Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The most unexpected Windows 10 feature

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
The most unexpected Windows 10 feature
torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Windows 10 added a Linux subsystem, and comes with Ubuntu stuff. I just ran sudo apt upgrade:
{"name":"610531","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/1\/318f3509bf19c0bd013409c8dce88f18.png","w":659,"h":578,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/1\/318f3509bf19c0bd013409c8dce88f18"}610531

Not that I have actually used this for anything, mind you ;D

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

How much can this subsystem interact with Windows, except beyond some basics like the file system? I have some VirtualBox VMs with Ubuntu, so I don't know what benefits I'd have to try this out.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I have no idea, sorry. I think the idea is that M$ wants you to use Windows instead of Linux for web development. So I guess running a LAMP stack is supposed to work...

I have Linux Mint installed in VirtualBox, which works well enough that I see no reason to try out this Linux on Windows feature. I wouldn't trust it for Linux development, and I have no good reason to try either. So yeah :P

Time will tell if anybody actually cares about this, I guess.

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

From what I recall, Microsoft is also still finding the target demographic for this feature. It can run several CLI programs found in Ubuntu's repositories but they still don´t want you running a production server with it.

So basically they want you to develop on an environment and then deploy on a ccompletelydifferent environment.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Not that silly, they want developers to use Windows as their development machine, probably to prevent Linux from making inroads on the desktop. While Linux is wildly successful in on servers and on handhelds in it's Android incarnation, it's still not broken through on the desktop. This is probably yet another attempt of Microsoft to keep it that way.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Yeah, that seems a likely explanation. I wouldn't be surprised if among the people I study with, the number of Mac and Ubuntu users combined outnumber the Windows users. But I'm studying informatics, so...

IIRC, the Linux subsystem originated as part of a now abandoned Android-to-Windows bridge that would let you run Android apps on Windows. They have just repurposed it.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Also it's not the first time they did this. They has a POSIX subsystem fron NT about a decade ago in the hopes it would get people to port their unix server software, to help them stay competitive in the server market. It didn't work out and AFAIK they dropped it. I also think it will fail this time, and it will get droppped eventualy, but for the time being...

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I've read somewhere that Microsoft is in a generation update state. I mean ('cause I read that in Spanish) that old people in Microsoft are leaving the company, including the decision positions, so younger people are taking the control. Despite these younger people were working in Microsoft for a long time, they looks more open minded or less old school than the older ones.

To be sincere, I'm not sure if that's true, but if they make Windows less shit, they're welcome.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I had the way MS arranges stuff, and well.. The fact they want money for it. But from the side of software.. Meh. Then Win7 does literally all I want. And it also just works, pretty much without making any trouble.

I skipped Windows 8, and well.. Perhaps Windows 10 will consume me one day. But it may take a decade, or it maybe Linux by then.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This is purely a developer tool. They have no plans to make it fully functional. I don't know how long they'll actually maintain it. In any case, I don't think it adds much value when you can just run a VM or install something like Cygwin and SSH to the real thing (not quite as good as the real thing, but close). I don't think it's possible to execute Windows commands from the Ubuntu subsystem, but that's from a faint memory... I haven't actually managed to install it yet. I imagine I will eventually install it on my j0rb machine (I don't run Windows at home, though I suppose I could commandeer my fiancée's computer while she's out...) and experiment with it there.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Well, I just used it to do an assignment in introductory BASH scripting, this feature saved me having to use Linux in a VM 8-)

APPEND:
The BASH setup that comes with Git for Windows seems to be better integrated with Windows. They both have bugs and quirks so I guess it depends on the task at hand which one you would use.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Go to: