Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Docker

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Docker
dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

Here's a hipster piece of kit that my work colleagues frequently take the piss out of me for using. There's a good chance you've already heard of it.

Compared to Vagrant, I find it far more useful for spinning up consistent, disposable development environments - even for building things with Allegro - mainly because I don't need to figure out which dependencies to install when checking out my code afresh. I don't yet use it in production (for web-based stuff), though would like to.

Here's an example 'Dockerfile' that produces a container for building dynamically-linked programs with Allegro for Ubuntu:

FROM ubuntu:18.04

RUN apt-get update -y

RUN apt-get install -y gcc liballegro5.2 liballegro-acodec5.2 liballegro-audio5.2 liballegro-dialog5.2 liballegro-image5.2 liballegro-physfs5.2 liballegro-ttf5.2 liballegro-video5.2 liballegro5-dev liballegro-acodec5-dev liballegro-audio5-dev liballegro-dialog5-dev liballegro-image5-dev liballegro-physfs5-dev liballegro-ttf5-dev liballegro-video5-dev

RUN apt-get autoremove && apt-get clean

Anyone else using it?

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Sure, check out my collection of specialized docker images for allegro, built from source: https://hub.docker.com/u/amarillion/

I'm a big fan

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

Awesome :)

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Docker, Flatpak, Snapcraft, what's better?,

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

I dunno whether Snapcraft is useful in development. Much more useful for distribution of Linux games than Docker though :P

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I, for one, am glad that these container technologies are gaining momentum. Recently GIMP started distributing binaries for Linux as a Flatpak container. In the past, on Debian at least, you had no choice but to stick to the years-old version in the stable repository or build your own binaries.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Or you know, Windows could get their !@$!@ together and add a package manager. ::)

But considering how long it took to get RESIZABLE SHELL WINDOWS and virtual desktops, I won't hold my breathe.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It's called the Windows store. :P

You mean, the Devil? :P

Quote:

Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney criticized UWP for being a walled garden, since by default, UWP software may only be installed via Windows Store, requiring changes in system settings to enable the installation of external software (similarly to Android). Additionally, certain operating system features are exclusive to UWP and cannot be used in non-UWP software such as most video games. Sweeney characterized these moves as "the most aggressive move Microsoft has ever made" in attempting to transform PCs into a closed platform, and felt that these moves were meant to put third-party storefronts such as Steam at a disadvantage as Microsoft is "curtailing users' freedom to install full-featured PC software and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers". As such, Sweeney argued that end-users should be able to download UWP software and install it in the same manner as non-UWP software.[18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Windows_Platform

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

Guess Windows does have NuGet/Chocolatey? Don't see that the latter gets much use though.

Go to: