Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Some PC help, please

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Some PC help, please
SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I am having a very frustrating issue with my PC lately. I started getting artifacts all over my screen one day so my first assumption was that my video card had finally kicked the bucket after so many years. Taking it out and using onboard video worked fine which reinforced that idea.

So I went and bought a new video card...the artifacts didn't go away. I thought, well maybe the even older motherboard is starting to go haywire. So I got my hands on a different motherboard to test. The artifacts are gone but windows keeps crashing the nvidia driver( Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)). I uninstalled the drivers and installed an older version straight from the manufacturer but it didn't matter. No matter what I do, the driver keeps crashing.

If it's not the video card and it's not the motherboard, what is the next likely culprit? I don't see why a failing PSU would be causing a crashing driver rather than just a non-working video card. If the HD was failing, wouldn't I be having more severe and widespread issues?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

- RAM test.
- PSU test. (Under load!)
- CPU test.
- Different cable. Different monitor. To be sure.

It can also be the specific slot going bad.

These are extremely complex circuits and something as simple as a capacitor starting to lose capacitance can cause a variety of issues that seem completely random.

Also, make sure everything is clean. No accumulation of dust anywhere (including in the PSU).

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Already did RAM test, all is well. Tried different monitor/cable, that changed nothing.

I don't have another cpu to test. What's a good way to stress test the PSU?

If it was a case of bad slot, shouldn't the new motherboard have fixed it? I air canned the crap out of my case so no dust.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I mean a CPU stress test.

PSU should get used heavily during a CPU stress test. You can throw a volt meter on it, or failing that, use one of those motherboard monitoring tools. But I rarely have luck with them getting the voltages correct since all of them have their own calibration offsets.

Changing the motherboard might be crashing because you're using the wrong drivers if it's the same HDD/installation. Try safe mode for starters.

In rare, sad cases, putting the defective card into a new motherboard fries the new slot as well. But hopefully this isn't the case.

[edit] Don't forget CPU temperature.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

What's a good way to stress test the PSU?

Seems to me that BAF's recommendation of testing voltages for the various wires would be enough. If there's enough volts, there's enough volts. Drawing more amperage than the PSU can supply would cause the volts to drop.

Test it when the problem occurs, obviously.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

BAF's

>:(

-----sig:

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You posted while I was writing my reply.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I'd assume it could be a combination of factors taking in to consideration the fact old GPU made trouble in a another PC, & new GPU made trouble in old mobo I'd assume both could be at fault. Not like it's of any help. Though another thing that I suppose can get wrong which nobody has mentioned here, is some NB fault. Or some connector issue in the mobo(GPU) which damaged the GPU's(mobo's) connectors.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's a long shot, but what if it's the power grid or host building itself? :-/ What if you aren't getting a clean signal from the grid?

Of course, I wouldn't rule out crappy drivers for the GPU. Proprietary vendors are very lazy. They'll prioritize and if your configuration isn't popular enough you'll end up on the shit list with updates nowhere in sight. You could always try out a live distribution of GNU+Linux to see if that could rule out software issues. It wouldn't entirely surprise me, but maybe I'm biased...

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Sigh, I did not fix anything. I kept hoping it was a driver issue so I kept wiping the current drivers and installing progressively older drivers. No luck. I then got a hold of a different PSU in the off chance that mine was bad. Still nothing.

So to recap. Original video card stopped working so I bought a new video card. That fixed the artifacts but the driver kept crashing at boot. So then I used a different mobo. That didn't fix anything. So I thought maybe the PSU is bad since its 5+ years old and used a different one. No dice.

My roommate's old gtx 250 is working just fine so I'm currently using that. My best idea is that the original video card died and then the replacement was DOA. Seems unlikely but that's the best case scenario.

Unless someone else has a new idea after reading this post.

Bam: Oddly, my usb stick with Ubuntu refuses to work. I've put Ubuntu on it twice but I still get an error(I forgot what) that freezes my PC. The stick itself isn't bad I think since I've used it before.

Edit: Of course now my friend's video card which was working just fine before is now randomly displaying lines across the screen and other artifacts from time to time.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

+1 on power grid fluctuations, use a UPS or current stabilizer and try again. Could be humidity problems? Improper grounding?

Oddly, my usb stick with Ubuntu refuses to work. I've put Ubuntu on it twice but I still get an error(I forgot what) that freezes my PC. The stick itself isn't bad I think since I've used it before.

Try plugging it to another USB port.

Try with the RAM sticks in different slots, or one at a time.

Try with a different PSU if you have one.

Try connecting stuff one at a time until problems arise (easier said than done).

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Sounds like the monitor is kaput tbh.

www.justanotherturn.com

Go to: