Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Blackberry Priv security fail wtf?!

Credits go to Erin Maus for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Blackberry Priv security fail wtf?!
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

While reading a seemingly legit page entitled "LG G5 review: 2016's cleverest smartphone is having some problems ..." and hosted on alphr.com, using the default Chrome on a Blackberry Priv (supposedly one of the most secure Android phones available), I found my browser hijacked by some dodgy popups along the lines of (variously):

• Your phone have Virus

• Please install this update for your Blackberry Priv to continue

• Your stuffs is being stolenz

Just smoke and mirrors implemented using JavaScript, surely to goodness - definitely not Blackberry's fault, nor Chrome's.

And then I got a missed call from a number in America, which I Googled and it's one of those Indian "you have virus please sir" numbers.

So Chrome revealed my phone number to a dodgy website - on a Blackberry Priv?!

In fairness, there has been an (actual) OS update sitting waiting for ages which I'm only now (in reaction) installing, but still, I'm shocked. I've also gone into the permissions settings and turned off all of Chrome's.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Does the GSM module in the Priv share the same bus or have access to the the RAM and other hardware of the phone?

A phone is only as secure as its GSM module if it doesn't, and GSM modules are riddled with security flaws.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

False alarm - the number left me a message which I finally listened to, and it was Amazon trying to verify an order I placed today, for which I entered a new address, then changed it to a pickup location, then changed it back - and all from my phone which I possibly haven't used for Amazon purchases before. They gave me the last two digits of my card as well. Not that I could manage to get any intelligent life out of Amazon when I tried to follow it up. ::)

The only mystery then is why the Internet thought that number was dodgy, but everything else adds up.

Does the GSM module in the Priv share the same bus or have access to the the RAM and other hardware of the phone?

I have no idea - how do you think one would find out?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I have no idea - how do you think one would find out?

No clue. BlackBerry doesn't provide any information that I could find. At most I found some mention about a 'layered defense', but no specifics.

It's a shame. I'd like a genuinely secure cell phone.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

A secure cell phone doesn't exist precisely because it's not in anybody's interest except the user (who doesn't get a say). The vendor and service provider want an insecure device so that they can modify it remotely and probably harvest data. The government wants insecure devices so that they can spy on the citizens. We won't be able to attain secure phones until enough people are concerned about it (unfortunately, most people couldn't give a fuck) and insist on open hardware and software (both must be open for an audit-able device).

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

So the final piece of the puzzle is explained by the second Google result for that number: caller ID can be spoofed! So, the call I received was most likely genuine, but other people have received scam calls that appeared to come from that number too.

Good to know.

Sorry bambams, instead of a cookie, you get this video ;)

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I like the animation in that video.

---
they / she

Go to: