Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Telescope recommendations

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Telescope recommendations
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Wife and I have been talking about getting a telescope forever. We now live a bit outside of town and have a better view of the stars. And with Christmas around the corner, now seems like the perfect time.

I have a budget of $100-150. Any recommendations?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I've only ever used a somewhat crappy 60mm refactor, and an 20cm reflector I built myself. The 60mm refactors are super cheap, and I definitely could easily see details in the various planets and the moon. Everything else wasn't that impressive, I think due to aperture issues. My self-built telescope suffered from mounting issues which prevented it from fully utilizing its aperture advantage.

One definite thing I'd recommend is to get an equatorial mount rather than a azimuthal one. Planets in particular move very fast across the sky, giving you only seconds to observe before you need to adjust your telescope... a bit of a pain if there are people you want to show something off to! Equatorial mount will at least let you adjust a single axis instead of two which makes a world of difference.

I wouldn't bother with anything computerized (it'll be out of your price range anyway), and spend your money on the mount + aperture instead. It's not that hard to do things manually (including collimation, which I had to do a lot with my home-built one).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

ever considered to build one yourself ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonian_telescope

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Ariesnl said:

ever considered to build one yourself ?

If the goal is to look at stars, just buy one. They're easily made by manufacturers and will have way better tolerances than you will have. Most importantly: They're guaranteed to work out of the box. They'll likely cost less too.

If you want to learn about telescopes, try designing them, etc; sure, go make one.

But I've lost SO MANY hours and dollars over my life doing the "I could just build it!" method when I should have just bought something.

So many solder kits that needed days to diagnose what was wrong...

so many...

so... many... :o

{"name":"uJfwO.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/1\/518fbf76ff0c38b7524c6d2181851c74.gif","w":325,"h":315,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/1\/518fbf76ff0c38b7524c6d2181851c74"}uJfwO.gif

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

But I've lost SO MANY hours and dollars over my life doing the "I could just build it!" method

I know what you mean, man. (From a programming perspective).

My game looks like something someone could scrap together in a week using Unity/Unreal. But it's taken me six months... So much time wasted through the years developing my own tools, writing my own games using low-level libraries, and so on.

But I bet we learned a lot more as a result and are better for it. ;D

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Learning is good! But make sure it's learning something you care about! Programming pays dividends. Random telescope project? Probably will end up as clutter on your desk for a year or two...

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Agreed, Chris. I'm looking to buy (hence the budget) and avoid the time spent building (which I imagine is worth way more than the budget I have).

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Go to: