Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Problem installing 5.1 binary

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Problem installing 5.1 binary
Peter Gill
Member #15,850
January 2015

Ok, I am using MinGW and found out that there are official pre-compiled builds of the 5.1 branch on liballeg.org. I figured I would try them out (I have been using 5.0.10 up to this point from allegro.cc here) as I will inevitably want to try out the video plugin. Now, I downloaded the following file:

mingw-w64-i686-allegro-5.1.11-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

and, using 7-zip just plopped the bin, include, and lib folders into c:\mingw. Linking liballegro_monolith (using Code::Blocks) with a project that had worked just fine with 5.0.10 it successfully compiles, but when I run it I get a number of missing dll errors. Specifically:

libjpeg-8.dll
libfreetype-6.dll
libpng16-16.dll

I've already tried compiling Allegro 5.1 myself to see if that would be a better rout to take, but I've tried to follow a number of tutorials on the wiki and even if I could get it to compile correctly, it's just really convenient to use pre-build binaries. Am I just going to have to go looking for these dlls online, or am I missing something?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

That file is meant to be installed with msys2 (so it'll grab those dependencies for you). 5.1.13 release will have a different method for MinGW binaries with dependencies included, so perhaps wait for that (hopefully I'll get around to it soon).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Peter Gill
Member #15,850
January 2015

Ah, ok. Thanks for the quick response. :) I'm hoping the plan is for all future versions to have the dependencies included option for MinGW? I don't like having to rely on other people's binaries, but as I said before I just can't figure out how to do it on my own. :P

Go to: