Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Strange OS Question I Can't Google - Windows 7

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Strange OS Question I Can't Google - Windows 7
Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I can't seem to phrase my question in a way to get relevant results in a search engine. Perhaps one of you has encountered this though.

When I boot up my computer and log in, it will connect to my wifi network, and that network tray icon with the 5 bars acts like the mouse is over it (place your mouse over it and the network name will show up in the bubble and below it will say internet access)

The bubble goes away if I first manually mouse over the icon to "refresh" it when I move the mouse away, but this minor annoyance frustrates me a little more every time it happens. The bubble is always on top of whatever I am doing and requires my attention every time.

Any advice?

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

scannow /sfc

System file check.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Drivers, wifi driver.

I had a bug with mine (wifi device) and at each boot I was forced to disable/enable the device in the device manager for it to work (RTL8723AE for reference).

I didn't found any other fix than make a script and call it with the task manager at each opening session.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

You're looking at the task tray. It usually has a little UP arrow on the left side of it that shows "more icons". You should see "Customize..." when you click that arrow. Find your wifi icon in this list and change the behavior to "Hide icon and notifications".

All that does is force the icon to appear in the "more icons" list and not sit next to your clock. The icons don't disappear; they simply don't show their notification bubbles anymore to tell you that you've got all those wonderful wifi networks that it can join.

In the same way, you can force certain icons to always show: ones you access frequently or just like to have visible (like the CPU usage icon).

Is that what you mean?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The issue he having is that the notification comes up and never goes away on its own. I'm not sure if he wants to completely hide the icon by default anyway.

Think of it as a tooltip that comes up and doesn't go away until you interact with the item it popped from in some way, and by default, all other tooltips just disappear after a while.

I'm not sure if he talking about the Task tray bubble or something else in this case. The pop-up might be something that the suggestion you gave may not even block. I have seen WiFi drivers pop-up actual windows to give you info about being connected.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

This is what happens when I mouseover the icon (I am manually doing it, the cursor is hidden in the screenshot)

The problem is this bubble appears when I boot and persists until I manually mouseover to achieve "focus" then move the mouse to "remove focus"

I don't understand why it appears automatically in the first place :/

It's a minor issue but one I will deal with every single day until I fix it.

{"name":"help.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/9\/a9741e300bc629799ae6baf254478a5a.png","w":777,"h":394,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/9\/a9741e300bc629799ae6baf254478a5a"}help.png

/sfc SCANNOW didn't come up with anything, by the way.

[Website] [Youtube]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

The above URL is a great solution to the problem. I'm sure I'll be required to use it sooner or later. So.. type568 search flag @ google: "type568 search flag" site:allegro.cc will come to my help one day. Perhaps without the quotes, since I might forget the word "search".

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Indeed that may be something to try in the future.

I didn't get to do that this time; for some reason it appears to have stopped even though I don't remember taking any specific action to remedy it :/

[Website] [Youtube]

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Did you try putting on the rightmost side of the task bar, where it is by default? Could be that they have never tested your setup.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

You know, I don't think I ever tried just D&D those icons to rearrange them. That is definitely something I wish I did try, but at the moment it seems to have incidentally resolved itself. :)

[Website] [Youtube]

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

I have no videos. I tweet jokes when I'm stressed, though. https://twitter.com/OnlineCop

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

OnlineCop, did you mean to post in this thread?

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Update:
It started happening again.

I tried all the advice in the thread Arthur posted, but it appears to be a different issue and doesn't solve the one I am having.

Related?
Every time I get specific commands from the internet I always have to look up the actual syntax/usage since my system never accepts it (e.g. Chris' post and the command referenced heavily in Arthur's article)

I look in system32 and the commands are named differently and when I call them I need to type /? to get the parameters I can specify because even those are different than what evidently works for others. (I could've just stopped the process in task manager anyway)

TL;DR
Problem not solved. H3LP PL0X

[Website] [Youtube]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I wonder if it's a hardware/input issue... :-/ Could you try swapping peripherals. Make your computer as simple as it can be to narrow down the suspect. Detach all optional peripherals, charging devices, etc. If you have extra mouse and keyboard try changing those. If the computer has built-in hardware try using just that, or try disabling that entirely and using USB peripherals.

Go to: