Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Monogame

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Monogame
Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I need someone to defend Allegro for me...
And all my efforts working on a project using it :)

http://www.monogame.net/

Supposedly it's easy to port to consoles with monogame.
Where's that PS4 port of Allegro? :'(

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Monogame sounds too good to be true.....

The docs are kind of lacking if you ask me.

But as you noticed, console and mobile support with allegro is spotty. I'm not even sure what platforms A5 supports anymore. Someone else will have to answer that.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

It does seem a bit too good too be true, and I bet any active PS4 development will be quite some time in the future. If I were targeting the non-console platforms with a new game I would probably make a different choice. The docs for Xamarin aren't too bad, it has come a long way. It apparently also has a "MonoGame" module :P

It wont get you on the consoles though.... that's.. that's a different world it seems.

Personally I want to target Android eventually... eventually.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I played Axiom Verge on the PS4 (platinum suckas) and read in the credits it was made in monogame. I don't know how much code needs to be adjusted for each platform, but I can't deny that it ported to a console where I could buy the game in the PS Store.

I highly recommend that game by the way, especially to Allegro members.

I just hope Allegro has some edge on it, like producing native machine code whereas monogame is interpreted. Something like that, but I don't know. We can't be defeated!

[Website] [Youtube]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Can confirm that Axiom Verge is awesome.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Is there anyone who will defend Allegro's honor? :-[

[Website] [Youtube]

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Allegro is for people who like its API, and prefer using a native/systems language. If using C, it's one of the better libraries I'd say. If you're basing your choice on a different set of criteria (like platform support), you'll probably find libraries that are better for you.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Yawn. All that bloat. Documentation "in progress". :-/

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

With Allegro you get a light weight, fast, well documented C library that compiles in many places. Using a bloated C# library may give some comfort to the C# addicts, but won't give you the same high performance. Most contemporary games are still written in C or C++, simply because you will hit a wall of performance issues with most other languages. If you want your game to run on PS4, you would have to make a port of Allegro, but the effort of that will pay itself back in the enhanced performance.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

We have a small, relatively unknown game studio here in Toronto called Ubisoft. One of their recruiters was recently hired at my job, and we got to have a nice talk over beers. She said, basically, all their codebase is C++ and that's what they hire for.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Ubisoft is more well known than you think, especially for XBox.

Was meant as a joke. :D They're like one of the biggest.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

MonoGame looks cool. I'll file it in the back of my head.

SiegeLord said:

If using C, it's one of the better libraries I'd say.

I agree, and this is why I use Allegro.

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

I did understand the joke... ;D

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

How long is it until threads lock again? How do you know what date a reply was posted?

[Website] [Youtube]

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

IIRC threads in Allegro.cc are locked in one week without any response. Don't know about http://www.monogame.net/... ::)

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Felix, you know about Recent Threads, right? You can see the date for the last post in the rightmost column of that page, so you know when a thread is about to lock. The date is also stamped on every post.

If you look closely, you can see that the Allegro Development forum threads don't close for two weeks. Not sure if that is the case with any other boards.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

The date is also stamped on every post.

Ah, I see. I thought that was the case but I was confused because the mobile version of the site only shows the time of day it was posted ::)

Append:
Actually, it looks like the date goes away when I log in (it's visible offline) Guess I need to adjust my settings.

Confused:
I changed my date/time settings but it still doesn't show the date when I'm logged in.

[Website] [Youtube]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Wish I had thought of that. I think something similar happens when you change your avatar. I came back to it after a while and now it seems to work. ;D

[Website] [Youtube]

SquizzZ
Member #4,174
December 2003

MonoGame is nothing but open source (API compatible) continuation of Microsoft's XNA framework, when Microsoft killed it.

Some differences between Allegro and MonoGame are:
- MonoGame is C#, Allegro is C
- MonoGame has runtime overhead, Allegro is native
- MonoGame requires Mono framework

But it is nice library if you prefer C# to C/C++..

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Aww man. I saw it said it is C# but you really can't mingle C++ with it at all? Bummer.

I thought it was like how Allegro is C but you can mix C++ with it. I guess because C code is valid C++ code.

[Website] [Youtube]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Ubisoft is more of a publisher than a developer, as I understand. And they've pissed off the gaming community with intrusive DRM and the like for years. They're on the shit list. I don't imagine it's much fun being "employed" by them either. The games industry is famed for being a shit industry to work in and you don't get to prominence and power in such an industry by being the exception.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

Ubisoft is more of a publisher than a developer, as I understand. And they've pissed off the gaming community with intrusive DRM and the like for years.

They actually do quite a bit of development across their various development studios (of which there are roughly 26 spread across the globe).[1]

Ubisoft: Montreal is actually one of the largest game development studios in the world. [2]

But yes, the reason you probably know them as mainly publishers is due to their issues with their DRM systems over the years (and also that they do publish lots of games too).

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Go to: