Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » CMake and Allegro 5

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
CMake and Allegro 5
Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

I'm currently trying to understand CMake and start to use it as my new build system (OK build system generator). I decided to use Allegro as an example of a library to be included in it.

I ended up writing a FindAllegro.cmake file flexible enough that it can find Allegro 5 and all current and future Add-ons, as long as the same naming conventions introduced with the 5.2 version still exist.

It is still somewhat unfinished as I think it might say everything was found but still fail compilation or will not honor QUIET nor OPTIONAL_COMPONENTS due to some missing logic. But if everything is in its place in your Linux system then it will work. It will find Library names, linker flags and any CFGLAG Allegro might need for you.

Here it is in case anyone would like to use it (tested on Mingw-w64 and a Raspberry Pi):

#SelectExpand
1# FindAllegro 2# ----------- 3# Copyright (c) 2018 Rodolfo Lam. All Rights Reserved. 4# 5# Finds the Allegro 5 Library... or at least tries. 6# 7# This will define the following variables:: 8# 9# Allegro_FOUND - True if the system has the Allegro library 10# Allegro_VERSION - The version of the Allegro library which was found 11# 12# and the following imported targets:: 13# 14# Allegro::Allegro - The Allegro 5 library 15# Allegro::<c> - The requested Allegro Add-on 16 17find_package(PkgConfig REQUIRED) 18pkg_search_module(PC_Allegro QUIET allegro-5) 19 20set(Allegro_FOUND ${PC_Allegro_FOUND}) 21 22find_path(Allegro_INCLUDE_DIR 23 NAMES allegro5.h allegro.h 24 PATHS ${PC_Allegro_INCLUDE_DIRS} 25 PATH_SUFFIXES allegro5 26) 27find_library(Allegro_LIBRARY 28 NAMES allegro 29 PATH ${PC_Allegro_LIBRARY_DIRS} 30) 31set(Allegro_VERSION ${PC_ALLEGRO_VERSION}) 32 33if(Allegro_FOUND) 34 set(Allegro_LIBRARIES ${Allegro_LIBRARY}) 35 set(Allegro_INCLUDE_DIRS ${Allegro_INCLUDE_DIR}) 36 set(Allegro_DEFINITIONS ${PC_Allegro_CFLAGS_OTHER}) 37endif() 38 39if(Allegro_FOUND AND NOT TARGET Allegro::Allegro) 40 add_library(Allegro::Allegro UNKNOWN IMPORTED) 41 set_target_properties(Allegro::Allegro PROPERTIES 42 IMPORTED_LOCATION "${Allegro_LIBRARIES}" 43 INTERFACE_COMPILE_OPTIONS "${Allegro_DEFINITIONS}" 44 INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES "${Allegro_INCLUDE_DIRS}" 45 ) 46endif() 47 48# Seatch Allegro Add-Ons and include them in the variables 49# will set Allegro_FOUND to 0 if any Add-on is not found. 50foreach(component ${Allegro_FIND_COMPONENTS}) 51 pkg_search_module(PC_Allegro_${component} QUIET allegro_${component}-5) 52 if("${PC_Allegro_${component}_FOUND}") 53 find_path(Allegro_${component}_INCLUDE_DIR 54 NAMES allegro_${component}.h 55 PATHS "${PC_Allegro_${component}_INCLUDE_DIRS}" 56 PATH_SUFFIXES allegro5 57 ) 58 59 find_library(Allegro_${component}_LIBRARY 60 NAMES allegro_${component} allegro_${component}-5 61 PATH "${PC_Allegro_${component}_LIBRARY_DIRS}" 62 ) 63 64 set(Allegro_${component}_FOUND "${PC_Allegro_${component}_FOUND}") 65 66 if(Allegro_${component}_FOUND AND NOT TARGET Allegro::${component}) 67 add_library(Allegro::${component} UNKNOWN IMPORTED) 68 set_target_properties(Allegro::${component} PROPERTIES 69 IMPORTED_LOCATION "${Allegro_${component}_LIBRARY}" 70 INTERFACE_COMPILE_OPTIONS "${PC_Allegro_${component}_CFLAGS_OTHER}" 71 INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES "${Allegro_${component}_INCLUDE_DIR}" 72 ) 73 endif() 74 75 mark_as_advanced(Allegro_${component}_INCLUDE_DIR Allegro_${component}_LIBRARY) 76 else() 77 message([FATAL_ERROR] "The Allegro ${component} Add-On was not found!") 78 break() 79 endif() 80endforeach() 81 82include(FindPackageHandleStandardArgs) 83find_package_handle_standard_args(Allegro 84 FOUND_VAR Allegro_FOUND 85 REQUIRED_VARS 86 Allegro_LIBRARY 87 Allegro_INCLUDE_DIR 88 VERSION_VAR Allegro_VERSION 89 HANDLE_COMPONENTS 90) 91 92mark_as_advanced(Allegro_FOUND Allegro_INCLUDE_DIR Allegro_VERSION Allegro_LIBRARY)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

Yeah... It's one issue I still have, whenever I find a way to reliably find Allegro in Windows I might update it. For now it only works in Windows if you use mingw-w64 and I imagine it will work in Cygwin as well. But not on native MSBuild or using the VS compiler

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

We actually don't create the pkg-config files for MSYS either. I think we should, but it's just not implemented.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

Huh... That's interesting... I used pacman to install allegro on msys2 and it included the pkg-config files... So who made those?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Huh! Apparently we just don't do it by default, but if you do -DINSTALL_PKG_CONFIG_FILES=on, they'll get enabled. That's neat.

Incidentally, if you want, we could add this to Allegro's official source.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

Sure no problem at all, include it on the source. Once I finish adding whatever check is missing I'll make a pull request to update it. Thanks!

Go to: