Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Duck Duck Go?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Duck Duck Go?
superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

DuckDuckGo: The search engine that doesn't track you.

Just learned about this today.

Anyone use this? https://duckduckgo.com/

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

...just today?!

I don't know. It's like, we're told they don't track you. But do we have any proof? And how do they make their money?

Also their results kinda suck. They've gotten way better, but it's still worlds away from Google.

[edit] Also, WELCOME BACK. Long time no see!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Pretty much, yes, they claim not to track you. Which is great. But it also raises the question of how they stay funded. I occasionally use them, but not often. Their results are usually pretty poor. And that means that while they don't track you, they also don't find what you're looking for a lot of the time, and if finding what you're looking for matters then it's not really a practical compromise. Even Google has gotten poor in the last decade I find, but part of that is due to its ads and preferring paid results over correct results. Still ddg cannot really compete in terms of accuracy. But by all means, the more people use it, theoretically the better it will become. So if the results are adequate use it. One of the biggest problems we have is Google being such a virtual monopoly of "free" Internet services. This makes them way too powerful, and we've already seen them abusing this power time and again. So certainly it's worthwhile to give the competition a chance. Bing has actually gotten better too since it's initial launch, and is worth using for some things too (but of course, Bing tracks you just as Google does).

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

There's a self-hosted anonymous search called searx: https://github.com/asciimoo/searx

You can route it through Tor so it's truly anonymous.

I used to use it but got tired of Tor being extremely slow randomly (like, it's usually slow, but it can glacial slow), so I just use Google.

If I need to anonymize my results I just use Google over Tor. But I rarely need that.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I've been using DuckDuckGo for a few years now, and I haven't had any problems finding what I'm looking for. Compared to Google, its search results were lacking a couple of years ago, but they've really improved since then. I highly recommend DuckDuckGo.

And how do they make their money?

They show ads based on the keywords you search, but claim to not track you or build an ad profile on you.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

yes i use it but it wont stop google google is too powerful UI levels

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

very much so. nothing anybody can do anything at this point.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I switched from DDG to StartPage.com a year or two ago because I frequently found myself going back to Google because DDG's search results were incomplete. But maybe I'll check it out again sometime.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Duck.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Duck!
{"name":"MallardDuck3.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/5\/75a89e14b76dbd9f7c03efd8110304a1.jpg","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/5\/75a89e14b76dbd9f7c03efd8110304a1"}MallardDuck3.jpg

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"goose-attack.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/d\/5d0003b123c6da3193ce4ea061876056.jpg","w":1500,"h":1071,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/d\/5d0003b123c6da3193ce4ea061876056"}goose-attack.jpg

Goose!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Oh SHIT. That makes me the goose. :O

My punishment.

OHWA TAGOO SIAM!
OHWA TAGOO SIAM!
OHWA TAGOO SIAM!
OHWA TAGOO SIAM!
OHWA TAGOO SIAM!
OHWA TAGOO SIAM!
OHWA TAGOO SIAM!
OHWA TAGOO SIAM!
OHWA TAGOO SIAM!
OHWA TAGOO SIAM!

Dare you to say duck. >:(

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Yeah I use DuckDuckGo. Most of the time it's fine. In case I don't immediately find what I'm looking for, I just quickly re-run the same search with g! to see Google's results.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I'm a DDG user in more or less the same boat as amarillion. If DDG results seem irrelevant in comparison to Google's, it's usually because your history of browsing/shopping/communicating isn't being leveraged in order to “personalize” them. :P

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I've used DDG for a few days now, so far it seems to be better than when I stopped using it a year or two ago. And it's got some nice features that Goolag doesnt 8-)

Go to: