Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Al_update_display_region questions

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Al_update_display_region questions
Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I was looking though the manual and found al_update_display_region. It looks like you can draw an image to the display and later add a smaller image. does anyone have a simple example using it? Also, the manual suggests using al_get_display_option to confirm your video card will support al_update_display_region. Can someone show code using it as well? Thanks.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

ex_font is using al_update_display_region it seems. I believe nowadays it is always a synonym to al_flip_display though as OpenGL and DirectX work by just flipping the entire backbuffer. This function is a remnant of old-style windowing systems that could "optimize" display updating by redrawing just a portion of the screen.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

al_update_display_region is used mainly for events like ALLEGRO_EVENT_DISPLAY_EXPOSE, which only shows the update in a fragment of the window, occurs when a portion of the window is shown again after being hidden with the border of another window or the border of the screen.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Probably you know this Bob but in the current docs, API functions list the examples that use them, if there are any. e.g.
https://liballeg.org/a5docs/trunk/display.html#al_update_display_region

Go to: