Allegro in Windows
ggoose

Can anyone tell me which files I need and where I can get instructions to install the Windows version of Allegro? I am talking about the compiler, editor, and everything. I tried MING, but couldn't get it to work.
Also, will I have to make many changes to my RPG that I wrote with the DOS version of Allegro to compile in with the Windows version?
I mainly want to switch to the Windows version of Allegro because the DOS version won't play MIDI files on my new computer (WAV files work fine, though).

Goodbytes

Well, MinGW32 is pretty much the only option that you have for windows(barring MSVC, which costs a lot, and Dev-C++, which is usually harder to set up and is just MinGW32 anyway).

There shouldn't be any troubles setting up MinGW32 for Allegro as long as you have the latest WIP and you follow the instructions in readme.mgw to the word. What problems have you had with setting up MinGW32?

You shouldn't have to make any changes to your program whatsoever in switching from DOS to Windows, unless you use DOS-specific things like conio.h. Just add END_OF_MAIN(); after the closing brace on your main() function and it should compile across many platforms without a hitch.

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: goodbytes ]

ggoose

Okay, I installed everything just like the readme.mgw document says, but when I try to compile allegro, I get these messages...
C:\MINGW32\BIN\..\lib\gcc-lib\i386-mingw32msvc\2.95.2\..\..\..\..\i386-mingw32ms
vc\include\objidl.h:488: parse error before `HTASK'
C:\MINGW32\BIN\..\lib\gcc-lib\i386-mingw32msvc\2.95.2\..\..\..\..\i386-mingw32ms
vc\include\objidl.h:489: parse error before `HTASK'
vc\include\objidl.h:490: parse error before `HTASK'
vc\include\objidl.h:785: parse error before `PCVOID'
vc\include\objidl.h:1298: parse error before `HTASK'
vc\include\objidl.h:1300: parse error before `HTASK'
vc\include\objidl.h:1302: parse error before `HTASK'
In file included from .\include\allegro\aintwin.h:49,
from src/inline.c:27:
vc\include\ddraw.h:148: parse error before `HMONITOR'
vc\include\ddraw.h:149: parse error before `HMONITOR'
C:\MINGW32\BIN\MAKE.EXE: *** [obj/mingw32/alleg/inline.o] Error 1
What can I do?

23yrold3yrold

HAHAHAHA! I'm not alone! I get that error every time!

ggoose

I'm dumb! - Well, I'm glad I have someone to share my pain.

Bob

ggoose: Upgrade to the latest version of Mingw here: Mingw 1.01

ggoose

Okay, I erased everything I tried to install before and downloaded the file: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/mingw-1.0-20010608.tar.gz
Now, I did everything the readme.mgw document said word for word and this time, when I run make, I get this:
windres -O coff -o obj/mingw32/alleg/dibsound.res -i tests/win/dibsound.rc
windres: can't open font file `LONG32': No such file or directory
cpp.exe: stdout: Broken pipe
C:\MINGW32\BIN\MAKE.EXE: *** [obj/mingw32/alleg/dibsound.res] Error 1
What is this LONG32 file, and why wasn't it installed? Someone please help

ggoose

Did I download the right file? I DID go a lot further during compile, but still had errors (see above).

Bob

This is a strange error. I've never encountered it before. Perhaps you'd get more help by asking the mailing list.

ggoose

I'll try that. Which file or files did you download from www.mingw.org? I found their website very confusing.

23yrold3yrold

Yes, yes, what files? Type slowly so I'll understand ....

ggoose

OKAY!!! After using the mailing list at www.mingw.org, I have found the answer. 23yrold, try this:
1.)Download DEV C++ http://www.simtel.net/autodownload.php?mirror=127&product=17456
2.) Download the runtime library
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/runtime/bin-msvcrt-2000-03-27.zip
3.) Download the DirectX 7 SDK http://sunsite.auc.dk/allegro/wipdll/dx70_mgw.zip
4.) Now, unzip the DevC++ zip file into a temporary directory and then run the SETUP file. Have it install to a directory called 'c:\Dev-C++'. Now, Dev C++ is installed (with MingW32).
5.) Unzip the runtime library into a temporary directory. It will make a folder called 'i386-mingw32msvc'. In that 'i386-mingw32msvc' folder there will be three more folders, 'bin', 'lib', and 'include'.
Move all the files from the 'i386-mingw32msvc\bin' directory to the 'c:\Dev-C++\bin' directory, overwriting all other files.
Move all the files from the 'i386-mingw32msvc\lib' directory to the 'c:\Dev-C++\lib' directory, overwriting all other files.
Move all the files from the 'i386-mingw32msvc\include' directory to the 'c:\Dev-C++\include' directory, overwriting all other files.
6.) Next unzip the DirectX7 SDK file to 'C:\Dev-C++'
7.) Now you need to set the path like this:
path C:\Dev-C++\Bin;%PATH%
Test the installation in DOS, by typing: gcc -v
The answer should be similar to
Using builtin specs.
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
8.) Now unzip the Allegro WIP file (ie. all3937.zip) to a director such as 'c:\allegro'
In DOS, go to that 'c:\allegro' directory and type: fix.bat mingw32
9.) Now set the Mingdir like this:
set MINGDIR=c:\DEV-C_~1
10.) Now type: make
It should compile without errors
11.) Finally, type: make install
That's exactly what I did and it worked (finally!)

Goodbytes

Wow! You managed to do exactly what is says in readme.mgw! Way to go! ;)

23yrold3yrold
Quote:

You managed to do exactly what is says in readme.mgw!

Strange as it may sound, I'm trying that just now. First I tried it with the mingw files downloaded from the mingw page, then with Dev-C++. I have no clue what those files in the readme are for, but I downloaded most of them in the hopes they ACTUALLY work. Of course, that means I run off the DOS prompt instead of Dev-C++ (grrrrr).

Goodbytes

Now it's my turn to quote:
quote:
Of course, that means I run off the DOS prompt instead of Dev-C++ (grrrrr).

Check under the heading "Setting Up Dev-C++ To Build Allegro"
And by the way, when you said "Strange as it may sound, I'm trying that just now," you didn't mean that this is the first time that you're trying the readme.mgw instructions, did you? Because if that is the case, I'm afraid I might have to walk right up to you and slap you in the face.

ggoose

Yeah, I followed the readme.mgw before, but I was only using MingW32...Trust me, it doesn't work. But Dev C++ does work, and that's what I am using now. If only I had known then what I know now.

superstar4410

I use dev c++
get it from bloodshed.net

they have the dev c++ download
and the allegro download that goes with
it.

only thing is that it freezes up somethings

besides that its good( () )

23yrold3yrold

quote:you didn't mean that this is the first time that you're trying the readme.mgw instructions, did you? Because if that is the case, I'm afraid I might have to walk right up to you and slap you in the face.Well I know 3D and you don't so there I read the readme before, but not the part about installing MinGW, just Allegro. That readme is semi-confusing: quote: 1) The MingW32 compiler, documentation and utilities from
http://www.mingw.org
At the time of this writing (Aug. 2000) gcc-2.95.2 is out and one
should get gcc-2.95.2-msvcrt.exe and mingw32-docs-html.exe.
Direct links to these files are:
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/
gcc-2.95.2-msvcrt.exe

ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/
mingw32-docs-html.exe

2) Get the latest mingw32 runtime.
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/runtime/
At time of writing this is:
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/runtime/
bin-msvcrt-2000-03-27.zip

3) Get the DirectX 7 libraries for mingw32. Download them from
http://sites.netscape.net/ptrpck/directx.htm
Direct link is:
http://sites.netscape.net/ptrpck/dxlibs.zip

4) Get the DirectX 7 header files from Microsoft. You can find a minimal
DirectX 7 SDK on the Allegro webpage.
http://sunsite.auc.dk/allegro/wipdll/dx70_min.zip
Now, I think I have the right DX7 headers and libs from one fella on the mailing list. I downloaded the bare minimum from MinGW's site (binutil, gcc, ld, libbf, mingw-runtime and winapi) and tried with that. Then I tried with Dev-C++. Now I'll try with gcc-2.95.2-msvcrt.exe, whatever it does, and see about that. Point 1) up there is a little unspecific about whether I need that, or that and the 6 files I downloaded before. Too much crap, too much crap ....

ggoose

Here are the only files you need:
devcpp_4.zip
bin-msvcrt-2000-03-27.zip
wipdll/dx70_mgw.zip
all3937.zip
The first file listed has everything you need for Dev C++. Just click the links up about to get them.
Don't go to the MingW site. People from the MingW mailing list told me that some of the include (.h) files there have bugs in them.

23yrold3yrold

I already have all files but that second one (which I'm now downloading). I'm going to have to compare this to my notes and the readme.mgw. Right now I'm getting my DC ready for programming, so I can't work on this, but I'm just collecting files and information. It will work. Eventually. Maybe. Hopefully.

Richard RPG Concept

i found MVSC++ standard version was only cost me 99(actually round up to $100 bucks because of tax.. eer..) So, that standard version is low than other version like professional version.

I got standard version a years ago.

Thread #162676. Printed from Allegro.cc