Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [resurrection hack] Timetable

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[resurrection hack] Timetable
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Hey Everybody

I invite you to try my resurrection hack entry: Timetable

Linux binary and source version: http://www.amarillion.org/speedhack/timetable-src-linux-x86-bin-resurrectionhack-2018-edition.tgz
Windows binary version: http://www.amarillion.org/speedhack/timetable-win-resurrectionhack-2018-edition.zip

{"name":"GIFrecord_2018-04-02_131206_98RZpS1.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/5\/653c70809178e09e8bb4a117bc438caa.gif","w":760,"h":501,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/5\/653c70809178e09e8bb4a117bc438caa"}GIFrecord_2018-04-02_131206_98RZpS1.gif

Right-click to drag the map around. Build rails and stations using the toolbar on the top. To build a train, click on a station and click the "add train" button.

The goal of the game is to connect all cities with a rail network. In Menu->Timetable, you can see which cities are connected and which connections are still outstanding.

Use the toolbar in the top to build:
P to pick objects (stations or trains)
S to build stations
+R to add rails
-R to remove rails
X to demolish
TL to build traffic lights (not functional)

The original was from TINS 2006. I had already mostly ported it to Allegro 5, but it was in a bad state because a major dependency, MASkinG, is not compatible with Allegro 5.

Added during the competition:

• Trains consist of a locomotive + 2 wagons instead of just one wagon

• New track tiles with round corners.

• Fixed many GUI bugs and display glitches (but many remain still)

• You can no longer build straight over a town but have to do an expensive demolition first

• You can now edit the program of a train. Trains are assigned a random destination at the start, but you can override that.

There is still a lot on my wishlist, for example:

• No collision detection on trains. They go through each other like ghosts

• Traffic lights don't work. You can build them, but they don't do anything.

• build tracks in 8 directions.

• Passengers should have a destination, and change trains until they get there.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I like the cities - and how it magically knows the name of the train station I build :) I seemed to be making a lot more money from my trains than I could ever spend.

I wasn't sure if it matters where I build my train stations - far out in the country, or close to the town-hall, or close to many buildings...

Also, whenever I build a train, I can't figure out how to select the two stations. It seems to have two random ones pre-configured and I can pick them or not but it does not make any difference.

For example I'm missing Arnheim <-> Maastricht, but building a train on either of the two stations is not showing me a connection to the other one.

Also, for some cities I built multiple stations, but the timetable is not showing connections from any city to itself. I can clearly see the message about "First train arrives in Maastricht with passengers from Maastricht" but in the timetable Maastricht<->Maastricht is not showing.

Also, if I go to Help->About, then press the Return key twice I get a segfault.

Just building lots of random trains eventually filled the timetable... :)

{"name":"611407","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/8\/286a050b688b089d47f7c2d8ef24be00.png","w":1292,"h":755,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/8\/286a050b688b089d47f7c2d8ef24be00"}611407

[edit: btw. the windows zip has the .exe in the wrong location if you want to just click on it to run it, without opening a terminal]

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Elias said:

For example I'm missing Arnheim <-> Maastricht, but building a train on either of the two stations is not showing me a connection to the other one.

It's true that the train is pre-programmed with a random program, but have you managed to change the program by pressing the "Pick" button, and then clicking on a station on the map? The program should update to the station you selected.

btw I see you've translated the game to German already :) Nice :)

Quote:

Also, for some cities I built multiple stations, but the timetable is not showing connections from any city to itself.

I can explain with code...

void TimeTable::setArrivalTime (int idSrcCity, int idDestCity, int dTime)
{
  if (idSrcCity == idDestCity) return;
}

Conceptually, the table should show the shortest time between cities (not between stations). This is to encourage you to make faster routes with optimally placed extra stations. The shortest travel time from Amsterdam to Amsterdam is always 0. I mean somebody could travel from Amsterdam North to Amsterdam South, but the guy traveling from Amsterdam Centraal to Amsterdam Centraal would always have a faster time.

Quote:

Also, if I go to Help->About, then press the Return key twice I get a segfault.

Ok, I should fix that.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

That looks so cool. I'm def gonna try it. I love TTD (and OpenTTD).

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

have you managed to change the program by pressing the "Pick" button, and then clicking on a station on the map?

No, I completely missed that. Maybe there should be a text saying "Pick on map" on that dialog to make it obvious?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Go to: