You know you've been on Allegro.cc too long when...
Andrei Ellman

Folowing on from the You Know When You've Been Hacking Too Long When... thread and the you know you've been playing BF1942 too long when... thread, howabout a "You know you've been on Allegro.cc too long when..." thread.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is this.

• Whenever you want to say a swear-word, you instinctively say the one that the allegro.cc censorship filter replaces it with.

Anyone care to add some more?

AE.

Torbjörn Josefsson

True, Andrei :)

</li>

Derezo

</li>

..hard to think of some more :P

Trezker
      • When there's an awkward silence, you want to click recent threads.

• You look like a smiley when you express feelings.

DanTheKat
      • You know every member's Birthday

• You shave so you know you aren't stealing an avatar theme

</li>

Fladimir da Gorf
      • You read through your old posts like a photo album of your yoth and remember fondly the nifty answes you gave (...*sniff*... that day I showed the world how well I can use the string class...)

• ... and witty remarks you made (...ha ha "spelling" is written with 2 l's... get that!)

Well, the quotes were just to set an example. ;)

Derezo
      • You discuss meeting allegro.cc members in real life ;D

• You've built games involving the avatars of other members on allegro.cc

Ok, I'll stop picking on 23. ;)

Cage

You make >8 post per day :P.

CGamesPlay

Hmm... Now, somebody should figure out what percentage of the content of the site on these forums is done by the members. So we can figure out exactly what share of the blame 23 gets :)

So... SteveT can do the by posts, but we'll need Matthew to do the by bytes :)

miran
      Quote:

So we can figure out exactly what share of the blame 23 gets

There are exactly 176914 posts on all the allegro.cc forums right now. 23 made 13420 of them which is exactly 7.5856%. In other words every one in thirteen posts was made by 23. There are exactly 3882 members of allegro at this time. This means 23 posts about 293 times more than the average allegro.cc member.

On topic:

• ...you calculate member statistics when you're bored

Evert
      • ... you find you only now know people on a messageboard devoted to game programming.

• ... you start wondering wether or not you're spending too much time on Allegro.cc

Derezo
      • You begin comprising a list of how to know you've been spending too much time on Allegro.cc

That's gotta be on every "How to tell when..." list.. ;D

X-G

• ... you make a list called "You know you've been on Allegro.cc too long when ..."
    • Derezo: A THOUSAND CURSES ON YOU! >:E

Marcello

...you've read this far down the thread.

Marcello

Billybob

You go to school one day and hear someone say something really funny and then tell them, "You've been sigged!"

CGamesPlay

That coming from a man without a sig....

DanTheKat
      • When you have a secret crush on either: crazy_k, Nicholle, Manjula, or Diana

</li>

wearetheborg

... when other members criticise your name, your sig and your avatar:P

you guys just love me don't ya

DanTheKat

</li>

spellcaster

- When you know who wrote a post just by reading the subject
        - If you managed to make j13 your personal arch-nemesis (esis...sis.is.sss)
        - If you write more code answering peoples questions than to update your own project.

lambik
        • ...you read a thread about a certain subject (let's say women) and can skip the comments by certain members because you can fill in the blanks by looking at their names

• ...you can summarise at least ten theories/conspiracies about Matthew's other accounts

Pradeepto Bhattacharya

... you make fun every member in the forum , even that nice chap who wishes members on their bdays.

23yrold3yrold
        Quote:

You've built games involving the avatars of other members on allegro.cc

Yeah, kdevil! ;)
        (I think a few people are guilty of this one, actually :))

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand the concept here ...

Derezo

Ok.
        I'll give an example.
        There was a game I use to play called utopia which was a medieval war game with dragons, races and magic spells.
        They made a list like this. Here's some of those:

"You look around wondering why everyone is playing human."
        "You once trained your pet iguana to be a dragon"
        "You tried to draw a map of your province. (It's a text game with no geographical sense at all)"
        "You tried to cast spells using scrabble tiles as runes"

..etc. :P
        Maybe not a good example because you don't know the context.. but, can't say I didn't try! :)

Billybob
        Quote:

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand the concept here ...

the concept is this. Most normal people, or maybe there are just a lot of non-normal people...eitherway, a lot of people will play or do something way too much, like play a game for two days straight. Well, their minds get wrapped cause of this, so even after stopping what they were doing, they still have that frame of mind. So they go out to do something in real life, and end up doing crazy stuff from the game they were playing.

Example, let's say you were coding ASM for 2 days straight. You're mind would be stuck in "coding ASM" mode. So when you stop and check your clock, you might figure it's in hex(since you play with HEX in ASM a lot). Stupid stuff caused by doing something for too long. Most of it's funny and good for laughs.

kazzmir
        • instead of going to www.google.com, you instinctively goto www.allegro.cc

• you dearly miss the rolling eyes emoticon

• you know what the top 20 posters have on the depot becuase you check their profile to often( not me )

wearetheborg
        • ...when you suck up to Matthew Leverton for no reason

Billybob

There are reasons, and good ones too...

manjula
        • when you ignore Leverton's testosterone filled comments

Synapse Jumps
        • When you're so upset by the misspelling in your SN that you PM Matthew to change it

• When you're angry enough that you have to come here through a proxy that you PM Matthew to change it (and he never does... ::))

• When you save the rolly and poppy eye expressions to use in your own direct connect AIM conversations

• You try to trick other Allegro.cc members into putting dumb stuff in their signatures.

• You click on the little yellow lightbulbs and just scroll to the end of the post, reading nothing, just so that the damn lightbulb will turn off!

DanTheKat
        • When you're not playing Magic: The Gathering or any other type of TCG

• When Civil War to the American viewer means "C++ vs. C"

</li>

Thomas Fjellstrom
        Quote:

instead of going to www.google.com, you instinctively goto www.allegro.cc

Whats spooky... I use www.google.ca :o so even the TLD is close :o

ROSTheFuture
        SJ said:

You click on the little yellow lightbulbs and just scroll to the end of the post, reading nothing, just so that the damn lightbulb will turn off!

Haha! That is so me.

EDIT:

</li>

Derezo

</li>
            ..believe me, get's boring at 3am. ;)

Quote:

instead of going to www.google.com, you instinctively goto www.allegro.cc

I do that, and the other way around.

Even when I type allegro.cc when I didn't want to, and I was just there... I still check the forums.. ::)

Andrei Ellman
            • When you become property of another member of Allegro.cc

Thomas Fjellstrom
            • When you've been a member for more than 3 years.

Trezker
            • You're ranking top ten.(serious warning!)

• You have made more than 1000 posts(which still leaves me out)

• You don't care that the poll has been the same for months.

Derezo
            Quote:

the poll has been the same for months.

• And you know the next one will be up for twice as long

</li>

gnolam
            • You know all the regulars' real names

• You've been sigged

</li>

Evert
            Quote:

* You're ranking top ten.(serious warning!)
            * You have made more than 1000 posts(which still leaves me out)

Aren't those inclusive? Anyone in the top 10 has over 1000 posts (I guess, since I'm not in the top 10).

Quote:

* You don't care that the poll has been the same for months.

• You don't care that there's a poll

Quote:

* You know all the regulars' real names

Not too hard for people like 23, Ben erm... Bruce that is, Steve, the Thomases, Mars, spellcaster, Matthew...

• When you know where the regulars live

spellcaster

When you talk about things that "happened" on allegro.cc

Trezker

Like the milk thread :D
            I also did a search today and found a religious thread, I was a real ass in it, we don't see any of those popping up nowadays, AFAIK.

Evert
            Quote:

Like the milk thread

The what?

• ... you feel like you missed out on something when someone mentiones a thread you've never seen.

Quote:

I also did a search today and found a religious thread, I was a real donkey in it, we don't see any of those popping up nowadays, AFAIK.

Matthew doesn't allow religious threads. They tend to degenerate into flamewars, unfortunately.

EDIT.

• ... you've made more than three posts in this thread

miran
            Quote:

The what?

The milk thread. Even I know about the Milk thread and I wasn't even a member then.

• ...you know about things that happened here before you even joined

spellcaster

if you jump directly to the "recent threads" page and only click from time to time on the actual allegro.cc main page...

Derezo
            Quote:

Like the milk thread

hahah.. yeah, definitely if you know what "The milk thread" is, you're a regular ;)

Quote:

I also did a search today and found a religious thread, I was a real donkey in it

Yeah, I was an ass in the first few religion threads ;)

..now I just don't participate too much in the discussions... unless maybe they're intelligent. Of course, religion and intelligence don't mix, so that never happens.. har har har har har.. ;)

Quote:

When you talk about things that "happened" on allegro.cc

I've done that more than once..
            "One time on allegro.cc, ..." ::)

Trezker

Shit, I hope I haven't turned this thread towards religious talking:-[

Quote:

"One time on allegro.cc, ..."

:-[ Heh, I refer to allegro.cc IRL disscussions much too often, no matter who I talk to.

Milk, the ultimate substance to make you go offtopic.

Derezo

Ahh.. just read through half that thread again. ;D

..we really go all over the place... and I don't make any sense at all half the time. ::)
            Since then I've heard the song "Flat Earth Society" too.. thought that was funny. :P

Torbjörn Josefsson

</li>

mEmO
              • the previous post made you ;D

And yes, I have heard rumours about it too ;D

Trezker
              • You start seeing avatars as real people.

TJ: You're scaring me.;)

Derezo

TJ's scaring you? ;D

Trezker

Well, you're scary too, but I've gotten used to that grin.

Johan Halmén
              • You've read this thread this far and repeated all the time: "No, that's not me. No way! Nonsense!"

Torbjörn Josefsson

siiiigh Some people are soooo jealous of beauty! ;)

wearetheborg

... when you have a not so secret admirer

the_y_man

DanTheKat, i can see you've quoted my sister (a person u dont even know) on many occasions, congratz, you're now a 13 yr old stalker (dont me diss you)

DanTheKat

It's just one big joke, right?

wearetheborg

Of course it is!

Rash
              • you're suddenly convinced you're a C++ expert yourself after seeing someone else answer questions on the subject before.

• you know which cliché thread corresponds to which day of the week (or can fake it).

Marcello

you actually care.

Marcello

the_y_man
              Quote:

you know which cliché thread corresponds to which day of the week (or can fake it).

That's the one!

When is "Let's start a team guys, i have no design but my game is gonna rule, btw, im some 13 year old kid with no programming experience"? Is it monday?

Synapse Jumps
              Yves said:

When is "Let's start a team guys, i have no design but my game is gonna rule, btw, im some 13 year old kid with no programming experience"? Is it monday?

I do believe you're correct... BTW, does your family have something against thirteen year olds?

CGamesPlay

Manuepillali* postulate: Every non-programmer who wishes to program must be 13.

Right?

• I know I didn't spell it right. Please don't kill me.

phate
              • ...When your convinced Yves really is Manjula

• ...When you believe that all Allegrolites aren't thieves (damn Greyer) >:(>:(

• ...when your demand that Allegro be ported to other systems (but your to lazy to do it yourself)

• ...when the last time you had some was... ???

• ...when your start a "Whats your desktop" thread

Synapse Jumps
              phate said:

...When you believe that all Allegrolites aren't thieves (damn Greyer)

So he did take your stuff!? And you can't get in contact with him!? I demand that his avatar be changed!
              EDIT:

phate said:

...when the last time you had some was... ???

Earlier today :) What was her name? Plamela Handerson... no one needed to know that...

23yrold3yrold
              Quote:

Manuepillali

M.

You know you've been on Allegro.cc too long when ... you know who's in the Top 50.

Kanzure
              • You reply to this thread.

• You have purchased every book by every member. (Spellcaster? Is yours out?)

• You believe that Matthew is Big Brother.

• You frequently visit Allegro.CC and post, even to the extent that your School Districts marks it banned.

• You no longer answer your own programming questions.

• You consider me your friend.

• Matthew knows you personally.

• You're making comments like this about Matthew.

• You make comments like this about Matthew, but still don't know who he is nor care who the fsck he is ;D (not me I'm dumb!)

kdevil
              • When you agonize over how your post count has slipped. I was #9! How could I have let that get away from me?!

Goodbytes
              Evert said:

Aren't those inclusive? Anyone in the top 10 has over 1000 posts (I guess, since I'm not in the top 10).

Not so:

my profile said:

Ranks #37 with 1,041 posts at an average of 0.87 posts per day. [graph]

:/

Quote:

You know all the regulars' real names

Aight people... The 1st Millenial Goodbytes Challenge: What is my Real Name? Does anyone know? I'm intrigued...

23yrold3yrold

Nicholas Davies or something ...

Goodbytes

Darn, ya got me, Chris "Little Chicago" Barry!

That's right, LC... I know all about your mafia years... (taps nose)

;D

23yrold3yrold

I know Zaphos' real name too ;) ... who knows that one?

Steve Terry

snicker What's my real name then ... I bet you'll never guess... go ahead and try.

kdevil

I'm guessing.....Rumplestiltskin.

DanTheKat

I know my real name...

23yrold3yrold

Prove it.

spellcaster
              Quote:

Every non-programmer who wishes to program must be 13.

Or have a "13" in his nick.

and
              <quote>when your demand that Allegro be ported to other systems (but your to lazy to do it yourself)<quote>
              Is more a sign that you haven't been here long enough..

but what about:
              ... if you've seen more than 2 "let's make the uber GUI" threads come and go
              ... which both ended with a single guys comment along the lines of "it's easy- I'll do it in a couple of weeks"
              ... and you actually wait for the results :)

Pradeepto Bhattacharya

:)

23 said:

know Zaphos' real name too ... who knows that one?

Me knows ... "James Lawder" . Oke where's my prize? I want it now ;D

Evert

Goodbytes: I didn't say that everyone with 1000+ posts is in the top 10, I said that everyone in the top 10 has over 1000 posts.
              My wording about being in the top 10 and having 1000+ posts being inclusive was meant to read `if you're in the top 10, you have 1000+ posts anyway, so no need to mention both'. I guess the wording could have been better though :)

• When you know the name of all girl/boy friends of Acc members

Damn. My forth post in this thread. I'm spending too much time here... ;D

Derezo
              Quote:

You frequently visit Allegro.CC and post, even to the extent that your School Districts marks it banned.

That happend to me. I complained. They changed it. I was the only student using it anyway... :P

• You've made a "Post #X!" thread more than once.

rockslave

- When you know how many nicks SPOON had

Steve Terry

Mah schpoon is too biyag;D;D;D

[edit]
              There is no spoon.
              [/edit]

;D

CGamesPlay

Arthur: Truly, you hav ebeen here too long.

Steve Terry
              • When you know everyone at #allegro :P

• When you spend more time on allegro.cc and #allegro than programming or watching TV

• When you hit refresh on your browser every minute to see if anyone replied to your last stupid post :P

• When you are late for work because you just can't resist making that final post. /me runs out door screaming "I'm late, I'm late!!...."

phate
              • You lived through Chris's Beard Avatars

• Your obsess over Bob

Derezo
              • You know how old bob is

• You've made images involving other members

• You've hand drawn images involving other members ;)

..we're repeating some of these.. ::)

Thomas Fjellstrom
              • People obsess over you

Derezo

That is so totally me and my dead sexy avatar. ;)

X-G

Quote:

You know how old bob is

No one knows how old Bob is. I don't even think he knows himself.

gnolam
              X-G

gnolam: If we assume that the list is canon, he could be born in:

Any year prior to 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1955, 1956, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1970, 1974, 1981, 1986, 1987, 1988, or any year after 1996. Some are of obviously wrong, but there are quite a number to guess from. :P

Derezo

My guess would go for 81 or 74.. but who knows, he could have also been cryptic.. maybe the thing that happend on the year he was born was just so unimportant it didn't even deserve acknowledgement! ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom

I'd say 81, last I heard he's older, but not much older than me...

X-G

I'd sooner guess 1974 than 1981.

Derezo
              • You begin guessing games with Bob's age

;)

I'd say 81 over 74..
              Bob's silly at times.. and most 30 year olds are not. ;)

I guess we'll never really know though, will we?

23yrold3yrold

1981. No question.

Matthew Leverton

1981, Of course, just like all good people.

Synapse Jumps
              The Secret Police ;) said:

1981, Of course, just like all good people.

Psh, we all know that he best year was 1988. I mean come on, how can you go wrong?

CGamesPlay

1988:

• March 8 - Two United States Army helicopters collide in Fort Campbell, Kentucky killing 17 servicemen.

• July 6 - The Piper Alpha drilling platform in the North Sea is destroyed by explosions and fires killing 167 oil workers.

• August 28 - A fire destroys part of Chiado quarter, in Lisbon's historical center.

• September 29 - NASA resumes space shuttle flights, grounded after the Challenger disaster

• November 2, The Morris worm is unleashed on the Internet

• November, George H. W. Bush defeats Michael S. Dukakis in the U.S. presidential election

• December 21, Pan Am flight 103 is blown up by terrorists over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing 270.

Whew. Not a good year, it seems. Let's see 1981:

• February 10 - A fire at the Las Vegas Hilton hotel-casino kills eight and injures 198.

• March 19 - Three workers are killed and five injured during a test of the Space Shuttle Columbia.

• March 30 - President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C., hotel by John Hinckley, Jr., family friend of the Vice President. Two police officers and James Brady are also wounded.

• July 17 - Hyatt Hotel disaster: Two skywalks filled with people at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Kansas City, Missouri collapse into a crowded atrium lobby killing 114.

• December 2 - Britney Spears born

Ouch. Bet Matthew didn't see that one coming!

[edit]
              kdevil (below): ;D

kdevil

Bah, everyone knows 1984 was the best year, because Big Brother says so.

Marcello

it's all about 1985 guys.

Marcello

Synapse Jumps
              • ...you start arguing that your birth-year is better than all the other member's

EDIT: TF: like a chair breaking?

Derezo

SJ: Oh yeah, this is that thread. I forgot. ;)

Marcello: I agree. The birth of console RPGs is definitely something to celebrate, and honor this spectacular year. ;D

Not to mention the birth of THE BEST GAME DEVELOPER EVER!

/me is obviously talking about himself, but will leave that open for some witty remark. ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom
              • When you post about some pointless event that has (just) happened in your life.

CGamesPlay

OOh, you evil dog, you.

</li>

Goodbytes
                Quote:

I didn't say that everyone with 1000+ posts is in the top 10, I said that everyone in the top 10 has over 1000 posts.

Ah. So you did... and quite clearly, too... hangs head in shame.

And, clearly, it's all about the eighties in general. Except for certain parts of '88. ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom

Hey, I was waiting for someone else to do it... Look how long I watied :op

:O all of 10 min ;) oh well. I've lost track of all time going between anime, email, irc etc...

Synapse Jumps
                • When you start describing your furniture... or when you can describe someone else's furniture...

wearetheborg
                SJ said:

I do believe you're correct... BTW, does your family have something against thirteen year olds?

Yeah.
                Do you?

23yrold3yrold

</li>

Synapse Jumps
                  wearetheborg said:

Yeah.
                  Do you?

No I only have a problem with... you :o. Just kiddin, I wouldn't want you to sick the Kitty on me ;)

EDIT:

• When you feel you need to have the last post in the two top threads of the Off-Topic Ordeals fourm

the_y_man

when you're actually following up this thread

DanTheKat
                  • When you copy the list of reasons, number them, then send them to Allegro's Funniest Homevideocards

• When you edit your post for a stupid reason such as forgetting </list> after making a list

Thomas Fjellstrom

Whos following up with this thread? WHO? WHO I ask? who?

Derezo

Uhm.. me? :)

</li>

phate

um... ah... ME!!! Muhahaha!!!! ;D;D;D

[edit]
                    Waaaarg!!! Derezo!!! >:(

Zaphos
                    Quote:

James Lawder

Actually, no, that's my pen name. Well, was my pen name until it confused the mailman and I gave up on it. It is currently the only name under which I've been published.
                    But nope. Guess again, if you please.

X-G

• You're in the top 5 posters list. ;D
                  • spellcaster

- You get more PMs than email
                    - You get mire PMs than snail-mail

Trezker
                    Quote:

- You get more PMs than email

Not counting spam I hope.
                    I think I'm guilty of both your points, and I don't get much PMs, about 20 total I think.

I'm ranking #43, and I think I've been around there for quite some time.

23yrold3yrold
                    Quote:

Actually, no, that's my pen name. Well, was my pen name until it confused the mailman and I gave up on it. It is currently the only name under which I've been published.
                    But nope. Guess again, if you please.

James Andrews.
                    PWN3D!!1

Johan Peitz
                    • ... when your post rank is lower than your average post count. ;)

MiquelFire
                    • When you play a game with the birthday wisher and not state your birthday anywhere

Oh wait... that's just me ;)

Derezo

;)</li>

Zaphos

23: Somehow I figured you'd know, heh. Out of curiousity, do you actually log all this stuff in some sort of master-creepy-stalker file, or just remember it?

Steve Terry

I'm going with creepy-stalker file myself... ;D

kdevil

Definitely the creepy-stalker file. If you flame him he'll sneak over to your house and format your hard drive. And take any Transformers-related items he sees.

Andrei Ellman
                      • When your Member # is a single digit.

23yrold3yrold
                      Quote:

Out of curiousity, do you actually log all this stuff in some sort of master-creepy-stalker file, or just remember it?

Memory. I do have your pictar archived, though ;) ...

Thomas Fjellstrom
                      • When you start one of these "You know * when" threads

23yrold3yrold

That's not going to be the new trend around here, is it? :P They haven't been very good so far :)

I'm going to make one as a post, just because I feel like showing this off 8-) You know you're a Nazi GameDev Moderator when ... someone makes a page devoted to your offenses (the mispelling in the url is a stupid running gag ::)). Note VOT's and my signatures :).

(and now you know what I do at that other site ;))

Billybob

hey, when will this thread max out?

23yrold3yrold

Matthew closes them after they get too long (150 - 200 range) ...

Andrei Ellman
                      • When you start posting comments about how long a thread has become.

Billybob

Well, let me speed up the destruction a bit by saying, I just burned Mandrake on to three CDs. I hope the downloads and burns went OK, heh heh. Didn't accually take that long to download, which was cool, maybe less than 1 1/2 hours. So yea...I'm cleaning up my old laptop, copying data, and will be installing mandrake on it soon. I hope it's OK with 32mb of ram and whatnot...and I hope Linux is as good as Linux Advocates say it is....yep....I'm bored, it's late and no one is posting anything good to respond to....maybe I should go play some BF1942...naw, too late. Oh, and don't forget to apply the bellow patch to your signatures! *I am still getting emails from Sven, arg >:( *

Rash
                      Quote:

Matthew closes them after they get too long (150 - 200 range) ...

I don't think he does that anymore now that threads aren't displayed in their entirety.
                      Case in point (223 posts).

the_y_man

when you have tansformer pr0n;)

23yrold3yrold

That's not me! :P Despite Matthew's post edit to the contrary ::)

(I'm pretty sure it exists; I just don't have any :))

X-G

Want me to find some for you? ;D

23yrold3yrold

Uh, no. :P ::)

Synapse Jumps
                      • When you start talking about transformer porn because you know that one of the members has it

23yrold3yrold
                        Quote:

I don't think he does that anymore now that threads aren't displayed in their entirety.

I think Matthew just didn't catch that one because it grew so fast :) Same reason the Religion thread hit 175 before Matthew even knew it existed ;D</li>

Synapse Jumps
                        Quote:

when you have multiple accounts due to a post cap/ban ...

I'm afraid I'm guilty of that... Multiple times...

X-G

23yrold3yrold: I found that transformers pr0n you wanted. Want me to post the URL here? ;D

23yrold3yrold
                        Quote:

23yrold3yrold: I found that transformers pr0n you wanted.

That I what?!?

Quote:

Want me to post the URL here? ;D

No. EDIT: So I get it in a PM ::) I hate real porn, much less cartoon porn ::) ...

the_y_man

ohh i bet 23 would like to get his hands on transformer pr0n and add it on to his collection;)

Marcello

out of curiosity, how many posts per page have you guys set your accounts to? I have 100 on mine (was max when I set it)... so few pages ever get multiple pages.

Marcello

23yrold3yrold

I set mine to 15 (minimum). Shorter load times, I figure :)

Yves: No picture of you, ever ;)

wearetheborg

23, where's mine?
                        You made Yves cry by the way.

23yrold3yrold
                        Quote:

23, where's mine?

Coloring. I am sure it would go much faster if I knew what in the world I was doing ;)

Thread #303178. Printed from Allegro.cc