Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » PS4 / Xbox One / Switch

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
PS4 / Xbox One / Switch
dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

I'm absolutely certain this has been discussed before. However, either the a.cc search tools are crap, or I'm blind. Here's the last mention I can find.

AFAIK all three consoles use either OpenGL or Direct3D. PS4 and Switch use BSD derivatives, and while I would imagine the X server is nowhere to be seen, I would've thought that acquiring a display would be simple. Meanwhile, Xbox One simply uses a Windows 10-based OS.

So, how much work would be needed to port Allegro 5 - or a game I've already written with Allegro 5 - to the Big Three consoles at the moment?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I've been steadily trolling frequenting the forums for several years now, and I don't believe there has been any mention of porting to consoles in quite some time.

The basics, you would have to write a system driver. For *NIX type system, you could rely on much of the existing linux driver. For the XBONE port, you would need to rewrite the OS specific portion of it for window creation, not too hard, and probably have to port the DX9 portion of it to DX11 or DX12.

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

You would also have to factor in the fact that they all three are closed systems. Any help you might get here or other forums might be impossible because of the NDAs people have to sign to access them.

You could try applying for a developer license, maybe for the Xbox since it's the easiest this generation...

They would probably force you to write a UWP driver for Allegro but that might be the only way there, who knows.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Well, it is generally allowed to reverse engineer for interoperability, but it isn't easy to do. There are a few ports of SDL to certain consoles that you could borrow info from.

https://github.com/nop90/SDL-3DS

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

IIRC there were non official* Allegro 4 ports for some consoles. They're old (for previous generations) but may be they're a good start point. Actually some of these consoles (and older ones) still have pretty active communities.

* By non official I mean not made by Allegro developers but by users as forks/add-ons of the official Allegro 4 library.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Go to: