Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » How computers store negative numbers

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
How computers store negative numbers
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

This is a very good video describing how computers handle negative numbers. They actually subtract by adding as well. He does a great job of describing the problem and a very nice solution.

I love all the videos these guys do. I don't remember if I shared this in the past, but it is useful to know.

video

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I think you have shared this guy's videos before.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Its called 2's compliment addition and back in my day we did it all on paper and had to show the logic diagram using NAND logic for a full 8 bit adder. Now get off my lawn!

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Neil, are you NiteHackr? :D

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I definitely remember going over 1's complement in my technical college math course and I suspect we went over 2's complement too, but perhaps grazed over it quicker. Nevertheless, it's a welcome refresher to go back to basics. I imagine somebody with a computer science doctorate or math degree wouldn't find this very interesting, but it'll probably spark interest in the rest of us. :)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Quote:

Neil, are you NiteHackr? :D

Could be. ;) It's a very OLD handle I used in the early days of the internet when they could only be 9 characters long. These days I prefer to use my real name if possible.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: