Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Open folders with special characters (ñ, ...)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Open folders with special characters (ñ, ...)
alex glez
Member #16,757
October 2017

Some time ago I asked in this forum if it was possible to open folders with non-ascii characters (0-127) but they told me it was not possible.
I have a program where you choose the folder and load the images to process them but I can only do it if their characters are ascii,
so there is no unicode support. Do you know if this has been solved?

I use visual studio, windows 11 and allegro 5.2

I made the query on 06/12/2018

Thank you

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Allegro is a skeleton crew right now so that's a very low priority for a normally games focused library.

What do you mean by "open a folder", you need the list of files? Or do you mean popping up a windows dialog box?

This looks applicable:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12034943/win32-select-directory-dialog-from-c-c

There should be plenty of non-Allegro related questions/answers on this topic on StackOverflow since it's a more general problem.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

When's the last time you tried this? Since about 2019-2020, Allegro got pretty-complete unicode support on Windows. I just tried it with the native file chooser, and it seemed to work.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

alex glez
Member #16,757
October 2017

Hello everyone and thanks for the responses. My program makes the user open a folder with photos and then adds a layer to it, that is, a photomontage, but the user can have the folder with a non-ascii name and there is the problem.
The last time I tried it was in 2018, I will try again and if it doesn't work for me I will look at the win32 functions and the stackoveflow link.
Thank you very much everyone for the responses. I've been using the program for years and it works perfectly, with it I make about 800 photomontages a day at work, but I wanted to fix this problem.

All the best

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: