Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Installing win7 from product key

Credits go to Bob Keane and MiquelFire for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Installing win7 from product key
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I've come into possession of a computer with Windows 7, it's one of those slimline jobs with only 2 sata ports, one for DVD and another for hard drive and no room for a second hard drive. It has a 1Tb drive with a hidden partition to reinstall Windows but I want to reformat it with a Windows partition and a couple of Linux partitions. There's a product key on a label on the case.

Will simply entering this product key make it work forever, or would I have to call Microsoft to "verify" it? I don't want to allow Windows on the internet because of all the shenanigans MS has been pulling for the last year or so. If I can't just install w/o involving MS I think I'd just set the hard drive aside and install something else on another terabyte drive I have handy.

Cookies await.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Unless something change, you will need to contact MS. And if something did change, you need to go online to download whatever update allowed it to not need to contact MS.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Unless something change, you will need to contact MS. And if something did change, you need to go online to download whatever update allowed it to not need to contact MS.

So if you have a computer with no internet access you can't install Windows? I thought there was a way to phone in? If you can phone in, they tell you a number to type into Windows to activate it? And the same number will work on subsequent re-installs?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Oh, you don't mind calling. Then yea, you should be able to call them to install it.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Oh, you don't mind calling.

Do you know just how that works? I can write down whatever they tell me on the phone and reinstall maybe in a year when it needs it or I mess it up without calling in yet again?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I haven't needed to call for Windows, so I don't know.

---
MiquelFire.red

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I have installed W7 without notifying MS. The disk I used did not have drivers for networking.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I guess I'll just try it on an unused disk and see what happens.
Here's your cookies.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Mmmmmmmm. Fresh from the oven.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's been years since I installed Windows 7, but back in the day you didn't need to contact Microsoft for my license (I think it's Ultimate, and it's collecting dust on a shelf, literally). I'd be surprised and annoyed if you had to now, but it would only reinforce why it's collecting dust on a shelf. Though I think they've required "activation" by some means (online or by phone) since the XP days. That said, unless you wanted to preserve the Windows drive and recovery partition there should be no need to install Linux to a separate drive. You should be able to overwrite the main drive... At least, I don't see why not.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

bamccaig said:

you didn't need to contact Microsoft for my license (I think it's Ultimate

Wasn't there some sort of business version that didn't have to do that? Was it called Enterprise?

[EDIT] I just tried downloading the ISO from MS and got this:

Error

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Are you fucking kidding me?! >:( >:( >:( I would be so pissed I'd never buy a Microsoft computer again (I still probably won't).

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I <ahem> "acquired" an iso and installed it in a VM and tried the phone activation setup thing. There was a 36 digit number to type in to an automated phone system which would apparently recite another 36 digits that you would enter on the computer to get activated. I shut this VM down for awhile, then started it back up again to see if that 36 digit number would stay the same, and it was. But then I deleted the VM and reinstalled everything the same again and it came up with a different number, so I guess you have to call in every time. I'm guessing it's probably based on time of day on install, vanishingly small chance of getting it exactly the same twice by fiddling with the time in CMOS.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

It's much more likely to be a unique, random value generated from entropy during install (or some other one-time event) used in some cryptographic system.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Wasn't there some sort of business version that didn't have to do that? Was it called Enterprise?

Volume License versions do not require activation.

Quote:

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

OEM versions require the OEM software. So a Dell keys requires a Dell version of Windows. The OEM is likely labeled on the sticker as well, and I have heard of people modifying versions of windows to accept OEM licenses, but that takes some degree of fiddling...

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I haven't fiddled with it since the previous post, probably just going to keep using the Windows hard drive as is, and plug another hard drive into the other SATA port for Linux, if I need DVD I have a USB DVD drive available. This will mean leaving the computer open with at least one disk hanging out, but I've been doing this with the current computer since 2012.

Go to: