[SH09] Xtreme Programming - The Literal Game
Rodrigo Monteiro

{"name":"sh09_final1.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/d\/9d606c37508044505ed0541322518348.png","w":656,"h":516,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/d\/9d606c37508044505ed0541322518348"}sh09_final1.png {"name":"sh09_final2.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/83317841beafd30c746edeffb2864f37.png","w":656,"h":516,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/83317841beafd30c746edeffb2864f37"}sh09_final2.png {"name":"sh09_final3.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/6\/d6c7075b75d45f437fe4dd8e923df444.png","w":656,"h":516,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/6\/d6c7075b75d45f437fe4dd8e923df444"}sh09_final3.png {"name":"sh09_final4.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/0\/b0545a4278892a2ea1413813ae952b36.png","w":656,"h":516,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/0\/b0545a4278892a2ea1413813ae952b36"}sh09_final4.png

Our entry for SpeedHack 2009... I hope you enjoy.

Win32 binaries + source (Very minor patch to fix Bonus Mode)
Win32 binaries + source (SpeedHack version)
VC++ 2008 SP1 runtimes, if needed

EDIT: posted patched version

MiquelFire

Looks fun.

Fishcake

A really cool game, if you ask me. :D

Kibiz0r

Do you have to play it two player?
Is it test-driven?
Does it have weekly deliverables?

andpanda

Awesome game! =D

i got 30k points in the main game! =D

it really rocks.

kazzmir

Great game. I got to level 3 and then quit.

kenmasters1976

Nice game. I lost at level 3. My highest record is ~2200 as of now.

Really nice presentation and gameplay for a 3-day competition.

[EDIT:] Oh, and I liked the "Big in Japan" BG music.

Rodrigo Monteiro

For the record, my high-score is 38424.

ImLeftFooted

Great game, bonus was totally worth it (it comes after level 8).

Couldn't beat the bonus (is it even beatable?).

A+, all around. How many people were on your team?

Matthew Leverton

I quit playing the main game after the bonus was unlocked. The bonus level seemed more interesting, but it could have been because I played it second.

Given the context and rules of SH, it's well done.

Jakub Wasilewski

Well, nice presentation and I was really interested in the game idea when I saw it on the blog. It's fun for a while, but I think that the gameplay needs some more fleshing out - if you're a fast typer, the game becomes a bit tedious way before it becomes difficult. And when it becomes difficult, it's usually for the wrong reasons: on both my playthroughs I was being hacked (couldn't type for the boss) by two consecutive enemies I couldn't see because they were off-screen.

Got 32k on the second playthrough. Couldn't force myself to go through all those levels again to try a third one ;). I think there is certainly some potential here if you add more variation to the gameplay and include difficulty levels for people with different skills at typing.

EDIT: well, evidently, I should read the readme's first. You can switch to code with enemies off-screen.

codnik

There are also instructions in game about switching to hacking. They can be accessed from the menu.

Rodrigo Monteiro

I'm glad to know that people have enjoyed the game. I realize that it gets a bit repetitive, and we didn't have any time to balance the difficulty, but it's the price of developing a relatively complicated game for SpeedHack.

Great game, bonus was totally worth it (it comes after level 8).

Couldn't beat the bonus (is it even beatable?).

A+, all around. How many people were on your team?

Actually, the bonus unlocks after 10000 points. It's definitely beatable, but it's quite challenging. I couldn't do it, but my team mate (who made the bonus level) could ;).

We had 3 main people in the team: me as the coder of the main game and title screen/misc stuff, my coworker Murillo as the coder of the bonus level, and my other coworker Vérion as the artist. We also had codnik helping us on the last day with sound and music, so I guess you could say she's our forth team member. :)

Trezker

I like this game. Well done!

Næssén

I've played the game twice and it's a nice game, I really like the graphics! I also managed to unlock the bonus mode, however after I type my name for the highscore list the game crashes, so I have never tried the bonus mode.

The text you type tend to get a bit boring after a while. A cool improvement would be if you type the actual source code of the game!

Rodrigo Monteiro
Næssén said:

The text you type tend to get a bit boring after a while. A cool improvement would be if you type the actual source code of the game!

That was one of the ideas, actually... originally, it was a bunch of CS-related words (assembly commands and whatnot). I had VC++ generate the game's assembly output, and I was planning on using some of that as data files - the problem is that the game became EXTREMELY ANNOYING to play if you had to type with both hands... so we changed it to randomly generated left-handed words (had to assume Qwerty).

Ideally, we'd have left-handed CS-related words, but we didn't have time for that. :)

Also, that sucks about the Highscores table, it worked on all machines I've tried... :(
To manually unlock the bonus mode, just create a file called "unlock" (contents are irrelevant, it can be empty) on the same folder as the binary.

Inphernic

Neat idea with nice graphics and execution. 10311 points on the first try.

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva

I did not tried so much to manually unlock the bonus mode (got 8000 points more or less in my best play). So I manually unlocked it.

I think the unlocked game is very easy, but saw Matthew asking if it is beatable and you saying that you could not beat it, but a teammate could. So i will ask if I did not made anything wrong (may be manually unlocking it is wrong). I just keeping the up arrow pressed, dodging some rocks and typed calmely the codes. Easily I was on the top. I could not see how to die here except if you are stupid enough to keep knocking you head on the rocks again and again and again.

Edit: Tried it again. This time there was falling rocks. In the first tries there was not a single one falling rock.

Rodrigo Monteiro

Victor: If you downloaded the original binary/source, please get the patched version. There was a small bug (an "if" that shouldn't be there) that prevented falling rocks from appearing in the bonus mode, which made it impossible to lose.

If you already have the falling rocks and you still think that it's too easy, maybe you're just that much better than us. ;)

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva

I got one that there is falling rocks sometimes. Looks like there is a randomized 50% of probability to have falling rocks or not.

And, I see no point in typing anything to boss:
{"name":"599056","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/99d63528990756d53d01a879ba609e83.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/99d63528990756d53d01a879ba609e83"}599056

Anyway, I will download it again.

Albin Engström

Very cool entry, one of my favorites.

I didn't have much fun though :-/.

james_lohr

Cool game. I got around 11k on my second attempt.

weapon_S

Very nice game. But this game proves my typing skills are sub-par :( I have to look at the keyboard like every three seconds, which is too much to get past level 2. (Or is it really supposed to be played in pairs? ;) )

GullRaDriel

I liked it. Not more than 11k on any attempt, I am too tired.

bamccaig

Very clever game concept. :D It's pretty hard too... Too much multitasking. :P I've tried twice and only made it a few levels in with something like 6000 points.

Rodrigo Monteiro

My friend's high-score... o_o

{"name":"Anubis169-sh09-score.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b1cc9ce3cdca6de28b44e00fcd19290.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b1cc9ce3cdca6de28b44e00fcd19290"}Anubis169-sh09-score.png

Apparently he made it past level 60.

Thread #600897. Printed from Allegro.cc