getting a life (and a new avatar) \o/
Dennis

Finally after a long and dry period of not knowing what tomorrow will bring, big changes are brought up on their way to enter my life soon. I'll be moving away from my parents home next weekend(15th-16th July), 120km to Hamburg, where my three-year-apprenticeship in software development will start in August. \o/ :) \o/

I'm very excited, because that means I'll have my own, more independent life and that I'll finally grow up, earn my own money(not much but it'll be sufficient for rent and food).;)

So, to celebrate these changes and to temporarily say "Goodbye"(because I don't know yet if/when I'll get Internet at my new home) I decided to make even more changes and got me a new avatar, which is a small cutout of this piece of pixel art, which I made some time ago.

Well, here's my av.history, in case you wonder "who?":
{"name":"avatarhistory_t.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/9\/d98b5d89fd85428dc81ab6e7eefad5c3.png","w":640,"h":80,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/9\/d98b5d89fd85428dc81ab6e7eefad5c3"}avatarhistory_t.png
(also changed my sig a little)

Anyway. Just wanted to announce that. Now feel free to just use this thread as a generic "hey look my new avatar" thread or rant about big changes in your lives.:)

FMC

Godspeed :)

This really is an important step, i hope it brings you luck.
Keep us updated as soon as you get an internet connection.

dudaskank

Congratulations Dennis!

This will be hard in the start, you know, you will miss your parents, your house, etc... but it's normal.

Good luck in this new stage in your life :)

And for your new avatar... it's strange hehehe...

Richard Phipps

Hi Dennis,

I have friends in Hamburg and it's a nice city (although big!). There are a lot of different things to do and see and I'm sure you'll have a great time once you make some new friends. Just don't neglect your social life for the work. I think it's just as important personally! Good luck! :D

CGamesPlay

More importantly, don't neglect US for the work.

/me writes this from work ;D

nonnus29

Yes, congratulations! Life is all about change, so it's something everyone has to get used too, and like I always say, making money is COOL!

Felipe Maia

Congratulations. Hope you do well on your own :)

Dennis
FMC said:

This really is an important step, i hope it brings you luck.

Thanks. I hope so too and I'll of course keep you updated. After all, I'd die there without access to internet, so I hope there'll be at least a phone line for emergency dial-up access.;D

dudaskank said:

Congratulations Dennis!
This will be hard in the start, you know, you will miss your parents, your house, etc... but it's normal.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll mostly miss the forest and our cat and probably the silence of the village life.

Richard said:

I have friends in Hamburg and it's a nice city (although big!). There are a lot of different things to do and see and I'm sure you'll have a great time once you make some new friends. Just don't neglect your social life for the work. I think it's just as important personally! Good luck! :D

Big it is indeed. (Thank god, I'll not be located directly in the middle of the city but a bit towards the outside, near one of the last subway stations before the cities borders.) As for neglecting social life, I'm afraid that just that is going to happen, but I hope the working atmosphere will be good, so that's not much of an issue. :) Thank you for the good luck.

CGamesPlay said:

More importantly, don't neglect US for the work.
/me writes this from work ;D

Hehe, I'll better not do that.

nonnus29 said:

Yes, congratulations! Life is all about change, so it's something everyone has to get used too, and like I always say, making money is COOL!

Thanks and yeah it was about time for a change here. I doubt that I'll "make" much money in those three years though. I'm mainly doing it for the experience and for getting the official certification in the end.;) I think I'll always be at +-0 Euro at the end of each month, because rent is high and payment(for an apprenticeship) is low. But I'm not going to complain. I'm thankful that we don't live in times anymore, where the apprentice has to pay the company to get trained.8-)

Felipe said:

Congratulations. Hope you do well on your own :)

Thank you too.

Thank you all again for all your good wishes.:)
(It's so going to rock there!:D)

Rampage

I changed my avatar AND my nick :P.

Seriously, good luck with your apprenticeship!

gnolam

Best of luck to you!

And don't you dare drop off the Internets or the forum altogether - I mean, who else am I going to mooch pixel art off of when my C64 project finally gets under way? ;)

Billybob

Dude that totally rocks.

Dennis

Thank you Rampage and thank you gnolam: If I were you though, I wouldn't count on me making any pixel art for your project, just ask Andrei E., he's still waiting for the art for Chickens...;D Of course I'd love to do pixel art for a great variety of projects, but realistically, it's not going to happen because I'll most certainly be very busy with work and life.:)

William said:

Dude that totally rocks.

Yay.\o/

Mars

Congratulations, Dennis! Moving out is a big step. I did it last October when I moved to Leipzig to study physics and I'm so fully enjoying myself here, it's uncanny!

Crazy Photon

Congratulations man!!

It's a very important step in life, when you become independent and do things on your own and for yourself...

I've been doing a similar thing lately, I became independent from my parents, and moved to live with my girlfriend. It has been very nice so far, except we have been living stressful lives recently (because or work and thesis), but it's worth it :)

Archon

Of course, all of those pics are the same thing --> Dennis Busch.

Dennis
Mars said:

Congratulations, Dennis! Moving out is a big step. I did it last October when I moved to Leipzig to study physics and I'm so fully enjoying myself here, it's uncanny!

Thank you, yay, I'll be having a great time too, I just know it.

Crazy Photon said:

Congratulations man!!
It's a very important step in life, when you become independent and do things on your own and for yourself...

Hooray, I'm almost running out of "thank you"s. :D But Thank you! :)

Also thanks everyone for sharing a bit of your experience.

Archon said:

Of course, all of those pics are the same thing --> Dennis Busch.

In different mental states, yes.

LennyLen

Good luck Dennis. Moving 120Km away is pretty much ideal - it leaves you alone enough to gain independance, but you're still close enough to keep in good contact with your family. :)

[append]

Re: new avatars.

Who can name the gentleman in my new one? ;)

gnolam
Quote:

earn my own money(not much but it'll be sufficient for rent and food).;)

Learn to love pasta! ;)

LennyLen
Quote:

Learn to love pasta!

:D

My first flatmate and I lived on 2-minute noodles, spagetti with ketchup, and rice pudding. When things were really desperate, we'd be eating bread sandwiches - a piece of fried bread between two pieces of unfried bread.

gnolam

Just don't forget the ketchup. It's what keeps the scurvy away.

Dennis

Thank you Lenny, also thanks for the advice on food, I appreciate that.

LennyLen said:

When things were really desperate, we'd be eating bread sandwiches - a piece of fried bread between two pieces of unfried bread.

:o (Hehe, that sounds funny now, but probably wasn't funny at that time.;D)

gnolam said:

Learn to love pasta! ;) [..] Just don't forget the ketchup. It's what keeps the scurvy away.

Thanks for that advice as well.
/me takes note: Pasta + Ketchup = PROFIT!:D

Archon
Quote:

/me takes note: Pasta + Ketchup = PROFIT!:D

Correction:
Pasta + Ketchup + ??? = PROFIT!:D

jhuuskon

With enough Onion, salt and pepper you can fool your tastebuds into thinking you have something with your pasta. :)

Richard Phipps

Surely you could afford cheap beans and toast. :)

FMC
Quote:

With enough Onion, salt and pepper you can fool your tastebuds into thinking you have something with your pasta.

Oil.
Olive oil, onion, salt and pepper are the key to a good "pasta in bianco" ;)

Johan Halmén

Fry 300 g ground meat (beef). Add no fat if you have a non-sticky pan. Press some garlic. Add mashed tomato (tin can, about 200 g). Grind black pepper. Add basil and oregano and salt. There's a salsa bolognese for you to go with spaghetti and some parmiggiano. And don't you dare put any ketchup on it.

FMC
Quote:

And don't you dare put any ketchup on it.

Yep, there are much better sauces than ketchup to make pasta with. (i actually never tried ketchup in my spaghetti but the thought of it makes me shiver...)

Marcello

Or get fresh tomatoes and boil them 10-15 minutes. :D (Instead of canned.)

Marcello

LennyLen
Quote:

Yep, there are much better sauces than ketchup to make pasta with.

Certainly, but none are cheaper. :P

Marco Radaelli

Congratulations and good luck :)
Hope to see you soon :)

FMC
Quote:

Certainly, but none are cheaper.

If you can't afford tomatoes go with the olive oil, onion, salt and pepper recipe. ;)

LennyLen
Quote:

If you can't afford tomatoes go with the olive oil, onion, salt and pepper recipe.

Ketchup - Free (when stolen from McDonald's and Burger King)
Tomatoes - $0.99 a can ($1.50 fresh)
Olive Oil - $6.50

Guess why we used ketchup. ;)

Plus, I'm allergic to onions. :'(

Dennis
Marco Radaelli said:

Congratulations and good luck :)
Hope to see you soon :)

Thank you. Currently it looks like some minor bureaucratic annoyance will delay the move for a few days. I still hope for the 15/16th but I have to wait for some important papers(from different sources) to arrive here first.

Thanks to everyone else for more food advice.:)
I don't think the Ketchup at McD and BK is free here. It might be free at some places but they usually ask you if you want to have ketchup with your fries. (It's not like you can grab it directly from some box to which everyone has free access.)

gnolam
Quote:

I don't think the Ketchup at McD and BK is free here.

YOU LIVE IN BIZARRO WORLD!

OICW

Good hunting ;)
And if you really want to safe your money for food here is even cheaper receipt for bread sandwich:
Take one slice of bread and rivet it from both sides with your hands.
Gnolam: in that case I do live too, here you pay for the ketchup in McD. I always knew that I want to live in northeuropean countries.

Dennis

Thanks OICW and yes, paying for ketchup at McD is bizarre, because at almost every little pommes-frites-shack you get it for free, unfortunately directly onto your fries and not in any portable form that would allow taking it home for future use.

Andrei Ellman

A belated congratulations from me. :D

Have you found a place to live yet? The first few weeks can be a bit hectic, but once you've settled in, you should start finding some free time once again.

Is Hamburg one of Germany's more expensive cities?

AE.

Richard Phipps

As I've said before, don't forget the social life. It really is very important. Trust me on this! :)

Dennis

Thank you Andrei, you know I haven't responded to your emails yet because of all those things on my mind now, regarding the job/move/everything.

I have found one of the rare cheaper places(=affordable with an apprentices wage + government aid) and I originally planned on moving this weekend(the day after tomorrow to be precise), but some annoying bureaucratic issues have delayed this, so I hope to move sometime in the middle of next week. (I already signed the rent contract for the room.)

As for the social life, I'll see what I can do.:) First few weekends, I'll have to visit home/friends anyway to wash clothes, as I won't have a washing machine there.(I figured that I will be able to afford a washing machine after a few months of working.)

Archon

Of course we've provided Dennis Busch will numerous options to speed this up but he refuses!

Dennis

iirc Archon, your only suggestions were "kill the landlord and the people from the agency". For one that's not "numerous" options and that aside, I like to stay legal when dealing with problems. Violence works in games, not IRL.;D

OICW

There isn't some public wash-maschine, where you can go, pay and have your clothes washed?

Dennis

I thought about that too, but don't know yet if there is one near my place-to-be. If there is one, it would of course be the better option.

As for the bureaucratic issues: Resolved! \o/ I'll be handed over the keys and the room next Tuesday.:)

OICW

Did you use 9mm arguments or your charisma?

Andrei Ellman
Quote:

Yep, there are much better sauces than ketchup to make pasta with.

My fave is Arrabiata sauce.

AE.

Dennis

Neither of these, just had to wait until all the needed papers did their slow work.

[edit]Andrei posted, while I was still thinking how to phrase my response to OICWs question. /me goes checking what that sauce is[/edit]

Archon
Dennis Busch said:

iirc Archon

'u' didn't 'rc' - I also suggested that you marry into his family.

Dennis

I'm sorry Archon, I forgot that but I still didn't know if the landlord even had a hot unmarried relative to marry, so that option was also impracticable.

A J

I wish you all the best, i hope you get connected again shortly. I'll wish ya!

"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving.", Boat Car Guy (from that film)

Dennis

Yay, thank you AJ, also thanks for the quote from Waking Life and even more thanks for recommending that movie to me earlier. :)

So... we were at my place to be today for getting the keys and for cleaning up and stuff. I'll move the day after tomorrow, so I got tomorrow for packing more of my possessions into boxes.

I've uploaded a few pictures (3.5MB in total) of my current room and my place to be:
File 1 of 7
File 2 of 7
File 3 of 7
File 4 of 7
File 5 of 7
File 6 of 7
File 7 of 7
(had to split the archive, due to a per file sizelimit on my free webspace |
XPs builtin zip is reported to have problems extracting the multivolume archive, but
it worked fine for me with WinRAR or IZArc)

Arthur Kalliokoski

I bet the move will seem like going into fresh air outside after being in a stuffy room so long you became inured to the stuffiness. Except for the noise part. Maybe you can find an internet cafe, or make friends with somebody with an internet connection. I pay half my landladys ISP bill to sponge an hour or so every other day.

Thread #586293. Printed from Allegro.cc