Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Wiki article edits

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Wiki article edits
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I made some major changes to the following two wiki articles - please let me know if there is anything you think could be done better.

https://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Windows,_Code::Blocks_and_Allegro_5

https://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Installing_MinGW

There could be other compilers listed in the second article. If you feel there is one worth mentioning, I'll add it to the list.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

• I think that you should explain why mingw.org is no longer recommended. I personally don't know, and would find it suspicious to bypass the main Web site without a good explanation.

• I think you should avoid using "I" in a wiki article. Just cite yourself by name. It's not relevant that you wrote the article in this case, and since anybody can edit it it doesn't make sense to have such a reference. For example, somebody could write something that you don't agree with it and it will look like you wrote it.

• You should probably avoid linking to a particular A.cc thread because that will likely become outdated unless you stay on-top of things. It also requires jumping around between sites which may be unnerving for a beginner. It would probably be better to maintain a single Wiki article with the latest binaries or even better an index/history of your binary links and duplicate it with announcements on A.cc if desired (or simply link to the wiki when you announce them on A.cc).

• Quote:

Note: While Code::Blocks comes with an embedded version of MinGW, it is recommended to use a standalone version such as the one linked above.

[citation needed] :) Explain the reasons so everybody can understand.

Some of this commentary likely belongs on the wiki itself, but I'm not very familiar with wiki editing, and it doesn't seem that you can start a conversation about a particular article (or I just can't figure it out).

Where is ReyBrujo when you need him?! :-*

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

I think that you should explain why mingw.org is no longer recommended.

Well, it's my recommendation that it no longer be used. I've been a faithful supporter over the years, but it's much harder to build allegro with vanilla mingw than it is with other versions. They're stuck on GCC 5.3, while MinGW-W64 is on GCC 7.1 likely with GCC 8 on the way. It's a no brainer.

bamccaig said:

I think you should avoid using "I" in a wiki article. Just cite yourself by name. It's not relevant that you wrote the article in this case, and since anybody can edit it it doesn't make sense to have such a reference. For example, somebody could write something that you don't agree with it and it will look like you wrote it.

You should probably avoid linking to a particular A.cc thread because that will likely become outdated unless you stay on-top of things. It also requires jumping around between sites which may be unnerving for a beginner. It would probably be better to maintain a single Wiki article with the latest binaries or even better an index/history of your binary links and duplicate it with announcements on A.cc if desired (or simply link to the wiki when you announce them on A.cc).

Got it. Done.

bamccaig said:

Some of this commentary likely belongs on the wiki itself, but I'm not very familiar with wiki editing, and it doesn't seem that you can start a conversation about a particular article (or I just can't figure it out).

If you log in, you will see a talk page tab at the top of each wiki article

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

When I get through this long haul of health/work issues, I'm going to work more on D and game programming. I'll be contributing some videos and maybe wiki articles.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: