Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » OpenGL and DirectX differences...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
OpenGL and DirectX differences...
APrince
Member #12,698
March 2011

Hello guys,
I would like to continue with this thread:
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/617479

I have filed the bug for DirectX and also tried the OpenGL renderer to see if it can fix the flickering problems...

Well, sort of. It doesn't flicker and the multisampling works even in the cases where it does not with DX renderer (i.e. mostly laptop Intel graphics).

However, the whole scene is sort of zoomed in (i.e. does not fit within the window whereas the DX version fit exactly - I use normal 2D rendering in window coordinates), the fonts look strange and the multisapling quality is very strange. The lines are antialliased, but sometimes there is sort of a jump that just doesn't fit in with the rest of the smooth lines. Also the mouse coordinates do not match the rendering space (probably the same reason as the content going out of the window). All and all it's far worse than the flickering of the DX version or not having AA at all.

Is there a reason why both renders look so different, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

APrince
Member #12,698
March 2011

//edit:

I put it all in here under the GitHUB issue, look at number 3, or read it whole...

https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/issues/922

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

APrince
Member #12,698
March 2011

Not sure what you mean by that, but if you mean moving all the addons initializations before creating the display - tried that, doesn't help.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

APrince
Member #12,698
March 2011

Thanks, much obliged...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

See my comment on the github issue.

I tested this on my lappie and I didn't have any problems. The only thing wrong was that multisampling was unavailable on the Intel HD 5600 and fullscreen DirectX. No flicker. The other combinatations, NVIDIA and OpenGL and everything else worked just fine on either GPU.

APrince
Member #12,698
March 2011

I have tried that... But it doesn't help. Plus this issue was there for me forever. I have never seen it working properly on any Intel GPU. As for nVidia GPUs... I remember it didn't flicker on some older GeForce probably 8800 GTS. Bus since then I have problems with the flickering on all the nVidia GPUs I had since then (GTX260, GTX460, GTX660, GTX960, GTX1060).

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: