Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Does allegro 5 (still) suffer from this problem (too)?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does allegro 5 (still) suffer from this problem (too)?
Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

I can get a Dual core AMD 4600+
And I want to use Linux

but with AMD there is a small problem with timing is some games and game libs/ engines

AMD site said:

The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

This driver is for Windows XP only.

I think I remember having to install this driver to make things work with allegro
in my very old Windows Xp computer ( rests in pieces ;) )
But will this also be a problem when using linux ? and is this still a problem ?

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Your quoted section says that applies only to Windows XP... so Linux should be fine. And I've never heard anyone list that problem. I've been using AMD cpus for over a decade.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

@ Chris KatKo that could be the case, but before making the switch I wanted to know if I could run into this problem.
( since there is no patch for Linux, but maybe because it is not needed in the first place)

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Go to: