Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Website revamp?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Website revamp?
dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

Recently I've been thinking that the site could do with a makeover. This isn't because I have a problem with its beautiful turn-of-the-millennium stylings, but more because there's quite a lot of redundant / out-of-date info on there now ;)

So, I've come up with a pretty barebones prototype, and would like you, The Faithful, to give it some feedback.

It is purposefully simple and barely any of the pages are done yet, but should be enough to give you an idea:

https://liballeg.netlify.com/

Despite the lack of content thus far, I've tried to make the effort to make it more 2020*.

• It uses a modern static site generator.

• Content is still defined in plaintext (but is written in Markdown).

• There's a favicon.

• Everything Allegro 4-related is shoved into a 'Legacy' section (yet to be completed).

• It's Mobile Responsive™©!

So yeah, let me know what you think. I'll get the sauce onto GitHub at some point soon so you can have a look.

* flat design and socially distanced.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I'm going to need a dark theme, that's a lot of white for my eyes.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I like the style. The current CSS is here - most of yours could probably be done simply by updating that file: https://github.com/liballeg/liballeg.github.io/blob/master/web_style.css

What is the site generator you used? We currently use [1] for both website and documentation.

Any changes to the favicon or reordering of sections should be a simple pull request away!

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Lot of whitespace going on..... on widescreen aspect anyway.

On the current site, I like the sidebar menu being a different color, and I like the layout. Don't know if this really improves enough to warrant a change. :/

But I salute you for putting in the work. Maybe some of your changes can be merged?

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

Ha, dark mode could certainly be achieved. Very 2020.

I'm afraid the rest of what I'm going to say is horrendously millennial.

The generator is VuePress. Styling is done with Sass, and is scoped per component.

We could definitely apply new CSS/markup to the current site; I'm wondering whether as part of a wider content restructuring, it'd be worth utilising a web component-based generator too, rather than the static includes used in our Pandoc site.

Edit: Just seen Edgar's post. As per the above, said merge might be complex. As for whitespace, I refer the current site, which has lots of it. ;)

{"name":"612399","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/a\/3a0af24feadbaa5011e8adce770569e8.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/a\/3a0af24feadbaa5011e8adce770569e8"}612399

Edit 2: Source is up.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I'm not against revamps per se. My primary concern is maintainability. Right now, we just use Pandoc and that's going to be around forever. My impression of web development, not being a web developer myself but just sitting on the sidelines, is that there's a new technology every few months. If we switch to a new generator, can we be assured that it'll be around for 10 more years? Pandoc has been around for 14 years, and it's still going pretty strong as far as I can tell.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

That is an important point, and though I'm satisfied that Vue has become a very stable framework now, I'd not considered that people probably wouldn't want to learn it.

In any case, having Sass on the site would be useful (and that's been around for ages). Might see if I can get that working with Pandoc.

Go to: