WHAT THE FU..? Strange Chess Rules?!?
Dennis

Welcome to "Me Vs. Amiga-(BattleChess Level 3)"
It is the computer's turn... computer plays blue...
(i clearly thought that i was going to win this game:)... but then...)

BEFORE:
http://homepages.compuserve.de/DennisTapier/allegroforum/BEFORE.PNG

AFTER:
http://homepages.compuserve.de/DennisTapier/allegroforum/AFTER.PNG

I almost fell off my chair, not believing my eyes, screaming "WHAT THE FUC#!">:(.
I do not understand why that move was legal...
What strange kind of voodoo-magic-master-trick-geek-chess-rule does allow a pawn to slay like that???

DanTheKat
  • Gets on his knees, trembles inhumanely, and starts crying with great fear... *

Trezker

pfft, chess is for wimps.
Play Go instead.

Hrvoje Ban

En passent:

|--|--|--|--|--|--|
|  |  |  |  |  |  |
|--|--|--|--|--|--|
|  |  |E1|Y2|  |  |
|--|--|--|--|--|--|
|  |  |  |E2|  |  |
|--|--|--|--|--|--|
|  |  |  |Y1|  |  |
|--|--|--|--|--|--|

If you make two-step move with your pawn (Y1 to Y2), your opponent can pretend that you made just one step and capture your pawn (E1 to E2).

da_flo

This move is totally legal. It's called "prendre en passant" in french ( sorry, I didn't look up for the english yet ).
The computer had the right to do it because you moved your pawn ( the one who was killed ) by two squares the move immediately before. Here is an explanation of what happened : http://www.paginus.com/lesechecs/e.html#enpassant

[EDIT] Beaten >:( ( that's what you get when you write too long a post ;D )

Dennis

Thanks guys, that explains.:)

Evert
Quote:

This move is totally legal. It's called "prendre en passant" in french ( sorry, I didn't look up for the english yet ).

Same. Just as saying j'adoube if you touch a piece without intending to move it.

About the position itself... I think I'd rather have black, even without the en-passant, e4-e3 looks like it's enough to counter the thread on the king's side and then you're a rook down...

amarillion

You learn something every day eh?

I believe the pawn two-step was an addition to the rules, to speed up the opening phase of chess games. I guess somebody complained that was not fair, because that would allow you to avoid getting slayed just like you were trying to do right here. So that is why the en passant rule was introduced.

Corelian

Posting this just to make sure you know about the castling move (another url, check the special moves), so you don't have to come back here when the computer pulls that one at you. :)

Sirocco

Hmm... that's a new one for me, but our house rules only permitted a double-space move for a pawn once in any game (which normally occured during the first two turns), so that explains why the situation never came up ;)

Neat.

Krzysztof Kluczek
Quote:

(i clearly thought that i was going to win this game:)... but then...)

How? Even if computer didn't capture your pawn but just moved it one square down you would have been in trouble. Also I don't think you were going to win with your opponent having two rooks on the last row. :)

Quote:

our house rules only permitted a double-space move for a pawn once in any game (which normally occured during the first two turns)

A pawn can move two squares only from it's starting position, but it's counted for every pawn separately. :)

spellcaster

Well, it's obvious what happend here.
The computer's pawn threatend the area you were passing through. He must have scored a critical hit with his attack of opportunity - or, if the compuetr's pawn is an assasin and had enough time to study you, it might simply have been his deadly strike.

You can avoid this by letting your cleric (or druid) buff you before combat. He should also have a cure spell ready in case the HP of one of your party members are dropping below 0.

Dennis
Evert said:

About the position itself... I think I'd rather have black, even without the en-passant, e4-e3 looks like it's enough to counter the thread on the king's side and then you're a rook down

Great let's play it through(Starting with the BEFORE situation). You're blue and you just moved e4-e3.
Now its my turn: I move my pawn f4-f5.
Your turn.;)

Corelian: Yep thanks, though i already knew the castling.:)

KK said:

How? Even if computer didn't capture your pawn but just moved it one square down you would have been in trouble.

Not much trouble as i see it. (see my response to evert)

Good news: I just played another game on the same level(lasted about 4 hours(most of the time the computer was idle thinking) and i won.Yeah!:D

ReyBrujo
Quote:

Ugh, I do hate coordenates. Why people can't use ye olde P5A (that may be P5B, since alfil in spanish is bishop in english)?

Dennis

Rey?
To make sure we're talking the same coordinates:

8   x   x   x   x
7 x   x   x   x  
6   x   x   x   x
5 x   x   x   x          
4   x   x   x   x       
3 x   x   x   x      
2   x   x   x   x
1 x   x   x   x  
  a b c d e f g h

ReyBrujo

Yeah, but I am playing chess, not naval battles :P There is another system, where you say [piece][target], P5B you are saying you are moving a pawn 5 squares from the Bishop square. Of course, you may be too young to have ever heard of it :P

Archon
Quote:

The computer's pawn threatend the area you were passing through. He must have scored a critical hit with his attack of opportunity - or, if the compuetr's pawn is an assasin and had enough time to study you, it might simply have been his deadly strike.

That wouldn't happen if Dennis gave all of his pawns Spring Attack.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I recall hearing people say "Pawn to Rook 4" or similar.

Crazy Photon

RB: I know what are you talking about :) I think here in South America most people still use that system (or at least here in Uruguay)

Evert
Quote:

You're blue and you just moved e4-e3.

Ok, e3xd2+

Quote:

Not much trouble as i see it. (see my response to evert)

I fail to see your point, but we'll see, won't we?

EDIT

Quote:

Ugh, I do hate coordenates. Why people can't use ye olde P5A

Because algebraic notion is superior and easier? Anyway, he played PKB5 (Pawn to King's Bishop 5) and I played PQ7: (Pawn takes Queen's seventh).

Dennis
Evert said:

Ok, e3xd2+

I take it that 'x' means that you've slain my bishop with your pawn and the '+' means check... Hm... Ok
e1xd2 (slay your pawn with my king)

To that old notion: I don't get it.(Possibly someone could link to somewhere it is explained?)

[edit]
You can take your time with your next move... i'll be back in about 16 hours.
Now that i've set up the current situation on a real chess board next to my monitor, i'm not so sure to win anymore, that is, if i continue to play against myself, black always wins... but well, maybe you'll make a silly mistake:P.

Evert
Quote:

I take it that 'x' means that you've slain my bishop with your pawn and the '+' means check..

Yes.

Quote:

e1xd2

Bd3xf5

Quote:

You can take your time with your next move... i'll be back in about 16 hours.

I'll be gone on sunday, so it's best to finish before then. On the other hand... I think I've made my point before that time.

Quote:

but well, maybe you'll make a silly mistake:P.

Unlikely, unless I have less than a minute to complete the game. ;)

ReyBrujo

Main thing I hate about the navy battle coordenates is that you cannot see at a first glimpse if you took a piece or not. With the old notation, you can easily see what is happening with the x, +, ++, !, !!, ?, ??, 0-0, 0-0-0, ap and all those shortcuts. Do this system also use them?

(Edited: This is strange, now I read it is done this way, though everytime I read in the newspaper down here they don't even use the x to signal a capture, directly the pieces positions, like f5-f4, e4-f4).

Oh, and you are right Evert, I got the notation mixed when translating them from spanish (I thought I had to modify the order).

Quote:

PKB5

Since there is only pawn in a bishop line, you could have ommited the K to make it PB5. It is still strange to see a B there, though.

(Edited: See Descriptive chess notation for an explanation of how to use it).

Steve Terry

Could be worse, I wrote a chess program long ago when I was first learning C, it was never completed but somehow after some moves the AI Queen would go berserk and disappear taking a few pieces with her, nice self destructing queen... I'm pretty sure it wasn't a legal move ;D

Dennis
Evert said:

Bd3xf5

I couldn't resist coming back early.
(I could delay the end of the game a little if i wanted: h5-f3;D)
But i won't. I surrender. You win!:)

Now i'm going to read those instruction on the old notion, thanks Rey.

[append]
I've prepared a monospaced board, just in case anyone wanted to play a whole game here on the forum:D...(not with me though, dial-up would get too expensive for that)

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
8 | T |.H.| B |.Q.| K |.B.| H |.T.|
7 |.P.| P |.P.| P |.P.| P |.P.| P |
6 |   |...|   |...|   |...|   |...|
5 |...|   |...|   |...|   |...|   |
4 |   |...|   |...|   |...|   |...|
3 |...|   |...|   |...|   |...|   |
2 | p |.p.| p |.p.| p |.p.| p |.p.|
1 |.t.| h |.b.| q |.k.| b |.h.| t |
    a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h

(lower case=white, UPPER CASE=BLACK, p=pawn,t=tower,h=horse,b=bishop,q=queen,k=king)
(make sure you put the 'pre' tag around after copy 'n paste;))

Kirr

Dennis, the position you show is totally lost for white (red), even without en passant. I wonder why pawns and bishops look so similar in your diagram, it must be quite hard to play or analyze with program like that. ???

Quote:

Ugh, I do hate coordenates. Why people can't use ye olde P5A (that may be P5B, since alfil in spanish is bishop in english)?

There are two Bishop squares, how you disambiguate between f5 and c5? I think it's lucky that most people don't use descriptive notation anymore, or may be I'm also too young to like it. All chess publications in my country (Russia) are done in algebraic notation for the last 100 years at least. So I'm in "naval battle" camp. ;D

Quote:

Main thing I hate about the navy battle coordenates is that you cannot see at a first glimpse if you took a piece or not. With the old notation, you can easily see what is happening with the x, +, ++, !, !!, ?, ??, 0-0, 0-0-0, ap and all those shortcuts. Do this system also use them?

Sure! :)
Also see any of about first hundred of search results.

Dennis
Kirr said:

Dennis, the position you show is totally lost for white (red), even without en passant.

Yep, now i know. (Evert already showed me.;))
(Inside the game, bishop and pawn are quite well distinguishable, it may be because of the poorly resized blurry screenshots.)

Attention: To make sure it is not overlooked after the page split: See the [append] to my previous post...;)

ReyBrujo
Quote:

There are two Bishop squares, how you disambiguate between f5 and c5?

If needed to, add K for the king side or Q for the queen side.

Kirr

I think using R for Rook (tower) and N for Knight (horse) is much more popular in English language.

Anyway, I also made one (asterisk means side to move):

r n b q k b n r
    p p p p p p p p
    . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . .
    P P P P P P P P
 *  R N B Q K B N R

:D

Krzysztof Kluczek
Quote:

the AI Queen would go berserk and disappear taking a few pieces with her, nice self destructing queen... I'm pretty sure it wasn't a legal move ;D

Spawn Broodling? ;)

Dennis
r n b q k b n r  *
p p p p p p p p
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . P . . .
P P P P . P P P
R N B Q K B N R

Well ok, since nobody seems to want to start playing, i'll jump right in, but to make it more fun(and take out the long delays), everybody here should always be allowed to make a move:D

Radagar
Spellcaster said:

Well, it's obvious what happend here.

You can avoid this by letting your cleric (or druid) buff you before combat. He should also have a cure spell ready in case the HP of one of your party members are dropping below 0.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Derezo
r . b q k b n r 
p p p p p p p p
. . n . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . P . . .
P P P P . P P P
R N B Q K B N R *

..I suck at chess.
[edit: Hey wait.. aren't black's k and q mixed up?]

Dennis
r . b q k b n r *
p p p p p p p p
. . n . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. P . . P . . .
P . P P . P P P
R N B Q K B N R

You should have placed the asterisk to the side whose turn it is after you moved.;)

Derezo said:

I suck at chess.

Everybody says that. Purely psychological warfare i think.:P

(Black's k and q are correctly placed. It's always "white queen->white field, black queen->black field" and the field in the lower right is white.)

Evert
Quote:

(I could delay the end of the game a little if i wanted: h5-f3;D)
But i won't. I surrender. You win!:)

hehe :)
Eh... you did see that rook on g4, right?

Didn't Mike Jensen set up a site where you could play chess against eachother?

Dennis
Evert said:

Eh... you did see that rook on g4, right?

No, i accidantially set up my real chess board wrong and put it on g5 but that's of course not to be taken as an excuse that i have lost but merely a poor explaination on why i was able to move h5-f3...:P

FMC
r . b q k b n r *
p p p p . p p p
. . n . . . . .
. . . . P . . .
. . . . . . . .
. P . . P . . .
P . P P . P P P
R N B Q K B N R

It's difficult to see diagonals without colours :P

Karadoc ~~
Quote:

I guess somebody complained that was not fair, because that would allow you to avoid getting slayed just like you were trying to do right here. So that is why the en passant rule was introduced.

I've been told that it was introduced to prevent the board from becoming blocked up in the end game, eg (pawns only {x, y}, so that we can see the difference):

. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. x . . . . x .
. y . x . . y .
. . x y . x . .
. . y . . y . .
. . . . . . . .

Dennis

Mithrandir:
Pay more attention: This game is case SeNsItIvE;)
And you also put the '*'(==asterisk) on the wrong side.;)

r . b q k b n r *
p p p p . p p p
. . n . . . . .
. . . . p . . .
. . . . . . . .
. P . . P . . .
P B P P . P P P
R N . Q K B N R

FMC
Dennis said:

Mithrandir:
Pay more attention: This game is case SeNsItIvE;)
And you also put the '*'(==asterisk) on the wrong side

Ahh sorry :)
But what does the asterisk mean? I thought it was a bug or a typo :P

Dennis
Mithrandir just said:

But what does the asterisk mean? I thought it was a bug or a typo

way above, Kirr said:

(asterisk means side to move)

Kirr
r . b q k b . r 
p p p p . p p p
. . n . . n . .
. . . . p . . .
. . . . . . . .
. P . . P . . .
P B P P . P P P
R N . Q K B N R *

Dennis
r . b q k b . r *
p p p p . p p p
. . n . . n . .
. . . . p . . .
. . . . . . . .
. P . B P . . .
P B P P . P P P
R N . Q K . N R 

Kirr
r . b q k b . r 
. p p p . p p p
p . n . . n . .
. . . . p . . .
. . . . . . . .
. P . B P . . .
P B P P . P P P
R N . Q K . N R *

OK, I'll stick on the dark side... :)
Everyone! this is team game, so join either white or black and make moves. :)

There is also FEN notation for cases when you need more compact representation. Current position would look like this in it:
r1bqkb1r/1ppp1ppp/p1n2n2/4p3/8/1P1BP3/PBPP1PPP/RN1QK1NR w KQkq - 0 5
This notation is the reason why I used capital letters for white.

Quote:

It is mostly abandoned now, even by him. It's nice site, but it lacks some basic features, like possibility to draw offer or to resign. As a result games must last until the checkmate, which is quite painful to see (or participate).

Dennis
r . b q k b . r *
. p p p . p p p
p . n . . n . .
. . . . p . . .
. . . . . . . P
. P . B P . . .
P B P P . P P .
R N . Q K . N R 

Kirr
r . b q k b . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . n . . n . .
. . . p p . . .
. . . . . . . P
. P . B P . . .
P B P P . P P .
R N . Q K . N R *

Dennis
r . b q k b . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n . . n . .
. . . p p . . .
. . . . . . . P
. P . B P Q . .
P B P P . P P .
R N . . K . N R 

ReyBrujo

Have you ever tried to blind (sp?) or blitz (sp?)? I can blitz somewhat, but I get lost after the opening when blind :(

Kirr

Hmm...

r . . q k b . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . n . . n . .
. . . p p . . .
. . . . . . b P
. P . B P Q . .
P B P P . P P .
R N . . K . N R *

Dennis
ReyBrujo said:

Have you ever tried to blind (sp?) or blitz (sp?)?

I'm afraid, i don't understand the question.

r . . q k b . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n . . n . .
. . . p p . . .
. . . . . . b P
. P . B P . Q .
P B P P . P P .
R N . . K . N R 

ReyBrujo

Playing chess without seeing the board, or playing lightning fast matches (5 minutes plus 10 second for every movement you have done).

spellcaster

Blind chess - play without having an actual board to look at
blitz - Blitzschach - just act, don't take time to think about your moves.

Kirr

It seems no one joins the game?

r . . q k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . n b . n . .
. . . p p . . .
. . . . . . b P
. P . B P . Q .
P B P P . P P .
R N . . K . N R *

I am not good in both blindfold and blitz. Actually I more enjoy analysis, endgame studies, chess programming, etc, rather than playing chess myself. :)

Beat this one in a minute to know if you can blitz.. :)

Evert
Quote:

Beat this one in a minute to know if you can blitz.. :)

I know I can, but I tried anyway just for fun.
I bodged it badly, but fortunately it doesn't really matter. I'd forgotten that it cheats though! I claim a point! >:(

(my last move was Bxf7)

imaxcs

It took me around 10 minutes. 1 minute is insane... :)
Also, the my figures were hard to distinguish on my crappy LCD.

ReyBrujo

I remember having won a game against a friend using four moves, first moving my King pawn, then the bishop to one side, the queen to the other, and finishing with the queen protected with the bishop.

But other than that, I cannot play that fast. In some chess tournaments I have seen a two vs two chess game. You sit with your partner to your side, both facing the contrary. One plays with white, the partner with black. As soon as you eat a piece of your opponent, you put it to the side, and your partner can pick it up and put it in his board as his piece. You have only one minute, and as soon as one of the clocks (yours or your partner's) reach it both lose. It is quite an experience to see it.

(Edited: Scholar's mate, that is)

FMC

r . . q k . . r*
. p p . . p p p
p . n b . n . .
. . . p p . . .
. . . . . . b P
. P N B P . Q .
P B P P . P P .
R . . . K . N R 

Arthur Kalliokoski

"En Passant" translates to "In Passing" in English, but I bet it'd be named "clotheslineing" like in American Football if it'd been invented lately:P

Dennis

This game is getting interesting...
(I'm on the white team, that's why i couldn't make a move but i wanted to reply anyway to show that i'm still around.;))

Kirr

Yeah, getting interesting.. Dennis, did you want to make this move? ;)(What the white team will do now...)

r . . q k . . r
. p p . . p p p
p . n b . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . p . b P
. P N B P . Q .
P B P P . P P .
R . . . K . N R * 

Arthur, most English speakers call it "en passant" anyway.

Quote:

Also, the my figures were hard to distinguish on my crappy LCD.

Mind that it's just 5kb in size, including graphics..

Dennis
r . . q k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n Q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . p . b P
. P N B P . . .
P B P P . P P .
R . . . K . N R 

We will be loosing our queen, regardless of what we do, so i thought:
"Go lady put your last breath to good use!";D

Kirr

Yay, I like sacrifices! :) (I guess you could try to save the queen with f2-f4)

r . . . k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . p . b P
. P N B P . . .
P B P P . P P .
R . . . K . N R *

FMC

Better :)
http://x2.putfile.com/7/19715495646.jpg

Black to play.

[i attached a clean bmp version of the board so people can modify it]

Dennis
r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
P B P P . P P .
R . . . K B N R 

Kirr said:

(I guess you could try to save the queen with f2-f4)

Might have been worth the try but if i was black i would then have either taken the bishop on d3 or used "en passent" to kill the pawn on f4 and after that the queen would have been troubled again, of course she could then be moved back to f2 but i didn't see any use in having the queen there trapped inside the own rows.

Mithrandir:
Nice board but editing,uploading,relinking takes far too much time for my taste;).
[edit] oops, i see that you already had moved on your board sorry!:( (ignore my scheme above, our bishop sits(unfortunately) on e2 not f1)

FMC

Dennis, i'm sorry but i'm not quite sure white can move twice in a row ;) (i moved last and it was black's turn)

Dennis

Yeah, sorry again, my edit wasn't fast enough.;)
Here's the corrected text display:

r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
P B P P B P P .
R . . . K . N R 

FMC

Np. I also guess it's partly my fault because my first move was with the black, then i decided to go to the light side.

Kirr
r . . . k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . . q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. n . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
P B P P B P P .
R . . . K . N R *

Mithrandir, your diagram looks good, but it's too troublesome to edit and upload the bitmap. I think it would be cool it ML made a new tag [chess-diagram]...[/chess-diagram], which you would use just like now we use "pre", and that will render a nice graphical diagram.

Mithrandir said:

Np. I also guess it's partly my fault because my first move was with the black, then i decided to go to the light side.

Hmmm.. Your black move was OK, while your white move was a blunder.. This suggests that your nature belongs with the dark side.. :)

ReyBrujo
Quote:

I think it would be cool it ML made a new tag [chess-diagram]...[/chess-diagram], which you would use just like now we use "pre", and that will render a nice graphical diagram.

I think he is barely keeping this thread open, don't ask for more ;D

Dennis
r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . . q . n . .
. . . p . . . .
. n . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
P B P P B P P .
R . . K . . N R 

Kirr

ReyBrujo, what's wrong with this thread? (except that it's totally derailed)

r . . . k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . . q . n . .
. . . p . b . .
. n . . p . . P
. P N . P . . .
P B P P B P P .
R . . K . . N R *

Jonny Cook

This thread is the spawn of Satan. That's what's wrong with it.

Derezo
Quote:

(except that it's totally derailed)

You call playing chess in a thread about chess rules 'totally derailed'? :o

You, sir, really need to see the milk link in my sig. ;)

Kirr

Hmm.. I can understand when people can be annoyed by political or religious threads, but to oppose chess is something new to me.. ???

Derezo, playing chess has nothing to do with the original question about en passant.

Derezo

Yes it does, Chess rules (en passant) are chess related. So is chess!
Not off topic at all, especially since the original question was answered. This is one of the most logical topic changes after that.

It hasn't derailed. The link in my sig is the definition of a derailed thread - from a milk drinking contest to discussing how the earth could be shaped likea torus. De. Railed. Derailed. ;D

Dennis
r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . . q . n . .
. . . p . b . .
. n . . p . . P
P P N . P . . .
. B P P B P P .
R . . K . . N R 

Kirr said:

Derezo, playing chess has nothing to do with the original question about en passant.

True but at least the topic is still Chess and not Go.(;)@Trezker(I've tried GNU-Go but i failed to beat the computer.)
But even if it turned to Go, the topic would still be 'board games'.
So i think this thread is pretty good saved against getting derailed.(No, this is not an invitation to give derailing a try.:P)

Lucid Nightmare

i would give you a simle answer... BAD LUCK!!!

Kirr
r . . . k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . n . .
. . . p . b . .
. . . . p . . P
P P N . P . . .
. B P P B P P .
R . . K . . N R *

OK, then it's still on topic, dispite all attempts.. :)

Lucid Nightmare

Dont you think this topic has been far more looked at and paid attention to with no reason.

FMC

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/8\/987d5d90033a8d2903ca60f396a04469.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/8\/987d5d90033a8d2903ca60f396a04469"}show.php

Not exactly [chess-diagram]...[/chess-diagram] but works ;)

Go here, paste the board, get the link and use in it the [ img ] tags.

[edit]Just remember to remove the asterisk from the board!

[edit2]

Quote:

Dont you think this topic has been far more looked at and paid attention to with no reason.

What? Is that supposed to be a question?

Lucid Nightmare

NO... A comment\observation

Dennis
r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . n . .
. . . p . b . .
P . . . p . . P
. P N . P . . .
. B P P B P P .
R . . K . . N R 

or(thanks to Mithrandir a graphical version):
[url http://inf1.altervista.org/chess/show.php?cset=1121776892.ch]:)
(unfortunately, if linked to directly using 'img', it only shows 'picture')

Kirr
r . . . k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . . . .
. . . p . b . .
P . . . p . n P
. P N . P . . .
. B P P B P P .
R . . K . . N R *

Mithrandir, that's very nice! Add the link to your sig, so it's easier to find.. :)

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/a\/ea5caeff4337926e31688a8985d70443.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/a\/ea5caeff4337926e31688a8985d70443"}show.php
(white to move)

Lucid Nightmare said:

Far more than what? I have reason to look at this topic - I love chess. I suppose others who pay attention have their reasons too. If you don't see a reason, then why don't you stop paying attention to this topic, nightmare?

Dennis
r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . . . .
. . . p . b . .
P . . . p . B P
. P N . P . . .
. B P P . P P .
R . . K . . N R 

Pic:
[url http://inf1.altervista.org/chess/show.php?cset=1121798386.ch]
(black to move)

Kirr
r . . . k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . . . .
. . . p . . . .
P . . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
. B P P . P P .
R . . K . . N R *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/5\/75c64aad9af475c057a33a3148b0d047.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/5\/75c64aad9af475c057a33a3148b0d047"}show.php
(white to move)

Dennis
r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . n q . . . .
. . . p . . . .
P . . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
. B P P N P P .
R . . K . . . R 

You forgot to say 'check'.:)

FMC

Added link to sig. :)

Dennis, doesn't this show up?
{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b3ec1ddc0cccdebe697a2a91a355fcd.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b3ec1ddc0cccdebe697a2a91a355fcd"}show.php

Dennis

All i can see is 'picture'. I have to right click and select 'View Image' from Mozilla to see it.:(

FMC

Uhm... i'm using Firefox and it shows up :(
Unluckily i really don't know what is going on and why it doesn't show.

Kirr

Yeah, I don't have habit to say "check", pro games are played silently too.. :)

r . . . k . . r 
. p p . . p p p
p . . q . . . .
. . . p n . . .
P . . . p . b P
. P N . P . . .
. B P P N P P .
R . . K . . . R *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/d\/ddeff71d5af3b0621cc8e99ae08439f4.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/d\/ddeff71d5af3b0621cc8e99ae08439f4"}show.php
(white to move)

Mithrandir, is it OK to use your tool every move? Won't we waste all of your bandwidth? :):-*

FMC
Quote:

Mithrandir, is it OK to use your tool every move? Won't we waste all of your bandwidth?

Nah, i get 10gb and the picture is only 9k.
On the contrary, since this is the only use for this, i'm glad it gets used.... otherwise it would be useless! :o

[edit]Dennis, please try refreshing the page, i changed a thing in the script.

Dennis
r . . . k . . r *
. p p . . p p p
p . . q . . . .
. . . p n . . .
P . . . p . b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P N P P .
R . . K . . . R

[url http://inf1.altervista.org/chess/show.php?cset=1121850667.ch]
(black to move)

Kirr said:

pro games are played silently too.. :)

Ok..:)

Mithrandir, I still get only 'picture'.
Maybe my Mozilla(1.6) is outdated...

Kirr
r . . . k . . r 
. p . . . p p p
p . . q . . . .
. . p p n . . .
P . . . p . b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P N P P .
R . . K . . . R *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/78569cb4eafaeea968c348716047540f.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/78569cb4eafaeea968c348716047540f"}show.php
(white to move)

Quote:

Nah, i get 10gb and the picture is only 9k.
On the contrary, since this is the only use for this, i'm glad it gets used.... otherwise it would be useless!

Great! Then I'll feel more easy using it. :)

Dennis, Mozilla 1.6 is quite outdated even if it had no problems with this picture. If you don't like Firefox, then you can at least upgrade to current Mozilla. (1.8?) (The diagram shows just fine for me with Firefox)

Crazy Photon
Quote:

I still get only 'picture'.

How are you writing the picture mockup?

Dennis
r . . . k . . r *
. p . . . p p p
p . . q . . . .
. . p p n . . .
P . . . p . b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P N P P .
. R . K . . . R

Crazy Photon said:

How are you writing the picture mockup?

Exactly as it is described here: [url http://www.allegro.cc/mockup.html]
That's got nothing to do with it. I think it's my browsers fault but i don't feel like upgrading just for playing chess.((11MB(Mozilla) or(4,7MB(Firefox)) is quite a lot to squeeze through a 56KBit DialUp connection.)

Kirr
r . . . k . . r 
. . . . . p p p
p p . q . . . .
. . p p n . . .
P . . . p . b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P N P P .
. R . K . . . R *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/2\/924fbc35d6e2710e8426f305cfdd9763.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/2\/924fbc35d6e2710e8426f305cfdd9763"}show.php
(white to move)

Dennis
r . . . k . . r *
. . . . . p p p
p p . q . . . .
. . p p n . . .
P . . . p . b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P N P P .
. R . K . R . . 

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/c\/0c7beafc674161266a8f9d2d277337eb.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/c\/0c7beafc674161266a8f9d2d277337eb"}show.php
(black to move)

Kirr
r . . . . r k . 
. . . . . p p p
p p . q . . . .
. . p p n . . .
P . . . p . b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P N P P .
. R . K . R . . *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/e\/3eb79dc2632d59c50456821022f67822.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/e\/3eb79dc2632d59c50456821022f67822"}show.php
(white to move)

Dennis
r . . . . r k . *
. . . . . p p p
p p . q . . . .
. . p p n . . .
P . . . p . b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P N P P .
. R . . K R . . 

FMC

The game seems quite balanced...
Bets on who wins are open!

Kirr
r . . r . . k . 
. . . . . p p p
p p . q . . . .
. . p p n . . .
P . . . p . b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P N P P .
. R . . K R . . *

Yeah, he built pretty good bunker... We shall see if I can break through.. :)

Dennis

Then i'd bet on black.;) (I don't feel the balance. In my opinion black is a little better off at the moment.)

[edit]Oh you already moved while i was typing:

r . . r . . k . *
. . . . . p p p
p p . q . . . .
. . p p n . . .
P . . . p N b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P . P P .
. R . . K R . . 

Kirr
r . . r . . k . 
. . . . . p p p
p p q . . . . .
. . p p n . . .
P . . . p N b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P . P P .
. R . . K R . . *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f80f325602d31d6e8b398367ad5630e.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f80f325602d31d6e8b398367ad5630e"}show.php
(white to move)

Dennis
r . . r . . k . *
. . . . . p p p
p p q . . . . .
. . p N n . . .
P . . . p . b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P . P P .
. R . . K R . . 

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/3\/c3ee05a90b031dc6e9b9ab92d898269d.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/3\/c3ee05a90b031dc6e9b9ab92d898269d"}show.php
(black to move)

Plucky

I'm betting on black. It seems to me that White is in trouble. Black has more space and have relative piece value advantage.

dthompson

Happy 100th post, btw!

Kirr

Hmm... too aggressive for defending side.. I'd rather avoid exchanges in white's place.

r . . . . . k . 
. . . . . p p p
p p q . . . . .
. . p r n . . .
P . . . p . b P
B P N . P . . .
. . P P . P P .
. R . . K R . . *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4ddf44f8340f99a4224d31df267083c9.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4ddf44f8340f99a4224d31df267083c9"}show.php
(white to move)

Trumgottist

FWIW, I see all images. Opera 8, in case that matters.

Dennis

The defence couldn't have been hold forever anyways and that's why i'm being aggressive now.;)

r . . . . . k . *
. . . . . p p p
p p q . . . . .
. . p r n . . .
P . . . N . b P
B P . . P . . .
. . P P . P P .
. R . . K R . .

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/3\/f30ee3d83c3e17936a64d8adad029ab3.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/3\/f30ee3d83c3e17936a64d8adad029ab3"}show.php
(black to move)

FMC

...And thus the battle ends?
(quote from a cannon(?) game)

Dennis

FMC: Seems like it's over. Black hasn't moved for days.

Kirr???

FMC

..uhm, i'm not a great chess player and i hope Kirr doesn't get offended...

r . . . . . k .
. . . q . p p p
p p . . . . . .
. . p r n . . .
P . . . N . b P
B P . . P . . .
. . P P . P P .
. R . . K R . . *

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/5\/e54c847c56e0830c66780287186dacb1.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/5\/e54c847c56e0830c66780287186dacb1"}show.php
White to move.

Kirr

Sorry, I'm having a "stop or my mom will shoot" scenario here at the moment.. :-/ It will be like this until end of week, then I'll be around again. Black does not resign yet! I'll try to come here more often anyway.
:)

Quote:

..uhm, i'm not a great chess player and i hope Kirr doesn't get offended...

Not at all, I am happy to get a teammate.. :)
(FMC==Mithrandir?)

Dennis
r . . . . . k . *
. . . q . p p p
p p . . . . . .
. . p r n . . .
P . P . N . b P
B P . . P . . .
. . . P . P P .
. R . . K R . .

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/4\/740607e328dad83b68c2fb466455bdc3.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/4\/740607e328dad83b68c2fb466455bdc3"}show.php
(black to move)

Kirr said:

(FMC==Mithrandir)

Evaluates to true.

Evert

Nd3, checkmate.

You may want to take back that last move by white. ;)
Doesn't matter too much though, the game's lost anyway - though it'll be a bit more spectacular if black is allowed to finish his attack.

Dennis
Evert said:

Nd3, checkmate.
You may want to take back that last move by white.;)

Awwwh damn, i should have taken a closer look.>:(
Moved is moved, there is no taking back.:(

Congratulations to the Black Team, and special thanks to Kirr for a nice game and also special thanks to FMC(Mithrandir) for the picture-generator.:)

FMC
Quote:

Sorry, I'm having a "stop or my mom will shoot" scenario here at the moment..

Uhh... i know that one :-X

And, as Dennis said, (FMC==mithrandir)=true

Kirr

Wow, the game is already finished! Yay to the black team! Thanks everyone for the epic game. (esp. Dennis for the queen sacrifice) :)

(I'll try to join next game more often.)

Thread #508602. Printed from Allegro.cc