the anesthesia is like passing out drunk, and they don't want you vomiting and choking. Eat light.

LennyLen

The reason they don't want you to eat is because the anesthesia is like passing out drunk, and they don't want you vomiting and choking. Eat light.

I meant real food as opposed to the meal I would have got in the hospital which is only food by virtue of just being edible. I'm allowed to eat up until midnight tonight, so they would have given me dinner anyway.

They gave me dinner last night while I was waiting for the MRI, and now I'm not keen to do it again if I can avoid it.

Neil Black
LennyLen said:

I meant real food as opposed to the meal I would have got in the hospital which is only food by virtue of just being edible.

The hospital here has a Subway in it. Whenever I'm there for some reason during a mealtime, I relish in the irony of choosing the least healthy option on the menu.

Samuel Henderson

Good luck.

LennyLen

Well, I've been released from the hospital already, as I've been making a great recovery. I had a bit of pain in my throat for the rest of day after surgery, as they had to relocate my voice-box during the surgery to get the old disc out and the artificial one in, but by Friday that was gone, and I've felt fine ever since.

The surgery was a success. By the time I had awoken from surgery, I'd already regained strength in my arm, making it stronger than it had been in months, and I can now feel the ends of all my fingers. There's no loss of mobility in my neck at all (though there's a small chance that the joint may still fully fuse, which will restrict movement), and I don't need to wear any neck-braces or pads. I have to take things easy for a couple of weeks while the implant fixes itself in place properly, but after that, it'll be stronger then a natural joint.

So yay for modern medicine!

CursedTyrant

Yay for not having to pay $30,000 just to be able to function normally! ;D

Glad it turned out OK.

Kikaru

Glad it turned out okay!

decepto

I'm glad to hear you're better!

Yay for modern medicine indeed.

bamccaig

Glad to hear good news. :)

gnolam

Congrats! :)

Slartibartfast

:)

Arthur Kalliokoski

You'll be doing cartwheels before the year is out. :D

Dario ff

Congrats LennyLen! I'll do another banner in a while ;)

Crazy Photon

Yay :D I doubt that sort of surgery would be done in our country, be thankful that it went well and that you had the chance to get it ;)

Thread #603179. Printed from Allegro.cc