Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Multiple definition of '_Unwind_Resume' - version mismatch?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Multiple definition of '_Unwind_Resume' - version mismatch?
Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

So I compiled my program using

g++ test.cpp -o test -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -lallegro_monolith

and I get the following output:

C:/MinGW-w64/x86_64-7.2.0-posix-seh-rt_v5-rev1/mingw64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/7.2.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-seh.o): In function `_Unwind_Resume':
C:\mingw720\x86_64-720-posix-seh-rt_v5-rev1\build\gcc-7.2.0\x86_64-w64-mingw32\libgcc/../../../../../src/gcc-7.2.0/libgcc/unwind-seh.c:347: multiple definition of `_Unwind_Resume'
C:/MinGW-w64/x86_64-7.2.0-posix-seh-rt_v5-rev1/mingw64/lib/../lib/liballegro_monolith.dll.a(d000594.o):(.text+0x0): first defined here

I did find several threads about that being a common problem caused by a mismatch between the Allegro binary and the MinGW compiler version. However, I cannot spot the difference in this case both showing up as 'MinGW 7.2.0/x86_64-720-posix-seh-rt_v5-rev1'. What am I missing ::) ?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Unfortunately this did't change the output...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

OK, but what is the difference in compilers between this

{"name":"611620","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b7cf1e27e91fb4714f1bdd150d2bf4e0.png","w":899,"h":475,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b7cf1e27e91fb4714f1bdd150d2bf4e0"}611620

and this

{"name":"611621","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/6\/8614a86fb770d2b7c428910b2b667662.png","w":530,"h":390,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/6\/8614a86fb770d2b7c428910b2b667662"}611621
?

Or should I use build revision 0 instead of revision 1 (event though the compiler output says 'x86_64-720-posix-seh-rt_v5-rev1')?

Who compiled the binary package and can tell? SiegeLord?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

There's 2 things here.

First, somehow the Allegro static runtime binaries for 5.2.4 don't actually have the runtime correctly statically linked. I am not sure how that happened.

Second, even testing with the 5.2.3 binaries (which are correctly set up), I still get the same error you're describing. Honestly, it's not obvious to me how this is supposed to work... if you're linking the runtime to the DLL and the exe, surely you're guaranteed to get duplicate definitions. How would it be possible for it to work otherwise?

It sounds like the only usecase for the static runtime DLLs is for them to be used in C programs...

Either way, for you I think you just need to either not worry about static linking the runtime, or link to static Allegro.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Thanks guys ;D

This means until I upgrade to MinGW 8.1 and can use ER's binaries I could either do

g++ test.cpp -o test -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -lallegro_monolith-static (with the static build of Allegro)

or

g++ test.cpp -o test -lallegro_monolith (in this case I'll need to include libgcc_s_seh-1.dll, libstdc++-6.dll, libwinpthread-1.dll and allegro_monolith.dll along with the binary)

BTW: I tried Allegro 5.2.2.0 with MinGW 7.2.0 and this seems to work as well...

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

My binaries don't suffer the same problem.

I am skeptical. Can you try compiling and linking this code using Frank's command above?

#include <allegro5/allegro.h>
#include <stdexcept>

int main()
{
  try
  {
    al_init();
  }
  catch(const std::exception& e)
  {

}
}

BTW: I tried Allegro 5.2.2.0 with MinGW 7.2.0 and this seems to work as well...

Your original command worked with these binaries?

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

SiegeLord said:

Your original command worked with these binaries?

Yes, it worked with the original command and Allegro 5.2.2.0. Maybe it works if the compiler version is higher than the compiler that was used to build Allegro ???

Actually I am wondering why I am the first one to observe this cause I find a lot of threads on the forums that tell people to use the original command to be able to share their programs with others...

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

How strange... I tried your original command with my copy of 5.2.2 binaries and it gave me the same error. Where did you get your copy?

Actually I am wondering why I am the first one to observe this cause I find a lot of threads on the forums that tell people to use the original command to be able to share their programs with others...

It sort of works if your binary doesn't use exceptions.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

SiegeLord said:

I am skeptical. Can you try compiling and linking this code using Frank's command above?

It works fine. Both debug and release dynamic and static versions all link fine. static versions link to the static CRT.

My compiler version is the 32 bit posix dwarf version if that matters.

e:\LIBS\LIBS81Distro\Allegro524_mingw-w64-gcc81_posix_dwarf\bin\examples>set A5INCDIR="e:\LIBS\LIBS81Distro\Allegro524_mingw-w64-gcc81_posix_dwarf\include"

e:\LIBS\LIBS81Distro\Allegro524_mingw-w64-gcc81_posix_dwarf\bin\examples>set A5LNKDIR="e:\LIBS\LIBS81Distro\Allegro524_mingw-w64-gcc81_posix_dwarf\lib"

e:\LIBS\LIBS81Distro\Allegro524_mingw-w64-gcc81_posix_dwarf\bin\examples>set A5STATICLIBS= -static -ldumb -lFLAC -ltheora -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -logg -lfreetype -lpng16 -lzlibstatic -ldsound -lgdiplus -luuid -lkernel32 -lwinmm -lpsapi -lopengl32 -lglu32 -luser32 -lcomdlg32 -lgdi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -ladvapi32 -lws2_32 -lshlwapi -static-libstdc++ -static-libgcc

e:\LIBS\LIBS81Distro\MultiSample>g++ -Wall -g -o test.exe -I %A5INCDIR% test.cpp -L %A5LNKDIR% -lallegro_monolith-debug-static %A5STATICLIBS%

e:\LIBS\LIBS81Distro\MultiSample>test.exe

e:\LIBS\LIBS81Distro\MultiSample>

It works even if I link the the dynamic allegro dll and the static CRT.

e:\LIBS\LIBS81Distro\MultiSample>g++ -Wall -O2 -o test.exe -I %A5INCDIR% test.cpp -L %A5LNKDIR% -lallegro_monolith.dll -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

SiegeLord said:

Where did you get your copy?

I took "allegro-mingw-gcc6.2.0-x86-dynamic-5.2.2.zip" from https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/releases ...

Quote:

It sort of works if your binary doesn't use exceptions.

I am not aware that I use exceptions in my code (unless Allegro's function that I use do so...)

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I took "allegro-mingw-gcc6.2.0-x86-dynamic-5.2.2.zip" from https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/releases ...

Yeah, so that worked because it wasn't actually a statically linked dll (see the 'dynamic' in the filename).

It works even if I link the the dynamic allegro dll and the static CRT.

Now this is astonishing to me, I wonder how this could possibly work. I wonder if this has to do with 32 vs 64 bit exception handling. It's pretty clear that when statically linking the runtime, a part of it will be linked to the Allegro DLL. Then, the linker has to somehow drop the duplicate parts of it from the exe. The only mechanism I know of for this is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_symbol, which is Linux only?

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

Sorry I am not an expert in this, but why does "allegro-mingw-gcc6.2.0-x86-dynamic-5.2.2.zip" work whereas "allegro-x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-7.2.0-posix-seh-dynamic-5.2.4.1.zip" that I used in the first place doesn't?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

It's a mystery :). My running hypothesis is that the way official DLLs are compiled is somehow broken in 5.2.4 and maybe 5.2.3. I might play around with the settings soon to see if I can figure it out.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

OK, let me know if you figured it out...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

When building Allegro, the CRT should not be linked.

But that's exactly what the 'static' binaries do. If you don't statically link the runtime, then the user will need to bundle it with their game, because the DLLs will require it. The goal of this exercise is to get an exe + Allegro DLL that do not have a runtime DLL next to them.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Which means you are forbidden from linking the CRT. That's what a static library is, a collection of unlinked symbols.

EDIT
SiegeLord, while you're here, where is allegro.log on iOS / OSX?

EDIT2
To elaborate, if you link the Allegro DLL to the dynamic CRT or the static CRT, you are locking your user into using the same one.

Go to: