Disturbing dream
Rash

I had a dream a few days ago where an Allegro.cc poster (name withheld) had died and it was announced on the forum.

Just a FYI in case something happens.

Thomas Harte

Well it definitely wasn't me. I don't think anybody I know in real-life knows that I post here. Or, probably, that I program at all.

OICW

I suppose nobody with that name exists on these forums. He would have to register first.

Rash

Oh no, it was someone who does post here; I'm just not going to say who it is, lest I freak that person out.

jhuuskon

Funny. Today i'm so infuriated that I started to wonder if a person can die from being angry enough. (for those in the know, yes, a loose translation of "voiko vitutukseen kuolla?")

X-G

Pop a blood vessel.

Slartibartfast

Maybe it has something to do with your username meaning "death" in dwarven language? (IIRC)

Archon
Quote:

Oh no, it was someone who does post here; I'm just not going to say who it is, lest I freak that person out.

Now we really want to know.

microcat
Quote:

I had a dream a few days ago where an Allegro.cc poster (name withheld) had died and it was announced on the forum.

Just a FYI in case something happens.

I find that very disturbing. The fact that you dream with interweb forums, I mean.

;)

OICW

Sorry, my bad I didn't bother to translate "withheld" and automatically thought of it as a name.

Arvidsson

Not so long ago I dreamt I failed an exam I had recently taken, being one point away from passing it. Luckily it was not a dream of truth. I failed the test three points short.

Sirocco

Sometimes I wish I had utterly banal dreams. Mine are usually nonsensical confusion-fests involving strange concepts such as transsexual aliens who are planning on covering the moon in Easy Cheese and consuming it for brunch.

Jonatan Hedborg

TELL ME IF I'M GOING TO DIE! :o:-X???

Vanneto

Hope it wasn't me. :P If it is me and something does happen, I'll be sure to let you know. ;)

nonnus29

It was me, I died. So long A.cc it was nice know'in ya's.....

:'(

Thomas Harte

I read one of those trash-news pieces about a guy who reckons his dead wife is still sending him text messages. Anybody think they'd still continue to post here if they died?

Slartibartfast
Quote:

I read one of those trash-news pieces about a guy who reckons his dead wife is still sending him text messages.

Are those messages anything like "Party at UberClub 23:00 4.4.2008 18+ girls drink free 20$ entrance fee includes first drink"?

Thomas Harte
Quote:

Are those messages anything like "Party at UberClub 23:00 4.4.2008 18+ girls drink free 20$ entrance fee includes first drink"?

Yeah, that's how he knows it is definitely not someone else pretending to be her — only she knows that those words were the first draft of his wedding vows.

mEmO
Quote:

Anybody think they'd still continue to post here if they died?

That's funny, I had a dream some years ago where I haunted the a.cc forums.

Oh, and who is going to die? You must tell us now!

gnolam
Quote:

Anybody think they'd still continue to post here if they died?

For some members that would actually improve the quality of their posts.

X-G

i lerned why i am the way i am, its becas i'm actulay a zombi.

will you let me hav your brain? i want to study it, i promis e I am not going to eat

i am making a zombie rts (w/ dagronball also).

Jonatan Hedborg

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, lulz ;)

Andrei Ellman

It wasn't me by any chance? I have the habit of dieing in other people's dreams. For some reason when other people tell me I've made an appearance in their dream, it's usually either because I've died, been arrested, or gotten into a fight.

As for a.cc members who have died, AFAIK, only spudster has hung up his coding gloves for good (here is the thread).

AE.

Todd Cope
Quote:

Now that the announcement is taken care of...

nonnus29

L0L that's a macabre sense of humor Todd Cope...

Neil Black

So Rash, who do you subconsciously want to kill?

Thomas Fjellstrom

I hope it wasn't me :o

I got sick this morning. Felt like a stomache virus, or food poisoning, but I'm pretty sure it was due to taking too much acetaminophen last night :-X

Richard Phipps
Quote:

i lerned why i am the way i am, its becas i'm actulay a zombi.

will you let me hav your brain? i want to study it, i promis e I am not going to eat

i am making a zombie rts (w/ dagronball also).

I SOO want to sig you..

Hey, if this person really does die.. then you'll be even more worried with your new found psychic powers! ;)

CGamesPlay

Thanks for the warning Rash. I double checked everything, found the problem, and fixed it. I should be okay now.

Richard Phipps

I'm still waiting for a hot dream about my auntie Gertrude. >:(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Quote:

I'm still waiting for a hot dream about my auntie Gertrude.

She needs to post more pics so your (and my) subconscious has something to work with.

Richard Phipps

subconscious..

I don't want to know what your sub-conc-ious is..

BAF

What has Chris Katko done this time? :o

Matthew Leverton

It's Ben. I had the same dream. :-/

James Stanley

You can't start a thread like this and not tell us who it was! ;D
I'm sure that person would want to know anyway, so they can try and do something about it.

Rampage

What this thread looks like:

{"name":"zombiepox02.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b6619fa98b369cc230e1f849b979bfe.gif","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b6619fa98b369cc230e1f849b979bfe"}zombiepox02.gif

William Labbett

It might be me. I've smoked 20+ fags a day for 19 years - approximately 150,000 fags not including numerous butt-rollies when times were hard.
But the only people who know I post here have no memory so have probably forgotten. I reckon it must be someone who posts who knows someone who posts

Jakub Wasilewski
Quote:

I'm sure that person would want to know anyway, so they can try and do something about it.

Or, in my case, would want to know anyway, so they can be amused :P.

Onewing

Are you Kira?

Speaking of "Death Note", I was reading an article about how people attempt to find the author's of malicious computer worms/viruses, thinking they were oddly similar. They go as deep as to how the code is written, its particular style.

Kibiz0r

Nobody knows I post here. So if I don't tell anyone, it won't be me.

Also, I used to have deja vu dreams all the time when I was younger. I'm still undecided as to whether I could actually tell the future with my dreams or if I just convinced myself I could after the fact.

Steve++
Quote:

I'm still waiting for a hot dream about my auntie Gertrude. >:(

Aren't we all.

Neil Black
Quote:

It's no wonder she barely posts anymore...

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

It's no wonder she barely posts anymore...

She always seemed to have fun with the comments. That's why most people do it. Her excuse for not being around is being a teacher or something.

Neil Black
Quote:

She always seemed to have fun with the comments. That's why most people do it. Her excuse for not being around is being a teacher or something.

Well now you've ruined my joke and made me look stupid. I'll have you know I'm quite capable of ruining my jokes and looking stupid without any help!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

Well now you've ruined my joke and made me look stupid. I'll have you know I'm quite capable of ruining my jokes and looking stupid without any help!

You're quite wellcome :)

Neil Black

>:(

Ron Novy

Whoa... Crazy.. I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but I just posted a thread on almost being killed today!

Edit: Crazy... Was it me???

OICW
Quote:

On one hand if he doen't know, he'll probably die. On the other hand if he knows, he will do anything just not to die but still die anyways.

Quote:

Also, I used to have deja vu dreams all the time when I was younger. I'm still undecided as to whether I could actually tell the future with my dreams or if I just convinced myself I could after the fact.

I read a hypothesis, that deja-vu can be caused by information hang up in brain. Normally both hemispheres are synchonised. But when one of them processess some information you just saw and heard and for some reason loses synchronisation then the brain thinks it's completely new information and you remember seeing some time before.

On a side note I sometimes get deja-vu feeling. I just don't remember dreaming about it.

Neil Black
Quote:

On one hand if he doen't know, he'll probably die. On the other hand if he knows, he will do anything just not to die but still die anyways.

But if he does know then later someone can make a crappy movie about it.

Milan Mimica

I know it's not me. I can't die. A5 is not out yet.

Richard Phipps

Bring out your dead!

Andrei Ellman

I notice that Rash has not used any third-person pronouns when describing this person. Maybe this person is one of the female posters, and because they are such a small minority here on a.cc, refering to that person as 'she' would have drastically narrowed down the list of suspects.

AE.

X-G

Given the lack of responses I bet he dreamt about himself.

piccolo

I would want to know if it was me.
I take these type of things very serous because i have dreams that come true. i know first hand the power of the subconscious.

Steve++

::)

LennyLen

I know it's not me, I've got many years to go. As Mr Joel says, only the good die young.

Richard Phipps

I'm still not dead!

Kikaru

This thread looks really weird. Kinda like a fortune teller or something. And piccolo, did you not notice the guy(X-G) impersonating you?

Jeff Bernard
Quote:

I'm still not dead!

Shit, every moment you're not dead, I could die!

X-G
Quote:

I'm still not dead!

'ere, he says he's not dead!

Richard Phipps

It's the parrot that's dead. Not me!

Kibiz0r

Well, fuck, one of us has to die and it's not going to be me.

I vote bamccaig.

Vanneto

I will be a pussy and just vote with rand() % NUM_OF_MEMBERS;

GameCreator

We need some vague details. Name is more than X characters long but less than Y. Name has the following letters in it. Etc.

piccolo

or even how they died
this will be more use full to me

Andrei Ellman

Is it Sacrifice an allegro.cc member day again so soon?

Maybe it's Rash himself. He hasn't posted since his last post in the thread.

AE.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Quote:

He hasn't posted since his last post in the thread.

Must... resist... sigging!

Rash
Andrei Ellman said:

I notice that Rash has not used any third-person pronouns when describing this person. Maybe this person is one of the female posters, and because they are such a small minority here on a.cc, refering to that person as 'she' would have drastically narrowed down the list of suspects.

AE.

Hmmm, if I'm Kira, then that must make you, appropriately enough, L, Andrei Ellman.

X-G

Quote:

He hasn't posted since his last post in the thread.

Really? You don't say? :P

Andrei Ellman

I often do that myself.

Slartibartfast

I think the point was he hasn't posted at all, anywhere, since his last post in this thread.

HardTranceFan

Hey Rash, I'm still here, though I had a close call with a bus yesterday - the bastard cut me off and tried to sandwich me against a parked car.

The thing is, if I die, it won't be announced here, 'cos no one else on A.cc has met me in the flesh or is in contact with me. So does that chop the list down to members who have met face to face?

alethiophile

I think I or Gr4|\|f are in the most danger--we know each other.

Andrei Ellman

Re death announcement: I use my real-name for the a.cc forum, so if I die, somebody who knows me IRL is likely to Google my name and see that I post here, so they'll register an account and make an announcement.

AE.

OICW

I was thinking of leaving a notice for my friends/family to post here in case of terminal accident...

Matthew Leverton

My note include instructions on how to wipe hard drives clean on Linux servers. 8-)

HardTranceFan

There was an announcement of an allegroid death just over a year ago...

Could the dream have been about this?

Erikster

Hmmm, I got cussed out by this crazy, over-protective, ignorant 30 something year old lady on Mt. Hood. If I didn't walk away, it could've come to blows between me and her ugly husband. (He was a few pounds smaller than me, and a few inches shorter, the only way for him to beat me up would be if he had a weapon.)

No, I'm not kidding. This was my second time being cussed out by a stupid old stranger. I'm a magnet for problems. I'm not trying to make them, it just happens.

Steve++
Quote:

My note include instructions on how to wipe hard drives clean on Linux servers. 8-)

That kind of material is nothing to be proud of. >:(

Neil Black
Quote:

Re death announcement: I use my real-name for the a.cc forum, so if I die, somebody who knows me IRL is likely to Google my name and see that I post here, so they'll register an account and make an announcement.

Wow. No one would do that for me.

OICW
Quote:

Wow. No one would do that for me.

Leave a notice.

Neil Black
Quote:

Leave a notice.

No one who would honor such a notice has the technical skill to do that for me.

Slartibartfast

Leave a notice that includes detailed explanations on how to register and post to a.cc

Arthur Kalliokoski

Maybe some sort of script that'll run after a week has passed without you setting the time back? Of course, if you forget to set the time back, you'll have an embarrassing time explaining "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated".

Neil Black
Quote:

Leave a notice that includes detailed explanations on how to register and post to a.cc

For the guy who can barely turn on a computer, and gets completely lost trying to open a word document?

He's the person any message I left behind would go to, and he has no way of contacting my friends here on campus (although it is conceivable that they would contact him).

But it doesn't matter. You guys can assume I'm dead if I fail to post for more than five weeks. No announcement necessary.

BAF

Come on, it's not that hard to get online.

Neil Black

I'm being serious. If you asked him how to open a document he would just give you a blank stare. He's never used a computer in his life. Don't get me wrong, he's reasonably intelligent, he just has exactly zero experience and no desire to gain any.

MiquelFire

If that person is under 30, I would love to know how you have no experience in computers what so ever. (50 may be more a realistic age for the lower limit however)

Neil Black

He's about 50. He was a good friend of my dad's and took me in after my dad died.

wearetheborg
Arthur said:

[quote Phipps]

She needs to post more pics so your (and my) subconscious has something to work with.
</quote>

Shame on you! Your poor aunt. No wonder neither of you has a girlfriend.

Fjellstrom said:

I'm actually busy with plenty of things... School, work, volunteering, extra courses here and there, friends, family etc. You just move on in life, ya know? Can't stay stuck in the same spot forever.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

For the guy who can barely turn on a computer, and gets completely lost trying to open a word document?

You can assign stuff in your will to friends you know. And if they are friends, they will likely do as asked.

Quote:

Can't stay stuck in the same spot forever.

You might want to tell that to your brother ;)

Richard Phipps
Quote:

Shame on you! Your poor aunt.

>:(

Don't make me spank my auntie! 8-)

Arthur Kalliokoski

Last night I dreamed about trying to access the wglGetStrings() function and it returned a pointer to a load of hax0r bafflegab.

[EDIT] Phippseys original post about pictures didn't mention "aunt" did they? I was sure it was Diana.

Vanneto
Quote:

Last night I dreamed about trying to access the wglGetStrings() function and it returned a pointer to a load of hax0r bafflegab.

Damn if that ain't the g33kiest thing I read all week! ;D

Slartibartfast

I dreamed I was programming as well. But at least I was programming a cool 3D game with unique gameplay elements and interface.

alethiophile

Last night I dreamed that the Lethrblaka (from Eragon/Eldest) were actually large black cats.

Jakub Wasilewski
Quote:

I dreamed I was programming as well. But at least I was programming a cool 3D game with unique gameplay elements and interface.

Too bad programming like that doesn't work in real life :).

Steve++
Quote:

Someone's frustrated.

OICW
Quote:

Phippseys original post about pictures didn't mention "aunt" did they? I was sure it was Diana

Nope it didn't.

Andrei Ellman
Vanneto said:

Quote:

Damn if that ain't the g33kiest thing I read all week! ;D

Did anyone else have the urge to find out if bafflegab is a valid hex number? I converted it into 0xbaff1e6ab

AE.

wearetheborg
Phipps said:

I'm worried about you Phipps.

Rampage

Diana and RP are so funny. ;D

Archon
Quote:

Diana and RP are so funny. ;D

They're sitcom-worthy.

Richard Phipps

I'm only trying to relieve my frustration.. 8-)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Quote:

I'm worried about you Phipps.

She's concerned about you! It's a start! :D

HardTranceFan
Quote:

Don't make me spank my auntie!

Quote:

I'm only trying to relieve my frustration.. 8-)

Yep, spanking's one way to achieve that :-X

Rash

Thomas Fjellstrom, seriously, you weren't really planning to make a medical decision based on a dream of an (almost) complete stranger? Right?

Rampage

"It's true, I read it on the Internet" (TM)

Richard Phipps

But, I'm still not dead!!

Thread #595864. Printed from Allegro.cc