Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Thanks for the help

Credits go to bamccaig, Edgar Reynaldo, LennyLen, and Thomas Fjellstrom for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thanks for the help
Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

In this thread, I asked for recommendations for another version of linux which works with UEFI. I got a lot of suggestions and some help trying to get Fedora to work. I finally threw in the towel and went with Ubuntu Gnome. (If you are laughing, please tell me why). The thread locked before I could give credits, but I wanted to say thanks. So post here and I will give cookies.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I didn't help in that thread, but I've been craving cookies all day.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I haven't had a chance to really try it out yet, but it seems pretty good. So far, I have had a few bug reports but they went away. It won't run obj files, but I think that is a rights issue.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I likes the Debian Jessie (8.x), and Stretch/Sid (9.x). AFAIK they both support UEFI just fine. But you'll want to make sure your motherboard doesn't require any funky BS wrt EFI booting. I've had problems with older boards.

I basically boot all my machines via UEFI now, mostly cause its convenient to keep configs similar and a few of them run windows 10 as well, and that defaults to uefi.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I begrudgingly use Ubuntu because it's most compatible with Steam and Steam games. It's generally an OK distro for home use. It does teach bad habits, like unrestricted sudo, but that can be a convenience on a workstation. Just don't take that with you onto a server..

I despise Gnome 3 because the UI is inefficient. Whereas with Gnome 2 (now MATE) you can quickly find applications and launch them, Gnome 3 (when I last tried it) required lots of clicks and jumping through hoops to do basic things you did all the time. They aimed for trying to resemble Windows 7 instead of just trying to make a good, efficient UI. Another complaint can be that it's slow compared to Gnome 2 and requires beefier hardware to power it well.

Append:

Bob Keane said:

It won't run obj files, but I think that is a rights issue.

Last time I checked obj files are not executable. ??? Perhaps there's some special type that is? In any case, the usual requirement for executing anything in Linux is that the current user needs the executable bit set (i.e., chmod ${class}+x ${file} e.g., chmod ugo+x foo.obj (where u=user, g=group, o=others). That will tell the system that the file can be executed, but the system still needs to know how to execute it. Text files have a shebang header. Binary files are probably routed to a default elf binary loader or something like that. ???

Append:

Apparently the antiquated COFF format used the .o or .obj file format. But it seems odd that you would end up with a COFF file on a modern Unix-like system... Seems COFF is no longer supported by the Linux kernel, but you can convert to an ELF binary using objcopy(1).

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I misunderstood the problem. Although I was compiling okay, I was not linking the files. The guide I was following said all I had to do was click the build and run option. I am currently looking for a guide that tells how to set up the linker. As to Gnome, it looks more like Windows 8 than 7. I hate 8.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sorry, yes, 8, not 7. My mistake. I'm rusty in Windows (I use 10 at j0rb now).

As for the object file confusion, we can probably help if you tell us what tools you're using. On the command line typically you use gcc or g++ to compile and link programs (it may require 1, 2, or n invocations depending on how you to do it). IIRC, the ar utility can be used to combine multiple objects into a single static library. The GCC tools are capable of outputting a shared object file too (the equivalent of Windows' DLL).

I assume you're trying to use some kind of IDE. In Linux, I recommend against that just because the usual approach is the command line, but to each his own. In any case, if you learn how to use the command line tools that will likely give you a leg up on figuring out why your IDE is misconfigured.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Yep, I'm trying to use code::blocks. I (sh)would use the command line but I don't want to learn and remember extra commands and files to link.

Go to: