KVM Switch Hacking.
James Stanley

Hi, I've been playing around with the set_leds() function today, and I've found that I can make my KVM switch go to my other machine with the following program, I was wondering if anybody could test it. Compile it, linked with allegro, open a terminal window, run it for 10 seconds or so, then close it with Ctrl-C, then close the terminal window. See what happens. For reference, I have a Belkin USB 2-Port KVM Switch. Underneath it says '2-port KVM Switch with Built-in Cabling'. Here's the code:

#include <allegro.h>

int main() {
  allegro_init();
  install_keyboard();

while(1) {
    set_leds(KB_SCROLOCK_FLAG);
    set_leds(-1);
  }

return(0);
}

Do not run it without opening a terminal, else you'll have a harder time closing it. Also note that it didn't break my KVM switch at all, and I was able to switch back by pressing the button. I'd like it if people tried it with different makes and models, and if anybody knew the reason.

EDIT:
I don't know if install_keyboard() is required, I left it because I couldn't be bothered finding out, and seeing as I use set_leds, a keyboard function, I thought it would probably be needed.

BAF

Im guessing flashing the scroll lock key is a code to tell the kvm to switch. What if you rapidly hit the scroll lock button?

James Stanley

No, that doesn't do anything, also the code only turns the light on, it doesn't press the key, and when I press the key the light doesn't come on, I don't know why.

And the terminal has to be closed before the screen changes, it doesn't work if you just close the program. This is what I don't understand.

EDIT:
Ignore the bottom section above, it's just because there's a slight delay, and I always close the terminal just before it switches.

BAF

I still think it has something to do with some code. The fact that scroll lock doesn't turn on a light tells me something right there. Perhaps there's a computer driver that can switch your stuff by flashing scroll lock?

James Stanley

The only driver was for Windows, so I can't tell. You're probably right about it being something in the switch.

Thread #587071. Printed from Allegro.cc