Harry Potter Theme Park
DanielH

I figure someone will mention it eventually.

what does everyone think about a Harry Potter Theme Park?

Would there be enough of a fan base to keep it going?

I'm a fan and I would go, but it's in Florida and I live in Arizona. Too far for me.

CGamesPlay

I live in Florida! I'm going to Hogwarts! Yay!

BAF

They are making a themepark in Rosell, and the main attraction is going to be a roller coaster that is supposed to simulate being abducted by an alien. How they know what being abducted by an alien is like, I have no idea.

bamccaig

I strongly dislike Harry Potter and The Lord Of The Rings, which I consider of the same nature. Personally, I wouldn't go if offered a free trip.

BAF

I'd go if offered a free trip. A free vacation to an amusement park... count me in.

Onewing
Quote:

Harry Potter and The Lord Of The Rings, which I consider of the same nature.

I don't think Harry Potter and LotR should be put in the same category. Harry Potter's alright, at least from what I've seen on the movies. Sadly, I don't know how to read...

FMC
Quote:

I strongly dislike Harry Potter and The Lord Of The Rings, which I consider of the same nature

Haha... did you actually read them?

bamccaig
FMC said:

Are you kidding!? I didn't even watch a movie! :o Previews were enough.

Hard Rock
Quote:

They aren't written by American authors so of course they are the same!

bamccaig
Hard Rock said:

They aren't written by American authors so of course they are the same!

I never said the books were the same. It has nothing to do with the authors. I mean the nature of Harry Potter stories and Lord of the Rings stories is, at least to me, the same and I don't like it.

Thomas Fjellstrom

the same? you're hilarious.

Richard Phipps

Do you mean you don't like the fantasy genre? That would make more sense to me..

X-G

They're nothing alike! Talk about... eheh... judging a book by its cover.

bamccaig
Richard Phipps said:

Do you mean you don't like the fantasy genre?

I like the Final Fantasy series so I don't think that's it... ;D I like fantasy, but I want fantasy to be explained. In Final Fantasy there's explanations for things that don't make sense in our world, which makes them make sense in Final Fantasy. It seems like in Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings there is no explanation for how things are and they feel too much like our world. They seem illogical to me and it makes the whole series look poorly designed.

X-G said:

Talk about... eheh... judging a book by its cover.

By movie previews, technically. ;D I did watch about half an hour of one of the Lord of the Rings movies and I hated it... The characters were girly... WTF!? I respected Elijah Wood for his part in The Faculty (good movie), but The Lord of the Rings series made him look like a fag (oddly, not censored)...

Michael Faerber
Quote:

It seems like in Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings there is no explanation for how things are.

Of course there are; if you see a flying car in the sky, you'll know who has built it. ;)

CGamesPlay
Quote:

It seems like in Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings there is no explanation for how things are and they feel too much like our world. They seem illogical to me and it makes the whole series look poorly designed.

Well, I recommend reading the Tolkien books. He actually created (and published) detailed histories of the various cultures that he describes in LotR. It's quite well-thought-out.

bamccaig
CGamesPlay said:

Well, I recommend reading the Tolkien books. He actually created (and published) detailed histories of the various cultures that he describes in LotR. It's quite well-thought-out.

You're telling me to read (do work) to understand and enjoy a series of book for which I haven't considered reading. These things should be explained in the movies. I don't have time to read the books.

Even if there are explanations for everything that would satisfy my dislike (which I doubt)(for some reason in ANOTHER book) it doesn't address the girly characters. :P

Matthew Leverton

Hahahahaha.

Thomas Fjellstrom

And somehow materia, espers, moogles, chokobos, and summons are believable? ;D

heh.

FMC

bamccaig, just for curiosity, did you ever read a book?
(comics and manuals don't count)

[edit]
{"name":"Missing%20link.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4d5f3352805f39d443fbaa0c31c45a56.jpg","w":489,"h":351,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4d5f3352805f39d443fbaa0c31c45a56"}Missing%20link.jpg
Not really related but a friend just sent me this and i had to share, i'm confident the meaning will get through even if it's Italian :)

nonnus29

The sad thing is many of the yutes today equate movie adaptations with books. It's your loss if you don't read. Samuel Clemens said: "he who doesn't read great books is no better than one that can't read at all".

LennyLen
Quote:

These things should be explained in the movies.

Since you haven't even seen the movies, how do you know they're not? Granted, they don't do much explaining of things in the LoTR movies, but that's beside the point.

relpatseht
FFF4NB01 said:

In Final Fantasy there's explanations for things that don't make sense in our world, which makes them make sense in Final Fantasy.

Thomas Fjellstrom said:

And somehow materia, espers, moogles, chokobos, and summons are believable?

I believe this settles the matter. The name given to BaMcCaIg (lets see if he goes into convulsions over that capitalization scheme) in the above quote is appropriate.

As for the theme park, I wouldn't call it a very good idea. The fan base is definitely there now, but considering the cost, picking up the fad of a particular generation was not a very good idea.

X-G

This is the stupidest argument I have ever heard. You haven't even seen the movies, yet you complain about them not explaining enough? Talk about retarded...

relpatseht

You don't seem to understand, X-G, he has seen the previews.

Jakub Wasilewski
Quote:

Are you kidding!? I didn't even watch a movie! :o Previews were enough.

When I read this, it really looked as if you have had finally developed the ability to use and understand sarcasm.

Sadly, this wasn't the case.

CGamesPlay
Quote:

You don't seem to understand, X-G, he has seen the previews.

My mom is the same way, except she actually forgets that she has only seen the previews...

Hard Rock
Quote:

By movie previews, technically. ;D I did watch about half an hour of one of the Lord of the Rings movies and I hated it..

I may be biased but I prefer reading books over watching movies. I read the Lord of the Rings which I liked, but I couldn't stand the movie. I didn't mind reading the Harry Potter books but once again I couldn't stand the movie. Ditto for Chronicles of Narnia.

I'm worried about the Golden Compass film coming out in Dec. It's an awesome book so I'll go see the movie, but I don't think I'm going to like it. I guess because when you read you can sort of create your own interpretation but when you have to watch someone else's it's just not as good.

Archon
Quote:

I strongly dislike Harry Potter and The Lord Of The Rings, which I consider of the same nature. Personally, I wouldn't go if offered a free trip.

Coming from someone who puts 4 movie quotes from the same movie in his signature. Your opinion about movie genres would be ... skewed.

bamccaig
Jakub Wasilewski said:

When I read this, it really looked as if you have had finally developed the ability to use and understand sarcasm.

Sadly, this wasn't the case.

::)

Hard Rock said:

I may be biased but I prefer reading books over watching movies...

...I guess because when you read you can sort of create your own interpretation but when you have to watch someone else's it's just not as good.

I think I enjoy reading, but I don't [have|make] time for it... :-/

Archon said:

Coming from someone who puts 4 movie quotes from the same movie in his signature. Your opinion about movie genres would be ... skewed.

My sig has little to do with my overall opinion about movie genres.

FMC
I said:

bamccaig, just for curiosity, did you ever read a book?

Eluding my question? ::)

GullRaDriel

Shit !! I am too late, and it was a bamccaig party :-(

Anyway, shame on you bamccaig ! I will not let you go without peeing at you ;-)

bammcaig said:

Yeah there is nothing magic in FF... :-X

Johan Halmén

Reader's Digest should publish an info card set about movies for people who don't bother to see the movie trailers/previews.

Archon
Quote:

Why would you put up four sets of quotes from a particular movie anyway?

miran
Quote:

This is the stupidest argument I have ever heard. You haven't even seen the movies, yet you complain about them not explaining enough? Talk about retarded...

Yeah, it's even worse than saying the GIMP and Blender are crap after trying to figure their UI out for 30 minutes. No, wait, it's not worse. It's the same... :-X

X-G

Absolutely! This is why I always make sure to try out the software I talk about before making poignant statements about them.

Rampage

I used to come to these forums to find intelligent discussions, after suffering a lot in others. Where shall I go now?

CGamesPlay

Did you win the case? Doesn't seem like it.

nonnus29
Quote:

Where shall I go now?

Sad isn't it? PM me if you find something..... :(

bamccaig
FMC said:

Eluding my question? ::)

I just didn't think it required an answer. :-/ Of course I've read novels in the past. If I found time I might read them now as well, but I'm already too busy.

GullRaDriel said:

Yeah there is nothing magic in FF... :-X

And what does magic have to do with my overall opinion of movie genres? :-/

Archon said:

Why would you put up four sets of quotes from a particular movie anyway?

::) Perhaps because I really like the movie?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

Sad isn't it? PM me if you find something..... :(

I noticed two turning points, a few of the normally semi negative peeps went full on negative, and then we got our very own troll.

FuriousOrange

As we're on the topic of reading, the first Godfather book is brilliant. I just read it after buying it in a charity shop for 20p. A bargain even though the pages started to fall out half way through.
It has great characters and excellent prose. In short it's just extremely well written in my opinion. Also it doesn't out stay its welcome length wise. Bloody brilliant!

Samuel Henderson

I wouldn't pay to go to a Harry Potter theme park either. If I received them with an all expenses paid trip to Florida I would probably wind up scalping the tickets in the HP Land parking lot and spending the rest of the time lounging about in the hotel.

As for LoTR and HP discussion.

I thought the LoTR was a good series which definitely kept me entertained for a while. I read the first few books HP and saw the first couple of movies and lost interest. I suppose it's possible I lost interest in the fantasy genre...

Oh wait, I still love playing Dungeons and Dragons, guess I do still like fantasy.

Johan Halmén

An Allegro Theme Park would be fun. Lots of slot machines with the best, no, ALL of the games on the depot. And some real world implementations of the games. And every Monday there would be a team that would make a game of your wildest ideas.

Jakub Wasilewski
Quote:

And every Monday there would be a team that would make a game of your wildest ideas.

Or at least a team that would discuss the topic fiercely, deride your game idea in several ingenious ways, shred your dreams to pieces and proceed to a discussion about relative merits of C and C++.

Or, we can have free beer.

Samuel Henderson
Quote:

Or at least a team that would discuss the topic fiercely, deride your game idea in several ingenious ways, shred your dreams to pieces and proceed to a discussion about relative merits of C and C++.

Or, we can have free beer.

After I make billions I will open such a park in my back yard. It will be marvelous I tell you MARVELOUS!

Jakub Wasilewski
Quote:

After I make billions I will open such a park in my back yard. It will be marvelous I tell you MARVELOUS!

The one with the beer? I'm in :)

Samuel Henderson

All a.cc members would get free unrestricted access to any grounds of the Allegro Amusement Park (AAP) as well as accomodations in the 5 star hotel I would presumably build immediately outside the park. Perhaps there would be some kind of monorail teleportation system from the hotel to the park. We'll see.

The beer would of course be open source, unless it gets fouled by a bad licensing scheme, in which we would have to hold a debate (probably on a.cc) as to what brand the new beer should be.

CGamesPlay
Quote:

monorail teleportation

Why do you need the monorail? :P

Johan Halmén

{"name":"592290","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/2\/62daba9a96cb05bb16636690c7f366d1.png","w":320,"h":320,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/2\/62daba9a96cb05bb16636690c7f366d1"}592290

Samuel Henderson
Quote:

Why do you need the monorail?

Well, everyone knows that all the coolest/most successful theme parks have monorails. I would step this up a notch by having the monorail cars load / unload at the hotel and park and then teleport to the destination. In appearance it be a normal monorail car on a normal monrail track. The track would disappear out of the building. I would call it the monoport in fact. The breakdown of this would work is as follows:

1. Either a park patron who is returning to the hotel or a hotel patron who is heading to the park decides to take the monoport.

2. The patron sees a normal looking monorail car and steps inside.

3. After waiting a specified number of seconds the car departs from the station

4. The door opens at the destination almost instantaneously after the departure.

5. The patron things to him/herself "Hot damn that was the fastest monorail ride EVAR!!11"

6. I lean back and smile.

What are the advantages of said monoporting?

1. Unlike allegro threads it will never be derailed ;)

Johan:
That is possibly the best thing I have seen since Lolcode ;D

Edit:
Woaaaah... wait... wait... As I read what I have posted I am amazed at my own idea. I am going to put that idea in the vault for now. And perhaps develop some kind of crazy tycoonish game based on it in the future.

Johan Halmén

Doesn't Johan Peitz have some Free Beer Design company?
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592293

Thread #591669. Printed from Allegro.cc