Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » OSX dylib redistribution issues

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
OSX dylib redistribution issues
thebignic
Member #14,419
July 2012

EDIT: This should probably be moved out of the Allegro Development section...

Running into a roadblock when running my OSX app on another machine:

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: @loader_path/liballegro_audio.5.2.dylib
  Referenced from: /path-to-executable.app/Contents/Frameworks/liballegro_acodec.5.2.5.dylib
  Reason: image not found

EDIT:
this seems to be a general issue with dylibs referencing other dylibs - ie: freetype.6.dylib references /usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/libpng16.16.dylib which isn't guaranteed to exist on a user machine and updating freetype with install_name_tool seems to destroy the code signing on the library.

I don't currently have an Apple Developer License so I can't re-codesign the freetype library after altering it and I'm a bit reticent to go through the hoops to get a dev license again (and pay the 99 bucks?!) just to try it.

I don't mind having to rebuild the allegro libs but seems like getting the dependencies listed correctly is going to be a major headache...

Has anyone successfully deployed an Allegro app for OSX lately? How are you bundling dylibs? is install_name_tool going to work for me if I get a dev license to codesign the changes after I fix the paths in all libs? (freetype, etc)

EDIT: For anyone else new to OSX, hold on to your butts - .dylibs are a nightmare. You will need an Apple Developer License with a Code Signing Identity setup.
Consider the following for EACH dylib that you link against:

1) move your dylibs somewhere into your Documents folder (so you can read/write to them without too much hassle)

2) examine them with otool to find their install name and dependencies: (install name is listed first, dependencies after)

otool -L liballegro_color.5.2.5.dylib

3) remove code signing on each dylib:

codesign --remove-signature liballegro_color.5.2.5.dylib

4) update dependencies inside the dylib to point to their new location in Frameworks:

install_name_tool -change /Users/bignic/allegro/build/lib/RelWithDebInfo/liballegro.5.2.dylib @executable_path/../Frameworks/liballegro.5.2.5.dylib liballegro_color.5.2.5.dylib

5) change the install path for the dylib itself:

install_name_tool -id @executable_path/../Frameworks/liballegro_color.5.2.5.dylib liballegro_color.5.2.5.dylib

6) re-codesign the library:

codesign -s "[YOUR APPLE DEVELOPER CODE SIGNING IDENTITY" -v liballegro_color.5.2.5.dylib

7) optional: verify the codesign worked:

codesign --verbose=4 --verify liballegro_color.5.2.5.dylib

8) create a run script in XCode to update your EXECUTABLE to point to the new location of the dylib also:

install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/allegro/lib/liballegro_color.5.2.dylib @executable_path/../Frameworks/liballegro_color.5.2.5.dylib "$BUILT_PRODUCTS_DIR/$EXECUTABLE_PATH"

9) make sure the .dylib is copied to Contents/Frameworks directory within your .app package.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

There's a tutorial about how to deal with dylibs (and bundles): https://github.com/liballeg/allegro_wiki/wiki/Creating-macOS-bundles#bundling-the-dylibs

It doesn't cover codesigning (what is that for?).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Go to: