Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Forward slashes break the audio codec system

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Forward slashes break the audio codec system
roger levy
Member #2,513
July 2002

While trying to track down why I was unable to stream an .IT and an .XM file but .OGG's were OK, I tried changing the forward slashes (/) to back slashes (\), and everything works now. (Hopefully I didn't get those mixed up)

Stranger still, the bug seems to disable the ability to stream any more files after the first tracker module specified using forward slashes.

Don't know if this is universal, but I am experiencing it on Windows.

UPDATE: Things are getting weirder ... now just my .IT test file does not play, and throws an exception.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

What OS?

What specific Allegro version?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

roger levy
Member #2,513
July 2002

Windows 10, 5.2.3

Update: I cannot play any .IT files. Which is bad because converting doesn't seem possible for all the songs I plan on using - end up with glitches.

Update #2: I've had enough of Allegro's Audio API in general; it is so hard to use. Switching to FMOD - got up and running and playing IT files in a matter of minutes.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Err... were those slashes in the paths you passed to al_load_audio_stream and such? It just uses the file routines, there shouldn't be any filetype specific difference.

I've had enough of Allegro's Audio API in general; it is so hard to use. Switching to FMOD - got up and running and playing IT files in a matter of minutes.

That's the nice thing about it being an addon, don't even need to link it if you don't want it.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

roger levy
Member #2,513
July 2002

None of what I was experiencing made any sense and usage is so complicated I was second guessing myself at every turn. Glad to be rid of it.

I am still keeping the old code around in my engine for people who don't want to deal with FMOD licensing.

Go to: