Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » 2 questions about antialiasing

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
2 questions about antialiasing
Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Guys, I've got 2 questions about antialiasing alias multisampling in Allegro 5:

1) I got a quite decent video card. However, if I suggest to use 8 ALLEGRO_SAMPLES after initializing the display I get only 3. In 3D games my card supports up to 8x or even 16x antialiasing. Why is this?

2) Is there a way to use antialiasing on rotated sprites e.g. a smiley bitmap or do I have to use drawing primitives instead of a sprite?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Hey Frank,

I don't know much, but I think multi-sampling only applies to primitives. I don't know why you're getting back 3 for the number of samples. Try taking a look a allegro.log in the scoring section for the display. It lists each mode it tries and rejects.

You could try ALLEGRO_REQUIRE but that will fail if it can't match exactly.

As for drawing your sprites, you can filter it with ALLEGRO_MAG_LINEAR or ALLEGRO_MIN_LINEAR. ALLEGRO_MIN_LINEAR definitely looks better when reducing an image. Enlarging with ALLEGRO_MAG_LINEAR doesn't help much though, just makes it look blurry.

That's about all I know about multisampling and antialiasing with allegro. SiegeLord might know more.

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Thanks Edgar!

I'll try looking at allegro.log to find out more...

I miss the old times when you had about 5 comments to your question instantly ... :-/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: